X-Mas/NYE finds

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
This softened the blow of being stranded in Nevada for 3 days.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    nice one!

• Damn Jonny - that'll pay for the hotel room!

• Ha! It's not in great shape. I'll have to see how it cleans up.

Good thing I'm staying with in-laws. Haha.

• just scored these at a housecall. guy said i was scooped by one guy who got all the sun ra's but i'm super greatful to end the year crossing off two of my white whales on the cheap: tom scott and ahmad jamal!!!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Not bad at all guys. I'm literally walking out the door to follow a few leads I got over the weekend. Wish me luck!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    JP: had your flights not been canceled, would you have found this?

• musica said:

Nope - it had probably been there a few days but I hadnt gotten out to the thrifts until today.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    This softened the blow of being stranded in Nevada for 3 days.

nice find!

• goddamn Jonny thats awesome. just that fact that fell into the right hands makes me happy. And even whipped that will do well for you. who on earth just let that go to a thrift? and then it wasnt caught by any "inside men" - especially in the bands home state? youd think more heads would be up.... amazing.

and congrats on that tom scott housecall score too - thats like everybodys white whale, and for whats on it, its always way too high on the bay. ive been trying to manifest one popping up in da field for years but no dice.

heres what i got over the last week or so....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    karlophone said:

oh, shit - "Edge of Reality" ... the "psychedelic" Elvis song!! haha

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

• tom scott [...] for whats on it, its always way too high on the bay.

i have been curious about what is driving (or at the very least sustaining) the interest and price on this.

personally, i love the record and all the tom scott california dreamers projects on impulse/flying dutchman (rural still life, cosmic brotherhood, head start, spontaneous combustion, oh! calcutta, etc...) but my impression is that the majority of people would find it to be really corny. as far as i know nobody grips on any of his other records that have a very similar sound.

so, is it because some producers have sampled it? is it because there are a bunch of folks who collect impulse and for some reason this was not pressed in as great numbers as some of the other titles on the label?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    tom scott [...] for whats on it, its always way too high on the bay.

i have been curious about what is driving (or at the very least sustaining) the interest and price on this.

personally, i love the record and all the tom scott california dreamers projects on impulse/flying dutchman (rural still life, cosmic brotherhood, head start, spontaneous combustion, oh! calcutta, etc...) but my impression is that the majority of people would find it to be really corny. as far as i know nobody grips on any of his other records that have a very similar sound.

so, is it because some producers have sampled it? is it because there are a bunch of folks who collect impulse and for some reason this was not pressed in as great numbers as some of the other titles on the label?

I would say it's mainly because of "Today" and Pete Rock's use of it. I'm sure the Impulse collectors are after this as well. Personally, "Today" was the reason I was after it, then when found my copy I wound up liking the whole record. I'd have to get a pretty serious offer for it to let it go. Plus, I was lucky enough to find a white label promo.

• spent my holidays travelling around southern bavaria and came up with a bunch of really nice finds. especially the thrift stores around wuerzburg are definetely worth to check out. the "bedazzled" and "because i am" were some cheap ebay finds for sure. happy new year!
    Attached files

• pt.2
    Attached files

• pt.3

mary lou williams is a spare one, so if somebody is interested please let me know.
    Attached files

• pt.4
    Attached files

• pt.5
    Attached files

• minimini 879 Posts

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    From the last few months (sorry for the double post for Waxi heads...)...

All of these except the bottom left two are from my trip to Japan.
    The bottom left two are courtesy of Rockadelic.

Everything except Byron Black is from Japan.
    The Chico and Blossom LPs are Japanese press and super sweet sounding.
    I've loved the Chico album ever since hearing Burt Reynolds drop "The Sage" in Boogie Nights.

Gene Clark has only the merest hint of ring wear.
    :lonerfolk:

Really enjoying the County comps!

I like having several versions of Sylvester & Beasley's tracks to choose from.

Not photographed but gripped yesterday and today:
    - John Fahey "The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death" (second press with booklet).
    - The Poppy Family "Which Way You Goin' Billy?"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Nice find on that Curtis Fuller, Rock!

I've sold that for $300 or so several times, plus it's pretty great.

Haze was waiting for me at the Berkeley Rasputin's new arrivals section and was $14.99. Also got the Mehrpouya reish there and was discounted to $9.99. Stock cover is private gospel soul from SF on the GSR custom label. Miles Davis is super clean and Bridge Over Troubled Water has a surprisingly good version of "El Condor Pasa", a trak that normally makes me :sick: (this LP is a spare if anyone needs it). Anyone know who sampled it? I know i've heard this somewhere but can't place it.

Hugo Blanco was the find of the week. Killer harp cumbias as sampled by DJ Lengua.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    sellout1 said:
    pt.5

:bizzo: assagai!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    musica said:

Nope - it had probably been there a few days but I hadnt gotten out to the thrifts until today.

....which would have been abundantly clear had I read your first post instead of being enamored by the pic! :cool:

Nice find, hope you get paid nicely for that.

• and some 45's:

Curtis Mayfield - The Makings of You b/w (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Gonna Go (Curtom)

The Whatnauts - Message From A Black Man b/w Dance To The Music (A&I Records)

Ella Andall and Shorty Vibration International - Hello Africa Pt. 1& 2 (Charlie's Records)

Yambu - Sunny b/w Caballo (Montuno)

Joel Dayde - Mammy Blue b/w You've Got Freedom (Riviera) ---Spanish Pressing

The Gary Burton Quartet - Fleurette Africaine b/w General Mojo Cuts Up (RCA/Victor)

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    sellout1 said:
    spent my holidays travelling around southern bavaria and came up with a bunch of really nice finds. especially the thrift stores around wuerzburg are definetely worth to check out. the "bedazzled" and "because i am" were some cheap ebay finds for sure. happy new year!

Hey Sebo! These are amazing finds! I`ve never been lucky enough to find such a big amount of great records at thrift stores around these parts. Have you really been travelling around Bavaria just to look for records?
    I`ve never heard of somebody who did this before. And I never thought it would be worth it.
    I`m a bit confused by your desription. Have you been in the north of Bavaria (W??rzburg) or in the south or both?

Happy new year y`all!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    deleted, double post

• SOI is about to post a $5 miracle any moment, with a good story to boot. Congrats homie.