X-Mas/NYE finds

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    axefoley said:
    SOI is about to post a $5 miracle any moment, with a good story to boot. Congrats homie.

haha, and of course my man axefoley was the first person I texted about this happening, like 2 minutes after I walked away with the record securely tucked under my arm. If the first record I found in 2011 is any indication of how things are going to go, this should be one hell of a year:

now for the cool story bro part, one that will have many of you thinking I'm crazy for almost giving this record up ... I was in a local record store tonight, flipping through bins, when a guy came in with a box of records to sell. The kid that was working told him to leave the box on the floor and came around to kneel down and flip through them. Naturally, I couldn't help peeking over his shoulder as he went through (while half-pretending to look through a 45 box on the counter) ... the box was almost all rinked classic rock chud, beat Paul Revere and the Raiders record after thrashed Beatles record ... and then the St. Vincent's Latinaires popped up ... kid glanced at it for 2 seconds and then kept going (he had been pulling out anything he was interested in) obviously not interested. Now, 99% of you would have kept quiet and looked to score the record outside the shop, but I was feeling generous, and, while I'm not known by name or overly friendly with this store, I have found some great deals there over the years, so I nudged the kid discreetly and said "hey ... that last one? you should buy it for the store. trust me." He looked skeptical but he pulled it out and put it in his pile. I went back to digging through the bins and didn't pay much attention, until I saw the guy putting the box of records on his shoulder and heading for the door, not stopping at the counter for any cash, saying "no, no it's OK, I understand ... " and the kid from the store was all "yeah, sorry man, just nothing we can use ... " as soon as the guy as out the door, I all but yelled at the kid "You didn't buy that Latinaires?!?!!?" he was like "nah, I looked it up online and didn't see anything and it had some marks ... " but by this time I was sprinting out the door. I stopped the guy halfway up the block, told him "hey I wanted one of those records, I'll give you 5 bucks for that St. Vincent's Latinaires" he said, "Five bucks? You've got a deal" and handed it to me, explaining that his Brother-in-Law had lived in Trinidad in the early 70's and that the record came from him. He seemed happy to get some money for his troubles, and I was obviously ecstatic, off to text axefoley and make sure I was not dreaming!

• ^^ cool come up story especially because you didn't disrespect the shop, if anything you went out of your way for them.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    awesome story Mark. The kid obviously can't use collectors frenzy.....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    This softened the blow of being stranded in Nevada for 3 days.

nice one
    looks like it's blown up a bit since I sold the one I found to Mr. Weiss

• finelikewine said:
    sellout1 said:
    spent my holidays travelling around southern bavaria and came up with a bunch of really nice finds. especially the thrift stores around wuerzburg are definetely worth to check out. the "bedazzled" and "because i am" were some cheap ebay finds for sure. happy new year!

Hey Sebo! These are amazing finds! I`ve never been lucky enough to find such a big amount of great records at thrift stores around these parts. Have you really been travelling around Bavaria just to look for records?
    I`ve never heard of somebody who did this before. And I never thought it would be worth it.
    I`m a bit confused by your desription. Have you been in the north of Bavaria (W??rzburg) or in the south or both?

Happy new year y`all!

hey finelikewine ; ) , might be a bit confusing i must confess, but as i??m actually located in nuremberg and like you might know there??s many of spots to find good records, i??m not talking ??bout the thrifts, i??m talking about all those vintage record and book stores around that area and when i talk about southern bavaria, i??m mean munich and the surroundings, sorry, i??m from the rhine area which means that every place behind cologne is the south. ; ) anyways, there??s some good thrifts around wuerzburg and nuremberg, but honestly you have to dig through piles of garbage to come up with a nice find. the majoirity of my finds came from a collection from a guy who was a music promoter in the 70??s, he sold his collection (8000 rec.) to a friend of mine who runs a recordstore in nuremberg. i was in store when he opened the first boxes so i was the lucky one who dug through them first. anyways, maybe you should come and visit flo and me in the future, there are still man spots to check, cheers seb??

• finelikewine said:
    sellout1 said:
    spent my holidays travelling around southern bavaria and came up with a bunch of really nice finds. especially the thrift stores around wuerzburg are definetely worth to check out. the "bedazzled" and "because i am" were some cheap ebay finds for sure. happy new year!

Hey Sebo! These are amazing finds! I`ve never been lucky enough to find such a big amount of great records at thrift stores around these parts. Have you really been travelling around Bavaria just to look for records?
    I`ve never heard of somebody who did this before. And I never thought it would be worth it.
    I`m a bit confused by your desription. Have you been in the north of Bavaria (W??rzburg) or in the south or both?

Happy new year y`all!

double post, too.....sorry

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    sellout1 said:
    finelikewine said:
    sellout1 said:

Happy new year y`all!

hey finelikewine ; ) , might be a bit confusing i must confess, but as i??m actually located in nuremberg and like you might know there??s many of spots to find good records, i??m not talking ??bout the thrifts, i??m talking about all those vintage record and book stores around that area and when i talk about southern bavaria, i??m mean munich and the surroundings, sorry, i??m from the rhine area which means that every place behind cologne is the south. ; ) anyways, there??s some good thrifts around wuerzburg and nuremberg, but honestly you have to dig through piles of garbage to come up with a nice find. the majoirity of my finds came from a collection from a guy who was a music promoter in the 70??s, he sold his collection (8000 rec.) to a friend of mine who runs a recordstore in nuremberg. i was in store when he opened the first boxes so i was the lucky one who dug through them first. anyways, maybe you should come and visit flo and me in the future, there are still man spots to check, cheers seb??

Lucky bastard! I`ll definitely visit Flo soon. Maybe already this week, because he still is on christmas vacation. I would love to check out some shops in n??rnberg.

• finelikewine said:
    sellout1 said:
    finelikewine said:
    sellout1 said:

Happy new year y`all!

Lucky bastard! I`ll definitely visit Flo soon. Maybe already this week, because he still is on christmas vacation. I would love to check out some shops in n??rnberg.

cool, let me know when you??re in town....have a nice day, cheers seb??

• you guys are in bavaria often?
    theres gonna be a 45s only dj battle at one of the next funk you parties in regensburg i think im gonna be there
    maybe yo wanna participate too? its gonn abe fun

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    dopeshit said:
    you guys are in bavaria often?
    theres gonna be a 45s only dj battle at one of the next funk you parties in regensburg i think im gonna be there
    maybe yo wanna participate too? its gonn abe fun

This is straight up my alley. I`m a native Oberpf??lzer :beerbang: but I never heard about that funk you parties, but nowadays I`m not that often in Regensburg though.
    Who is organizing it and where and when is it happening?

• i will let you know as soon as i know the date & the location i think its gonna be in the next 2 months...
    one of the guys is called dr.gee wago, he was at the 45s battle we had in vienna....
    i'll send you a message as soon as i know more, you wanna play a set too?

dopeshit said:
    i will let you know as soon as i know the date & the location i think its gonna be in the next 2 months...
    one of the guys is called dr.gee wago, he was at the 45s battle we had in vienna....
    i'll send you a message as soon as i know more, you wanna play a set too?

Thanks! I`ve never heard of him. I think playing there would be fun, but I don`t know what a 45 battle really is. Playing sets just with 45s or is there a competion thing involved?
    Finally I could play out with my new unused s.erato 45 control vinyl. :cool:

Just kidding, right next to me is a nice pile of funk 45s waiting to be played out.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    No pictures, sorry.

Divine Rite S/T (1984): Private label promo LP (which I believe they gave out at shows in advance of their debut LP) of glam rock band from Norwalk, CA. The picture of these dudes on the back is hilarious. I think I'll Ebay it since it's a $40-$50 record.

The Heptones "Night Food": "I've Got The Handle" is my new favorite misogynist domestic violence reggae song!

Kracker S/T (Primo, 78): Hard rock with monster drums, especially the 9 minute "Precious Time". Band's from Spokane, WA.

Inez Andrews "This Is Not The First Time I've Been Last" (ABC Songbird, 75): Fantastic secular title track. Keys by Tennyson Stevens.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i was in montreal from christmas eve to the day after new year's... got the following:

45's:

warren smith- pic sleeve reissue EP on Charley Records from the mid 70's... "I GOT A GAL, SHE'S SHAPED JUST LIKE A FROG!"

giorgio (moroder)- the future is past/blue jean girl... from his groovy bubbleglam phase... not very good...

gloria spencer- i got it... bought it b/c it seemed like cool gospel for real cheap... google tells me it's an old Loft/Gallery favorite...

jungle jim- masai (do the masai children)- another cheapie...

the slickers- oh my baby ...decent rocksteady... supposed to have a winston wright organ b-side, but it sounds basically the same as the a-side...

jah youth- world is a stage... nice DJ tune from 1975... jah youth is not big youth...

joe tex and U.Black- rub a dub evening (w/ nice Errol Thompson dub version on the b...)

culture- i'm not ashamed... never heard the dub on this before... THEY USE THE SOUND OF CARS HONKING!

bobby marchan- bump your booty (buddy killen gives B.Marchan the Joe Tex funky nashville treatment...) tho i bought it for the b-side ballad "Ain't Nothin' Wrong With Whitey"...

the kongas- jungle... did not know this was on 45... this sort of stuff has been killing for me lately... in a similar vein:

gun morgan- hot jungle ...a african guy recording in paris making protodisco...

crystal grass- lemme see ya gitchyer thing off baby (hustle) ...the first part of the title is written all in caps, and the word hustle is lower case, so i don't know if it's part of the title or one of those things they do on european records like calling a song "un slow" or "un twist"...

ann c. sheridan- sing it low... canadian press of french funky disco track...

lunar funk- mr penguin/slip the drummer one... flashback records pressing... did not have the b-side, so cheap pick up...

LP's

pierre henry- the LP w/ Psyche Rock on it... two copies, both doubles...

the hou lops- off... quebecois garage band records an english language LP... nice cover of James Brown's Good Good Lovin' that isn't a cover of the Outsiders version...

nanette workman- s/t (cover w/ the band all in Wilensky's deli....)... quite funky record circ 76... one song is sorta a Soul Makossa rip... she used to sing back up for the stones and dated johnny hallyday...

the mighty maytones- album showcase... nice roots vocal/dub set from late 70's

april wine- electric jewels... don't sleep... their 3rd LP from 73 and prime rock of that era...

james brown- the popcorn LP... w/ Soul Pride amongst other instro jams...

baby cortez- the isley brothers way ...

kiowarimi- le dernier souffle de ma nation ...First Nation folk stuff w/ one sorta proto disco sounding thing... really..

louise forestier- s/t.... the one where she's topless on the front... yr boys over at Waxidermy are hip to it already...

egyptian lover- and my beat goes boom...

les alexandrins- luc et lisa... nice quebecois soft psych...

hp riot- s/t .... funk band from moves to Canada and records great LP in the vein of Kool and the Gang circ 73/74... cover inexplicably states " As Advertised on Radio and Television"

black soul- brasil africa... mostly semi-bogus protodisco/funk outta france (you know the singles i'm sure), with a couple gems hidden...

isley brothers- timeless... great 2 LP comp w/ all their gems from 69-73... Keep on Doin', Get into Something, Work To Do, etc...

scorpions- taken by force... "sails of charon" is the jam...

daniel giraud- jeunesse a gogo ... very pop stuff from 1965... equal parts chanson, british invasion, and sorta bobby darin/fabian bizness...

willy cat- la chatte a la voisine- nice early disco (75-76) w/ double entendre lyrics about touching the cat... nice to know that sort of thing transcends language....

ruddy thomas and welton irie- shake your body to the ground... the OTHER Off the Wall MJ cover tune by Joe Gibbs...

marica aitken and i.roy - she don't love you/housewife choice... another nice 12" mix on Joe Gibbs...

v/a- testement du rock- comp of mostly rockabilly w/ Louie Prime and Johnny Otis lumped in...

v/a- greensleeves Mud Up Riddim comp...

v/a- pioneer records disco hits... reggae label out of TO... real real great cover of hesher classic "Feel Like Making Love" by Bad Company done inna reggae style... rest of it is quite good, too... i

v/a - disco dynamite- studio fake band covering "Do It Til Your Satisfied" "TSOP" "Shame, Shame, Shame" and other early disco tunes... w/ some incidental orginals that sound more like fake hippie rock than disco...

denis lepage- disco strict tempo...the man behind Lime (and noted arranger) (and noted transsexual) records a dance record for your dad, full of rumbas, swings, and cha chas... Oh, and watch out for that meringue... most of this is dull, but he slips in some outthere stuff and there are covers of some decent tunes... circ 74...

richard tate- tate a tete... great funky rock stuff from the drummer in M. Pagliaro's band... sweet Canadian tuxedo on the cover, too...

azteca s/t ...latin rock gem that finally gets crossed off the list...

IQ- barbell is in... wack prog rock from 82 that i listened to at the 33 instead of 45, so i thioiught it was some freaky electro thing...

jimmy james and the vagabounds- you don't stand a chance if you can't dance- nice hustle/bus stop style business out of the UK...

histoire d' O- smut film OST... one or two decent moments, including a hilariously terrible rock song...

get some crew- hair and nails ...booty stuff on TVT records right before the dawn of crunk...

lil flip -game over remix/ 4 DJ Screw...

le snake- steppin out- edit record circ 82... lots of sequencers on this bad boy, lemme tell ya...

Montreal Olympics OST- one or two interesting tunes... mostly whatever modern classical and sub-NFL films level library music....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    good job on getting the better 'obscure commons' in montreal
    (good sought after records that are more present in mtl)
    your only missing disco gold
    i think i once bought 4 pierre henrys from the same store
    were did ya dig?
    also any memorable food spots?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    pcmr said:
    good job on getting the better 'obscure commons' in montreal
    (good sought after records that are more present in mtl)
    your only missing disco gold
    i think i once bought 4 pierre henrys from the same store
    were did ya dig?
    also any memorable food spots?

i was sorta on a mission for 73-76 disco stuff, so i snatched up what i could find... def did not see Disco Gold (the tom moulton mix thing?)... the only other cheapie record i always snatch up if i see it for 4 bucks or less is Lindbergh by Charlebois,,, have a stack of those at home...

this trip wasn't built around digging, so i just hit up all the spots around the plateau,,,

eating, i was just happy to buy steak tips (aka BAVETTE STEAK) in the supermarket for real cheap (boston comfort food not available in NYC unless you go to Whole Foods or a butcher shop)...

besides that um, Schwartz's, The Main, Romados, Coco Rico, various schwarma/lamajun spots, Le Club Sandwhich, etc...

tried to go to L'Express on New Years Day, but it was packed... hour plus wait for the bar... wanted to try Brasserie T, but they were closed for the entire week i was there...