Rap aint dead...

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    idiotproof said:
    embrace universal hip-hop

I'd def embrace Ms Maiko but looks like someone got there already

• i dont know where all the bambaata talk started
    hiphop is definitely a universally accessible thing...it takes stripped down parts of songs, basic catchy 4/4 beats and puts lyrics on top that dont necessitate having an amazing singing voice. very catchy and easy for a lot of people to do in some way shape or form.
    i dont think anyone here is begging white people or non americans or "those who havent struggled" to stay out of hiphop. i think whats being commented on is the vast majority of the widely accepted, acclaimed and innovative work has been from specific areas/demographics. outside of there, hasnt caught on as much or had as much impact.

what got posted up, under the banner of "savior of hiphop since real hiphop is dead" didnt seem very new or groundbreaking = not very interesting. on the local OZ level...its a whole different thing, just like when i listen to some philly shit that never made it, i may have different standards to judge it by.

unless yall are trying to make a lot of money with it on the international stage, yall shouldnt even give a fuck what americans think. we shouldnt even be able to get it. but most of what got shown didnt seem that intriguing or hard to figure out. thats my take on it, not a diss. i fully support everybody expressing themselves and making music

• thought crossed my mind...
    the last year and a half ive been playing acoustic guitar and really enjoying myself with that. learning some songs and shit (bigups crabmongerfunk). been able to break the guitar out once in a while around people and sing some shit with friends. does that make me a guitar player? ehhh...i wouldnt go that far. but then again, im having fun playing guitar. so should my tinkering be accepted by more accomplished musicians? i think the answer is: im having fun so who gives a fuck

• and my last thought before i goto sleep

this is an interesting thread and gets into a lot of sociological/cultural nuance that i hadnt really stopped to think about before
    im surprised professor Odubalone hasnt been expounding more.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This seems like as good as thread as any and, instead of starting another one,

WHAT ARE THE BEST AUSTRALIAN RECORDS OF ALL TIME? OF ALL TIME?

Figure that only one band can represent a spot in the Top 10. What am I missing?

1.) AC/DC, Back in Black (1980)
    2.) INXS, Kick (1987)
    3.) Silverchair, Frogstomp (1996)
    4.)
    5.) Savage Garden?
    6.)
    7.)
    8.)
    9.)
    10.)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Dude, Kick...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    What am I missing?

the ability to realise when a skeleton of a horse has been flogged enough?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DOR said:
    Dude, Kick...

My bad

• white_tea said:
    This seems like as good as thread as any and, instead of starting another one,

WHAT ARE THE BEST AUSTRALIAN RECORDS OF ALL TIME? OF ALL TIME?

Figure that only one band can represent a spot in the Top 10. What am I missing?

1.) AC/DC, Back in Black (1980)
    2.) Silverchair, Frogstomp (1996)
    3.) Celibate Rifles-Blind Ear (1989)
    4.) TISM-Australia The Lucky Cunt (1993)
    5.) Savage Garden? ha ha, jokes...
    6.) Hoodoo-Gurus-Blow Your Cool (1987)
    7.) Hunters & Collectors- The Way to Go Out (1985)
    8.)
    9.)
    10.)

• Aussie lite rock gold:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    idiotproof said:

Anyone on here watch foreign films with subtitles? Sheesh!!!
    Oh sorry, cinema was invented by Americans, obviously on-one can make films as good as the USA can.

actually, no, it wasn't.

b/w

IZM707 still poasts here??

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    and any top ten Aussie albums without some Saints, Easybeats, Rose Tattoo or Masters Apprentices is INVALID.

• per0per0 152 Posts
    Apologies for all who have been offended and are getting distraught about this. I will have a long serious think about the title of my next post.

In my opinion, this blew me away. Been a long minute since I've had any rapper on repeat. Obviously I am not educated and/or knowledgeable for this opinion to be just that.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Australia exports some excellent music, none of it is hip-hop though.

• Good luck telling these dudes, that they re not supposed to Rap:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    this is an interesting thread and gets into a lot of sociological/cultural nuance that i hadnt really stopped to think about before
    im surprised professor Odubalone hasnt been expounding more.

Honestly, there's so much trolling + ass-hurtedness in this thread, that I don't really see the point in making note of "nuance" when people are trying to slug it out by, of all things, invoking Bambaataa. Are the American-centric folks in here being small-minded? Yeah, but they're not wrong about the idea that American hip-hop influences the rest of the world far more than the other way around. Fair or foul, that's just how it is. And while I would never deny that hip-hop is important to people in their respective localities - that's part of what makes hip-hop so powerful and amazing as a cultural force - there's a difference between respecting hip-hop's global reach and power and actually LIKING the music that comes out of it.

In any case, the most important lesson: don't ever entitle a thread "Rap ain't dead" (and then compound that with a weak ass song, regardless of national origin).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I think that rap may actually be dead.

• hiphop died before rap ever did...imho

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    hiphop died before rap ever did...imho

the deepness continues.
    so.fukkin.deep.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Pony said:
    Australia exports some excellent music, none of it is hip-hop though.

Wow there are some real stupid ass statements being played out in this thread.

• This thread needs more BANGS

• jaymack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

the deepness continues.
    so.fukkin.deep.

yo dude, just stating the obvious that there are far fewer "4 element" type crews out there doing their thing, its not meant to be a "deep" comment, but if you see it as such, that cool

• Walter_Nagl said:

i kept expecting the Techno Viking to show up in that video

• tripledouble said:
    - there's a difference between respecting hip-hop's global reach and power and actually LIKING the music that comes out of it.

i knew youd say something quotable!!

regqardless, different locales have always dissed each other when it comes to their hiphop output and credentials, so this whole shit is par for the course. people might as well stop getting so offended about it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    jaymack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

the deepness continues.
    so.fukkin.deep.

yo dude, just stating the obvious that there are far fewer "4 element" type crews out there doing their thing, its not meant to be a "deep" comment, but if you see it as such, that cool

When were there ever that many "4 element type crews"? You think Run DMC was out there tagging and breaking?

• mannybolone said:

When were there ever that many "4 element type crews"? You think Run DMC was out there tagging and breaking?

Arsonists, yo!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    jaymack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

the deepness continues.
    so.fukkin.deep.

This is true. And Hollis is so "un Hip Hop". There were dudes writing who would rather head over to CBGBs than go bboying. And BBoys who would not have gone to rap venues because they were too gay. Hip Hop has been made into something that it is not. It's time for people to stop believing in the Hip Hop Santa Claus and that all the worlds problems will be solved if we just come together and express ourselves in a rap hands stylee. Some 3rd rate Edan tribute rapz were posted (an homage to an homage?) It was roundly dissed, and then some sort of perverted race card was pulled when Oz rappers weren't treated with one love. That is unhelpful to say the least. Just because you can write a sonnet does not make you Shakespeare.

Of course Bam embraces global Hip Hop culture. It means he can travel the world doing what he loves. Otherwise he'd have to get a real job.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

Explain

• mannybolone said:

all i am saying is that there a far less crews out there representing and recogizing the elements of hiphop, flash wasnt out there tagging and neither was kool herc, that doesnt mean that they dont recognize the elements of the subculture, just as RunDMC does, maybe my comment should have been worded differently "there are far less crews recognizing the elements of hiphop"

• dj_cityboy said:

Rap is Hip-Hop yo, check yer backpack.

BTW that element shit has to go.