who will peep the Tron sequel?

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Perhaps you should be answering my legal questions, and then get back to this, good sir.

• haha sorry man check your PMs in a minute.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    It won't come close to the original (crosses fingers), another analog > digital format will prevail, btw I shopped for the TRON soundtrack, I wasnt impressed with the results, but RAJ will like the main lyrical song being sung by JOURNEY>

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Shit is going to suck so badly. I mean, as much as the original holds a nostalgic place in my heart, it was hardly the greatest film in the first place.

Funnily enough I went to sleep to the director's commentary on Tron last night (I find the musings of over the hill filmmakers about films they made aeons ago to be one of the best sleep aides there is) and they were going into minute detail about the animation work required for every detail in the film - they even had to paint in the white on the actor's teeth frame by frame.

Some quickly knocked together sequel featuring a plot about too cool for school hacker types coupled with some off the shelf CGI isn't really going to set the world ablaze. I'm picturing it looking something like speed racer.

Also, the new lead has really really stupid hair.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    not if you f*cking paid me.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Seriously?

I'm watching.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I'm picturing it looking something like speed racer.

Exactly how I think it will look too. It's gonna be bullshit - but at least we might see a blu-ray release of the original to hype the new movie.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Seriously?

I'm watching.

It's like "Notorious" or "Transformers." I won't have high expectations - the inverse in fact - but F*ck it, they got my $.

(That said, I highly doubt I'd pay to see "Transformers 2.")

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Seriously - there's no way it can even be close to the original.

But I must admit, seeing Flynn and the light cycles got me hoping.

I haven't been this excited about a movie since Star Wars Episode 1 (and we all know how that one turned out).

• i'm in. how could you not be?
    peace, stein. . .

Don't bother overpaying for the 3-D; not really worth it.

And let's just say the sequel has many of the strengths and flaws of the original, especially in terms of the art direction (strength) and the screenwriting (massive fail). I don't regret going but I was disappointed that they couldn't have made a better movie given all the superior films *influenced* by Tron that have come out over the last 26 years.

I'll say this much too: I really appreciate how great a job J.J. Abrams did with the "Star Trek" reboot. He gave fanboys what they wanted but also made a half-decent film along the way. In contrast, "Tron: Legacy" is equally self-conscious about the original but the story itself was a wreck.

• mannybolone said:
    Don't bother overpaying for the 3-D; not really worth it.

And let's just say the sequel has many of the strengths and flaws of the original, especially in terms of the art direction (strength) and the screenwriting (massive fail). I don't regret going but I was disappointed that they couldn't have made a better movie given all the superior films *influenced* by Tron that have come out over the last 26 years.

I'll say this much too: I really appreciate how great a job J.J. Abrams did with the "Star Trek" reboot. He gave fanboys what they wanted but also made a half-decent film along the way. In contrast, "Tron: Legacy" is equally self-conscious about the original but the story itself was a wreck.

you Star Trek description perfectly encapsulates my feelings on the Terminator joint with Christian Bale. Hate all you want, but it tied the whole series together amazingly, gave plenty of nods to the first two joints for the fanboys (complete with a resurrected Ahnold in CGI), and, most importantly, was a pretty damn good stand-alone sci-fi movie.

sorry for the derail.

• apparently daft punk did an ALL NIGHT set for the cast and crew after a day of shooting...... WHILE EVERYONE WAS STILL IN COSTUME.

what i would have given to see that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im so in

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

i desire....Macaroni necklaces!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• My homie, who says he has seen the original Tron movie literally hundreds of times, caught an advance screening of the new flick and told me it is the worse piece of dung ever shitted out of Hollywood's ass. Beware.

Phill With 2 Ls said:
    My homie, who says he has seen the original Tron movie literally hundreds of times, caught an advance screening of the new flick and told me it is the worse piece of dung ever shitted out of Hollywood's ass. Beware.

Overkill. It was predictably mediocre but hardly as bad as that. Still less shitty than Star Wars 1-3. Maybe.

mannybolone said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    My homie, who says he has seen the original Tron movie literally hundreds of times, caught an advance screening of the new flick and told me it is the worse piece of dung ever shitted out of Hollywood's ass. Beware.

Overkill. It was predictably mediocre but hardly as bad as that. Still less shitty than Star Wars 1-3. Maybe.

Is there a scene that even compares to Yoda vs. Christopher Lee?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    visually it was good. Story, not so much. Daft Punk djing in the one scene was cool.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm totally seeing Tron in like 1 hour! Daft Punk b/w flourescent stuff = my girl will drag me to this kicking and screaming.... but I'm pretty keen to see it anyway.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

I believe it. Nurrrrrrrds. Hi, PhiLL!

• PrimeCutsLtd said:
    visually it was good. Story, not so much. Daft Punk djing in the one scene was cool.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Took my kid to see the movie today. The beginning with the son breaking into the company, wack. Then when he goes into the grid, amazing graphics, cool story, which then falls apart when they try to get out. I'd say 50% of a good movie.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I wonder what the video game will be like.... Any US heads played it yet ( I believe its been released over there already)

• LokoOne said:
    I wonder what the video game will be like.... Any US heads played it yet ( I believe its been released over there already)

Haven't played it but the reviews have been as mixed as the movie. Cool multiplayer, cool storyline (it serves as the connection between the two movies), cool visuals, but overall gameplay is weak. My buddy has it and loves it, but he's an unabashed TRON fan and loved the new movie hands down as well.

I can't help but think to myself "I liked the TRON sequel back when it was called The Matrix"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I can't believe you dudes are acting like the original is some good movie or something

Ah, SoulStrut

faux_rillz said:
    I can't believe you dudes are acting like the original is some good movie or something

Ah, SoulStrut

Its a regular-ass storyline, but the visuals changed the game. That in itself was the hook.

If you were a kid during the Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica/Buck Rogers/War Games/Krull era, TRON was the shit.

Its cult sci-fi. Deal.

I'm not even sure it was the visuals that were the draw. To me, Tron's cult-status had much to do with how it was trying to capture the culture of video games and arcades at the time. Tron was either "visionary" or "exploitative" in regards to how it wanted to jump on that particular zeitgeist but I think one reason why the light cycle became so iconic is because the movie really tried to "put you in the game".

In that regard, it's no different than any number of fringe genre films where the actual films weren't very good but they've attained cult-like status for fitting into a particular moment in time and culture (think blaxploitation, for example).

It was also a supremely geeky (I mean this in a good way) film in terms of trying to figure out how a computer programmer's virtual world would look and behave. This was largely abandoned in the sequel (and wasn't replaced with anything more logical or cogent).