hieroglyphics signed O.C.

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Jewelz was ehh, and when it came out it was almost tossed. But actually revisiting it there are tracks that did hold up, Dangerous being one o those. I always thought that OC was ill its just he has the Nas problem alot of times and either can't afford or just can't pick good beats (outside of Word... Life).

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    For the record, the new OC album was done before the deal with Heiro so its him and his boy who did the beats for the whole record.

I like some of the songs on Jewelz. All the girl songs were pretty much incredible though, like that one joint "Stronjay":

Anyhow, the star and me hit a sushi bar
    Told her that I never had sushi before
    Ordered saki that I already endeavored in Japan
    Reached 'cross the table then I grabbed her hand
    Why your man let you walk around solo like this?
    My chinky eyes looked upon her as I gave her hand a kiss

Lol

I can't be mad at hommie because he got turned out by a Japanese brizzle but that is some Ralph T ass ho shit. One of my boys at the time actually used to like that song and "we can't go wrong". He must have been in love or something at the time.

OC is still dope to me and everybody has made songs they would like to forget. Somebody should make the wack songs but dope artists post.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    To be honest, I always thought Word...Life had its shair of lyrically suspect moments, too. That's why neither one of OC's first two albums never really got too much play in my headphones.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    To be honest, I always thought Word...Life had its shair of lyrically suspect moments, too. That's why neither one of OC's first two albums never really got too much play in my headphones, except for that "Stronjay" joint on the second one. Lemme lace y'all with some lyrical gems:

Five foot six, body thick, hair silky
    She could make the hardest man melt and turn milky
    Bugged out shit, one eye was hazel, one was blue
    Lips fully packed as my attention stayed glued
    Upon her outline, I cased it with my mind
    Saying to myself, 'this sugar be a dime'

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i think Jewelz is a classic, or near-classic. and i liked Bon Appetit. it wasnt great, but had some bangers. that track with Jay was

i think Jewelz is a classic, or near-classic. Yo, peep this jewel (get it?) off of that "Stronjay" joint:

The scene is set, but baby not just yet

Cuz strawberries and whipped cream ain't complete without Moet

Nuff time we spent gettin' excited, I'm delighted

Ecstasy, I know honey-hun she won't fight it

She stands up, and lead me by my hand, we fled

Into a room with a king size canopy bed

...and i liked Bon Appetit. it wasnt great, but had some bangers. that track with Jay was

• my crew totally couldnt hackey sack to jewelz, bro. word...life on the other hand was hippy friendly. even the dude that juggles got funky to it.

my crew totally couldnt hackey sack to jewelz, bro. word...life on the other hand was hippy friendly. even the dude that juggles got funky to it.

I thought we were talking about hackey sacking/wearing denim skirts/glow stick-related activities in connection with Deltron 3030, an album which I have never heard, but which I imagine would be highly condusive to all three. No?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

It's so necessary.

This most mesmerizing young thing I must say
    Echoes in my thoughts since I met you that day

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• my crew totally couldnt hackey sack to jewelz, bro. word...life on the other hand was hippy friendly. even the dude that juggles got funky to it.

I thought we were talking about hackey sacking/wearing denim skirts/glow stick-related activities in connection with Deltron 3030, an album which I have never heard, but which I imagine would be highly condusive to all three. No?

my bad, dogg. carry on.

oh, and i dont know how the do it back east, but around these parts we wear batik print skirts. not denim skirts.

• Honestly chaps the new OC album ???Starchild??? is absolutely superb.
    I almost never even checked for it after hearing the awfully wack ???Bon appetite???
    It has got that mid 90???s flavour that some might find boring these day but for a bit of mid 90???s throwback with a modern twist its essential.

I think ???Jewelz??? is undoubtedly one of my favourite records ever.
    Both the beats and rhymes are superb, I mean damn OC over that JJ Band sample that???s heat.

• Major cosign.

I just dont understand why Starchild has been bashed to death.....especially considering all the other shit out there getting praise right now.

Great album....great MC.

• I literally been "LOL-ing" for the past 5 minutes. AWESOME

1). I guess this happend a few months ago. My homegirl is going to handle the press for the album. I'm kinda skeptical since the production is handled by him and his homeboy.

2). What's with the releases of Star Child? There's a US and a Japaneese one thats dope?

3). I played this O.C. single for a good 2-3 years.

DJ JS-1 featuring O.C. "Beyond the Walls"

wack-ass cover though.

I literally been "LOL-ing" for the past 5 minutes. AWESOME

1). I guess this happend a few months ago. My homegirl is going to handle the press for the album. I'm kinda skeptical since the production is handled by him and his homeboy.

2). What's with the releases of Star Child? There's a US and a Japaneese one thats dope?

3). I played this O.C. joint "Stronjay" a good 2-3 years. Peep this verse about shopping:

Shopping in the city one day
    On my way, met a redbone by the name of Stronjay
    Five foot six, body thick, hair silky
    She could make the hardest man melt and turn milky
    Lips fully packed as my attention stayed glued

• parenparen 537 Posts

I just dont understand why Starchild has been bashed...
    good[/b] album.... great MC.

• Bugged out shit, one eye was hazel, one was blue

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    holy shit! lol. five stars for this whole thread.

Okay, I listened to Jewelz this morning for the first time in at least five years, and this schitt is really not what's good.

Bland production and the lyrics are straight embarassing. I had to turn it down a little bit to make sure my neighbors couldn't overhear it.

On the first track he announces "In a minute, I'm a have six Gs times ten!"

Huh?

What kind of a boast is that for a rapper to make?

Not even "I've got $60,000" but "I don't currently--but may eventually--have $60,000"

The sad thing is I don't think this was meant to be an attempt at real talk about personal finances--I think he probably meant "six figures times ten"...

• Maybe he is declaring that, while currently he has $6,000, through shewd investments and careful planning he will soon grow that to $60,000. While not a huge some of money in and of itself, perhaps he is flossing his investing acumen, not his net worth.

• Funny thread, shitty album (Jewelz). I liked Word...Life quite a bit and it still holds up. Bam should post his "Time's Up" remix or something.

But for the record, y'all do know that "Stronjay" is undoubtedly a "Boomerang" reference, no?

Funny thread, shitty album (Jewelz). I liked Word...Life quite a bit and it still holds up. Bam should post his "Time's Up" remix or something.

But for the record, y'all do know that "Stronjay" is undoubtedly a "Boomerang" reference, no?

No, I've never seen Boomerang--explain.

• Funny thread, shitty album (Jewelz). I liked Word...Life quite a bit and it still holds up. Bam should post his "Time's Up" remix or something.

i'm genuinely suprised.

Funny thread, shitty album (Jewelz). I liked Word...Life quite a bit and it still holds up. Bam should post his "Time's Up" remix or something.

i'm genuinely suprised.

I didn't have a TV at all for much of my childhood and never had cable--I'm not really up on movies.

i'm genuinely suprised.

I didn't have a TV at all for much of my childhood and never had cable--I'm not really up on movies.

that sounds like something an NY boho would say at a "round the way juice bar while looking for his queen".

i'm genuinely suprised.

that sounds like something an NY boho would say at a "round the way juice bar while looking for his queen".

Hey, the entertainment in my household consisted of reading Frances Cress Welsing and Na'im Akbar by the light of scented candles. Hate me now.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

The character in Boomerang's name was Strange (with an accent over the 'e', pronounced "Stronjay").

• But for the record, y'all do know that "Stronjay" is undoubtedly a "Boomerang" reference, no?

The character in Boomerang's name was Strange (with an accent over the 'e', pronounced "Stronjay").

Was that the same dude who said "STEEL VAGINA"?