SOUP Strut

cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
It is cold out. I dont have the energy to cook extensive dishes. Chopping and stirring is easy. We have a chili, chicken noodle, and potato soup recipe from within the family, and a regular tortilla soup in our repertoire (I can offer these recipes upon request).

Anyone have any delicious soup recipes to offer? I have never really branched out on a soup level, and am ready and willing.

PS. I despise tomato soup, sorry.

PSS. Stews are also welcome.

Comments

• Agent45 said:

Thanks! It was two years ago and a 1 pager, I figured a new one wouldn't hurt.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You might not like tomato based soup, but others do...

Harvey Canal Fish Stew

Ingredients:

1 pound of shrimp with heads on
    1.5 pounds of white fish (sole, etc)
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
    half a bunch of green onions (chopped)
    6 Roma tomatoes (chopped)
    1 small can of tomato paste
    1 cup of white wine
    1 orange
    parsley
    salt
    pepper
    Cajun seasoning

Instructions:

Remove shrimp heads and boil in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes to make a stock.
    Pour olive oil in a separate large pot and over medium heat, fry garlic and onions.
    Add chopped tomatoes and spices and tomato paste and wine and strained shrimp stock and stir.
    Bring to a boil, then add fish (cut into portions) and peeled shrimp, both cleaned with juice from half an orange. Also, add juice from the remaining half of the orange to the stew, then allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
    Serve.

• Harvey, that sounds really delicious. I am not against tomato BASED soup, but just can't dig on plain tomoato soup. Thanks!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Every Thanksgiving wifey makes a Lima Bean Soup with the leftover ham bone and a really good Turkey Noodle Soup with, of course, the leftover meat & carcass. I'll pick her brain later for the recipes. They are both pretty simple & delicious but the Lima Bean jawn is Ri-Dic-U-Lous!!

• Breez said:
    Every Thanksgiving wifey makes a Lima Bean Soup with the leftover ham bone and a really good Turkey Noodle Soup with, of course, the leftover meat & carcass. I'll pick her brain later for the recipes. They are both pretty simple & delicious but the Lima Bean jawn is Ri-Dic-U-Lous!!

ha that sounds like one of those things that would have kids trying to run away from home, but all the adults are licking their lips and getting seconds. i cant believe that as a kid i wouldnt mess with split pea or lentil soup....[hobotalk]nothing better than good bean soup[/hobotalk]

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

ha that sounds like one of those things that would have kids trying to run away from home, but all the adults are licking their lips and getting seconds. i cant believe that as a kid i wouldnt mess with split pea or lentil soup....[hobotalk]nothing better than good bean soup[/hobotalk]

Haha, I know as a kid I would have been running for the hills.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Breez said:
    the Lima Bean jawn is Ri-Dic-U-Lous!!
    Yo, let me get that.

I have a roasted garlic/cauliflower jernt that's real good, but it gives you farts that smell like a box of new puppies, so I don't know if heads are ready.

• ^^ ha ha ha

a good healthy miraqua (celery, carrot, onion) is needed first with some great olive oil and butter and garlic in a pot that you will make your soup in and from there any other vegof your choice can be thrown in, chicken stock or veg stock (your choice), some people get down with some pasta in their soups, which i dont mind either, chicken is always a nice add if your not one of those vegetarian types, some fresh herbs (basil, oregano and marjoram) Salt & Pepa too taste...quick easy soup that i bust out on cold ass maritime days..

sadly i am not one for following recipes, after 10 yrs working in a kitchen, i prefer to fly by the seat of my pants...lol, GO!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I've got some great carrot, asparagus, chorizo, and squash/apple recipes back at the spot. I'll pull them out if I remember when I get home. Looking to make a turkey stew in a couple of weeks once I'm ready to eat turkey again.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    buttenut squash roasted garlic
    or carrot,ginger is my go to soup

but i have a quebec stew recipe that i am upgrading with the turkey stock i made from my practice turkey
    mirepoix+garlic and pigs feets (or pork osso bucco if you are scared of those)
    in a dutch oven overnight at like 200
    once everything is rendered out add more stock and dropp in some stuffing meat balls that have been covered in roasted flour
    simmer and voila
    Ragout de pattes!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Harvey Canal Soup? Whoa.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i followed harvey's recipe and it was scrumptious

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I bet it was! The title was just funny to me. ;)

I love that you guys share recipes here! (and actually try 'em!)

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

a good healthy miraqua (celery, carrot, onion) is needed first ...

it's not mirepoix?

• I make a pretty vicious (vegetarian) french onion soup. My brother and I have tweaked it for a few years and it has become a thanksgiving tradition.

several pounds of yellow onion, sliced into very thin half-rings (enough to fill a soup pot pretty much to the top)
    several shallots, sliced thin
    several cloves of garlic, sliced thin (not crushed)
    2 quarts each of vegetable broth and mushroom broth (pacific makes mushroom broth)
    Fresh thyme
    1 bottle of dry sherry (you wont use the whole thing)
    butter
    olive oil

baguette (sliced)
    Gruyere and / or swiss cheese (shredded)

very thinly slice yellow onions into half-rings (cut the ends off the onion, cut in half so you have half rings). You need A LOT. They should basically fill up the pot almost entirely when you put them in.

Melt a half-stick of butter and a bit of olive oil (not much) in a soup pot. Throw the onions in with some salt and pepper. Keep mixing them up every couple of minutes until they get going. They will start to cook down pretty quickly. It will take a while, but keep cooking them over medium / medium high heat. Stir every couple of minutes. This part takes A WHILE and you have to be patient. After about 30 or 40 minutes they will first start to color slightly brown. Add the shallots and the garlic. Keep cooking. Scrape off the little bits of caramelization of the bottom of the pan. Once this starts happening you need to be pretty attentive, scraping the pan every couple of minutes. You want the onions to turn a deep rich caramel color. You don't want them to burn, but want them to turn a rich brown. This will take about an hour. Keep scraping the pan. When you think they are the right color, take the dry sherry and pour about 1/3 of the bottle in the pot. De-glaze the pan and be sure to scrape every last bit off the bottom. That stuff is where a lot of the flavor is. Add a bit more sherry, some thyme (a good amount), and 1 quart each vegetable broth and mushroom broth. Get it simmering. Check the seasoning -- you may need some pepper, some more thyme, sherry...You may want to add more broth depending on how much you are making.

Meanwhile, toast some the slices of baguette and rub each toasted slice with a raw garlic clove. After you gently simmer the soup for about 45-60 minutes, check the seasoning and ladle into oven-safe bowls, top with a couple pieces of the toast, and then cover with the cheese. Add a small splash of sherry and put under the broiler until the cheese is bubbling and starts to brown on the edges. Let cool for a couple minutes before eating.

• For all you UK soup dudes, czech out these shits...

If you're in a hurry and want a nice soup, these are the BOMB!

Only these two mind.. the other ones taste like the back end of a sheep.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i was looking for a real deal french onion soupr recipe
    thanks

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Soups are great.
    You can play with the recipes, mix things up.

We are always roasting chickens or smoking turkey (Smoked a whole turkey a few weekends ago).
    So we always have a good chicken or turkey broth in the freezer. We also make fish broths when the opportunity arises which makes great fish stews.

My first and still a favorite soup is the Brazilian black bean soup from Mollie Katzen's first Moosewood cookbook. (I learned a lot about cooking from that book.)
    I've made this so many times. I use a lot of colorful sweet peppers when I make it, otherwise pretty close.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/BRAZILIAN-BLACK-BEAN-SOUP-1257458
    ingredients

* 2 cups black beans
    * 2 tablespoons oil (approximately)
    * 1 cup onions, chopped
    * 3 cloves garlic, crushed
    * 1 large carrot, chopped
    * 1 stalk celery, chopped
    * 1 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
    * 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    * 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned and seeded
    * 1/2 cup orange juice
    * 1 tablespoon dry sherry
    * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    Preparation
    Rinse the beans. Cover them with water, and let them soak several hours (at least 4) or overnight.

Pour off excess water from beans. Place beans in saucepan with 3 1/2 cups water or stock and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, simmer 1 1/2 hours over very low heat.

Saute onions and garlic in oil. Then add carrot, celery and green pepper. Add a little water to the vegetables to steam them along. Add the coriander and cumin.

When everything seems just as it should be, add saute to the beans. Let the soup continue to simmer over lowest possible heat.

Add oranges, orange juice, sherry, black pepper, red pepper and lemon juice to soup. Give it a stir, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning. If you wish to thin, add water; if you wish to thicken, puree some or all of the soup in a blender.

Serve topped with sour cream or yogurt.

Also from moosewood is this great chilled summer Cascadilla, creamy tomato soup.
    Quick and easy and a great break from gazpacho.

http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/cascadilla.html

* 1 small cucumber, peeled and seeded
    * 1 scallion
    * 1 small clove garlic
    * ?? t dill
    * 5 raw mushrooms
    * 4 c tomato juice
    * 1 c yogurt
    * salt
    * pepper
    * croutons
    * watercress, minced

Directions Two options:

1. Mince cucumber, scallion, garlic, dill, and 4 mushrooms, then combine with tomato juice, yogurt, salt, and pepper.
    2. Pur??e above ingredients.

Either way, cover bowl and chill for at least 30 minutes.

When ready to serve, thinly slice the 5th mushroom, and garnish cascadilla with mushroom slices, croutons, and watercress.

We have this William and Sonoma Soups cookbook.
    It was a fancy little gift someone.
    It is filled with great recipes, including the french onion we make.

The seafood chowder we make is based on one from this book. Baja Seafood Chowder.
    We really only use this for a rough out line but we started by following the recipe and it is always good.

I can't find it on the web.
    Here is the ingredient list.

2t olive oil
    2 cloves garlic
    onion
    bell pepper
    jalapeno
    hot pepper flakes
    fish stock
    1/4c red wine*
    2 cans tomatoes
    tomato paste
    11/2 T sugar
    oregano
    basil
    bay leaf
    1 potato
    12 clams
    1/2 pounds bass
    1/2 pounds shrimp
    (or a bunch of good stewing seafood that you find fresh and cheap at your market, plus whatever shellfish is available, or some frozen seafood from traders joes.)

Garnish with Cilantro and Limes.

Julia Child says never use a wine to cook that you wouldn't sever at the table.

• Easy Chicken Soup - we make this often, make your own stock though, store bought sucks.

5 ml olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    150 gm speck, finely diced
    3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1.5 litres (6 cups) hot chicken stock
    1 chicken (about 1.9kg), jointed
    200 gm (1 cup) risoni
    12 baby carrots (about 1 bunch), trimmed, large ones halved lengthways
    20 baby leeks (about 2 bunches), washed and trimmed
    150 gm sugarsnap peas, trimmed
    2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped

1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, speck and garlic and saut?? until just tender (5-7 minutes). Add chicken stock and 500ml hot water, increase heat to high, bring to the simmer, add chicken, reduce heat to medium and simmer until cooked through (8-10 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool slightly. Add risoni and carrots to stock and cook until almost cooked through (3-5 minutes).
    2 Meanwhile, coarsely shred chicken (discard skin and bones) and set aside. Add leeks and peas to pan and cook until just cooked through (1-2 minutes). Return chicken to pan, stir through to heat, season to taste and serve hot scattered with parsley, with crusty white bread.

Laksa - We do this often as well, making my goddamn mouth water just thinking about it.

1/3 cup olive oil
    400 ml coconut milk
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    800 ml fish or chicken stock
    2 sprigs of Vietnamese mint
    400 gm firm white fish fillets, such as snapper or mahi mahi
    2 small squid, cleaned and cut into 5mm-thick rings
    8 black mussels, scrubbed and bearded
    8 medium green prawns, peeled and cleaned leaving tails intact
    500 gm hokkien noodles, cooked in boiling water for 1 minute, then drained
    250 gm blanched baby green beans
    To serve: coriander sprigs and lime wedges
    Spice paste
    2 stalks of lemongrass, outer leaves removed, root ends trimmed and stalks finely chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 tsp ground turmeric, or 3cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped
    2.5 cm piece of galangal, peeled and chopped
    3 cm piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
    5 candlenuts
    1 onion, chopped
    6 fresh long red chillies, seeded and chopped
    2 tsp ground coriander seed
    1?? tsp belacan (roasted shrimp paste)

1 For spice paste, process all ingredients in a food processor until a paste forms, adding a little water if necessary.
    2 Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add spice paste and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add coconut milk, sugar, stock and mint and, stirring continuously, bring to the boil. As soon as mixture comes to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
    3 Add seafood and cook, covered, just until seafood is cooked through and mussels have opened. Using a slotted spoon, remove seafood and keep warm. Divide noodles, beans and seafood among soup bowls. Ladle hot laksa over, sprinkle with coriander sprigs and serve immediately, with lime wedges passed separately.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Julia Child says never use a wine to cook that you wouldn't sever at the table.

???I love cooking with wine???Sometimes I even put it in the food.???

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Hearty Almond Soup (no almonds in it)

*2-3 cans stock (doesn't have to come from a can, just 2-3 cans worth)
    *1 small can tomato paste or puree
    *chopped carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, etc.
    *1 large or 2 small potatoes, diced
    *1/2 cup rice
    *garlic, pepper, seasonings
    *red pepper and paprika for some heat
    *hot sauce for extra kick

The rice and potatoes make it hearty and carb-y so it's actually filling. The starch makes it a little thicker, as well.
    Add some meat if you aren't a vegetarian.

I don't really follow recipes for this type of thing.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Making this tonight...

Italian Meatball Soup

1 Box Beef Broth
    1 Pkg. Onion Soup Mix
    1 tsp. chopped garlic
    1 15 oz can stewed (diced) tomatoes
    1 Sm. can tomato sauce
    1 Med. Onion (diced)

1 Pkg Frozen Italian Style Meatballs
    3-4 Potatoes Diced
    1 can green beans
    1 sm can sliced mushrooms
    4 carrots (peeled and sliced)

Put the first 6 ingredients in the soup pot. Add the
    meatballs and let them come to a boil.
    Next: Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the
    potatoes are tender.
    Don't overcook or the potatoes will fall apart.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Black Chicken Soup for the sick young lady.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    Black Chicken Soup for sick young lady.

BLACK PEOPLE MAKE CHICKEN SOUP LIKE THIS, WHITE PEOPLE MAKE CHICKEN SOUP LIKE THIS!

• Almond said:
    Hearty Almond Soup (no almonds in it)

*2-3 cans stock (doesn't have to come from a can, just 2-3 cans worth)
    *1 small can tomato paste or puree
    *chopped carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, etc.
    *1 large or 2 small potatoes, diced
    *1/2 cup rice
    *garlic, pepper, seasonings
    *red pepper and paprika for some heat
    *hot sauce for extra kick

The rice and potatoes make it hearty and carb-y so it's actually filling. The starch makes it a little thicker, as well.
    Add some meat if you aren't a vegetarian.

I don't really follow recipes for this type of thing.

this sounds really good (and easy) thanks Almond.

all of these recipes are amazing, thanks everyone!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:
    Black Chicken Soup for sick young lady.

BLACK PEOPLE MAKE CHICKEN SOUP LIKE THIS, WHITE PEOPLE MAKE CHICKEN SOUP LIKE THIS!

Ha.....

• yesterday i had a corn soup with scallops, mussels, chili and chocolate.

got caught turning the bowl sideways to drip the little bits left onto my spoon.