Blossom Dearie Recommendations?

2»

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Cough.

(Don't worry, I pay to post here). The song I'm Shadowing You is on this album as well for some reason. Personally London In The Rain is the only thing I've heard by her that I really like.

I have that somehwere but found it really unremarkable. What was I missing?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I been looking for her 'i like london in the rain' LP for a minute now. It's pretty hard to find! Someone help me!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have one called "May I come in" on Capitol. Really dig it.

Just copped this.

Beautiful Jazz.

Rest In Peace

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There is one song on "Blossom Dearie Sings" (Daffodil) that really gets stuck in my head, but I cannot recall the chorus or title. Does anyone have this LP on mp3?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There is one song on "Blossom Dearie Sings" (Daffodil) that really gets stuck in my head, but I cannot recall the chorus or title. Does anyone have this LP on mp3?

I don't have the whole thing digitized but I'm converting "Sunday Afternoon" off that LP right now. Will post in a moment.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'd like to report back that i now have the LP with 'I like London in the Rain' on it, so you can all stop looking for me.

Thanks

• "baby youre my kind" on blossom dearie sings is real sunny too

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Geez. I cannot possibly explain why I like that Daffodil LP. But I do. I'm usually not into "quirky" music.

The song I'm thinking of mostly exists as melody, but contains a line snippet similar to "don't know how many times that I wished..." Incomplete songs that get stuck in your head are even worse than ones you know well.

And Dusty Groove just - rudely - sold this LP for $25 without telling me. Probably to a certain Strutter who shall remain nameless. Dammit.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    And Dusty Groove just - rudely - sold this LP for $25 without telling me. Probably to a certain Strutter who shall remain nameless. Dammit.

Wasn't me...but if I had gotten there ahead of you and this nameless so-and-so, it might have been.

• I love every version of this song.

• At the risk of heresy,I've only two Blossom Dearie albums but I stand by them proudly. My Gentleman Friend,as solid a 50s effort as can be named and perhaps most of all -That's The Way I want To Be. I don't know if this album is controversial but I find it an enchanting take on swinging London for Fontana no less. The songs pay tribute to Dusty Springfield,John Lennon,Georgie Fame,Scott Walker. A fascinating work that gently haunts me.
    DuderonomyFlomotion

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    There’s a nice reish 45 from 2009 that has “I like London In the Rain” on it with Cavril Payne’s “When I Open My Eyes” on the flip. 2 killer UK femme vox jazz joints on one piece, and the sound is good! 

Cheap and easily copped on Discogs for those who don’t turn up their noses when it’s not an OG ;)

• There are gems on every LP but Blossom's records fall into two boxes for me -  late 50s to the mid 70s where the records featured a lot more standards and covers than the Daffodil period from the late 70s onwards where she was more focused on original compositions, either hers or songs written for her. I really like the late stuff - Songs of Chelsea is a nice example of intimate, witty Blossom 30 years on from where she started. Not many funky numbers in her catalogue  - London In the Rain is a bit of an anomaly really..