Favorite Modern Soul LPs

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2018 in Music Talk

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Still have no idea what "modern soul" is supposed to mean.

Same goes for "boogie".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Same goes for "boogie".

Soul from 1980-1986

• HarveyCanal said:
    Same goes for "boogie".

'Boogie' is disco with the word 'boogie' in the lyrics.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

joints that come to mind '80-'86......('87 New Jack Swing knocks this out, plus Anita Baker resets the game)

Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Same goes for "boogie".

'Boogie' is disco with the word 'boogie' in the lyrics.

Weve been here before but ive always thought BOOGIE wasnt just Disco per-se like Donna Summer Disco vs Jackson 5 Blame It On The Boogie. Boogie seems to be a subset/variant of R&B not of Disco.
    S.O.L.A.R. = Boogie
    Sylvester = Disco

Tomatoes/ Tomahtoes.......

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

and of course.....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like Don Blackman, Leon Ware and Bernard Wright.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Same goes for "boogie".
    '

These are search words that ebay sellers use to unload crappy soul records for outrageous prices to dudes, usually, in the UK.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    "boogie".

Disco on/for Roller skates ?

• Woimsah said:

It's as if the eyeballs that went missing from that bust of Steve Arrington finally got their own album

• Breez said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Same goes for "boogie".
    '

These are search words that ebay sellers use to unload crappy soul records for outrageous prices to dudes, usually, in France.

• willie_fugal said:

chitlin' circuit modern?

(also see: J. Blackfoot's City Slicker album)

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Examples of boogie (which I would say has a very specific sound):

Angela Winbush & Rene I'll be good

Modern Soul is a term that is thrown around a lot and placed on a very wide array of soul music.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    edpowers said:
    "boogie".

Disco on/for Roller skates ?
    I call it disco or post-1979 disco with synthesizers included on the tracks.

some favs.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    To me, boogie is NOT disco, although it has disco sensibilities. Boogie in my mind spans from 1976-1985 and incorporated R&B rhythm patterns and synthesizers heavily into music for dancing versus the thumping 4 on the floor kick drum typical of disco. This is my take. Saying boogie and modern soul are "crap for people overseas" is not a particularly fair assessment imo.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sorry, I can't stop just calling all this stuff merely "stuff I used to listen to on the schoolbus as a kid".

I mean, somehow Rick James' Street Songs album doesn't seem to me like it fits the "modern soul" mold.

And that first clip that musica posted sounds a whole lot like Cameo to me, and I can't start calling Cameo "boogie".

I mean, I sorta see the distinctions being made with these terms, but eh.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Mtume - Juicy Fruit

S.O.S. Band - III

The Whispers - Imagination

Bernard Wright - Nard

Freeez - Southern Freeez

I dont know any old Black folk that use the terms Modern Soul ( R&B) or Boogie, but i can flirt w/ the distinctions.

When/How does Soul morph into Modern Soul? Why is 1980 the turnover year?

There were folks still makin modernized 70's joints in the early 80's.

Shit Teddy Pendergrass in the late 70's is makin Modern Soul, that sound way different(yet connected) than Al Green circa '73.

Either way its a fun game to catagorize.

I would place Rick James - Street Songs as a Funk album, yet Fire & Desire is Soul(Modern or not).

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Sweet_Premium said:

Oh hell yes! Nice pick.

• Love this album.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    batmon said:

It isn't - they started using the term in the UK in the early 70s

• classique

• Loose Ends, man.

Central Line has some jams.

Noting some things here I'd like to check out.

• When/How does Soul morph into Modern Soul? Why is 1980 the turnover year?

I know I'll get some disagreement here, but I always thought of the turnover year for "modern" soul as 1976.

That year, seemed like there was a clear, clean break with the older blues-influenced styles.

As late as 1975, somebody like Syl Johnson or Latimore could still get a hit with a downhome sound. But by '76 that was already on the way out. Even Al Green seemed to be fading around this time.

Once you get over disco, who were some of the newer names in the soul field between 1976-79? Evelyn "Champagne" King. Teddy Pendergrass. Stephanie Mills. The Solar Records sound. The emergence of Patti LaBelle as a solo artist. GQ. Raydio. Even some of the less-remembered acts like the Jones Girls or Linda Clifford. It's not that big of a jump between this era and the squiggly, synthy sounds of the early eighties, IMO.

• willie_fugal said:
    pickwick33 said:
    willie_fugal said:

chitlin' circuit modern?

(also see: J. Blackfoot's City Slicker album)

kinda, just barely a little bit

'cause that's how I know L.V., he was sorta in that Tyrone Davis/Z.Z. Hill soul-blues bag

my favorite song by him is "it's not my time," which is pretty aggressively southern and wouldn't fit in this thread.

but I think anybody into "trenchcoat soul" ala Luther V. or Freddie Jackson would probably like J. Blackfoot's "Taxi"

• pickwick33 said:

I know I'll get some disagreement here, but I always thought of the turnover year for "modern" soul as 1976.

Since i've noticed the term "modern soul" cropping up, i've associated it more with sounds than years - i'd class modern soul as soul with more lush prduction values than the 60s/early 70s stuff, so something like Leon Ware's Instant Love, which is 1976, would be kind of a benchmark modern tune for me.

I did a mix of what I class as boogie http://www.djwaxon.com/mixes/dj-wax-on-touching-the-80s/ (although the Kano joint is disco)

I guess for me the split in about 1979 onwards is where the straight, arppegiator-driven itali-disco type stuff emerges like Kano and Moroder stuff, and then on the other side, the more soulful, synth bass driven funky stuff is what i'd class as boogie.

• aromiaromi 20 Posts
    This one surely doen't belong to the list of my all-time favorites, but during the last few weeks, I've been listening to it a lot. A solid album produced by Lamont Dozier.