Favorite Modern Soul LPs

2»

Comments

• Although the Jeffree LP would qualify in my all time fave LPs list.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    This thread is hilarious.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Do people still ride for that Burton Inc LA Will Make You Pay $$$ album? There was a time that it was pure Strutnip, and based upon it's advocates I assumed it was Modern Soul.

• arXarX 12 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Still have no idea what "modern soul" is supposed to mean.

Same goes for "boogie".
    I recently picked up an old issue of Wax Poetics (#28) that had an interview with Dam-Funk where he discusses 'boogie':

Would you describe the difference between boogie and future funk?
    As far as boogie, early Slave and Cameo are examples of popular boogie. That was the second wave of funk music. James Brown and Sly Stone created the first generation. Boogie is the sound of slap bass, loud claps, melodic chords, and synthesizers. Boogie followed the last gasp of disco. Boogie includes releases on labels like Prelude, Sam Records, late West End Records, late Brunswick, and U.K. labels like Elite. Boogie-ologists will tell you it's mainly from the early '80s, and it encompasses Italo disco as well. I collect and spin boogie, but my original music is modern or future funk. I keep it earthy and use analog machines and special chords. I want my music to be warm and funky. So, it feels like new funk, With my music, I want the chords to affect you. Maybe there's a place you've never been to physically; it only exists in your dreams. I want my music to unlock that.