Prop 19

124»

Comments

• mannybolone said:
    The press coverage leading up (and after! has been uniformly snickering. Embarassingly so.

• JehovWet said:
    mannybolone said:
    The press coverage leading up (and after! has been uniformly snickering. Embarassingly so.

sweet! this video sort of makes sense until about 1 minute. why is the terminator shooting paint-gun blasts at a protester? why is a bear doing bong hits and being doused by uncle sam?

and yeah, what's with these super lame puns i keep hearing ALL OVER almost every (but always local) newscast? is that something they teach in journalism school?

• bull_ox said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    The irony is all the dudes I know who are really really for this don't have their shit together enough to be registered voters and aren't trying to rectify that - and that's just based on things I see around me.

Not only is this not ironic, I think its one reason a lot of people will be joking about why this didn't pass...

^^^ exactly my point. Didn't pass because most dudes I know where getting high watching the local news results instead of actually voting. Just look at the turnout. Doesn't match the high times subscription circulation : irony.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    JehovWet said:
    mannybolone said:

sweet! this video sort of makes sense until about 1 minute. why is the terminator shooting paint-gun blasts at a protester? why is a bear doing bong hits and being doused by uncle sam?

Terminator/paint gun=governor Schwarzenegger and "non lethal" penalties for pot that already exsist
    Bear= people of California (state animal) still will be under federal law (Uncle Sam being a buzzkill)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "The measure drew strong support from voters younger than 25, as the campaign had hoped, but those voters did not turn out in unusually high numbers, according to a state exit poll. The initiative also failed to win over the moderate voters who make up the state's decisive swing vote."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pot-20101103-1,0,5135592.story

It's interesting that in several election cycles now, no one's been able to figure out how to get the youth vote turnout in a higher % than they typically do. It was numerically higher in 2008 but so was turnout overall so their share of the voting % didn't shift as a result.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    "The measure drew strong support from voters younger than 25, as the campaign had hoped, but those voters did not turn out in unusually high numbers, according to a state exit poll. The initiative also failed to win over the moderate voters who make up the state's decisive swing vote."

It's interesting that in several election cycles now, no one's been able to figure out how to get the youth vote turnout in a higher % than they typically do. It was numerically higher in 2008 but so was turnout overall so their share of the voting % didn't shift as a result.

Offer a free Phish CD for every voter who shows up at the polls.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    People under 25 listen to Phish?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Not sure....my 21 year old was sitting first row for N.E.R.D. in Seattle last night and my 23 year old is on her way home from this past weekend's rally in D.C. and may very well be listening to Phish.

• mannybolone said:

Tons of people under 25 listen to the Grateful Dead - and are full blown Deadheads, even.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Well, shoot, if someone could get people under 25 to vote, things would be a lot different in this country. A side-story of all of these tea party folks is that a lot of them are political neophytes, at least as far as organization a campaign or doing anything outside of simply casting a ballot. And many of them were in their 50s or older.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    bull_ox said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    The irony is all the dudes I know who are really really for this don't have their shit together enough to be registered voters and aren't trying to rectify that - and that's just based on things I see around me.

Not only is this not ironic, I think its one reason a lot of people will be joking about why this didn't pass...

^^^ exactly my point. Didn't pass because most dudes I know where getting high watching the local news results instead of actually voting. Just look at the turnout. Doesn't match the high times subscription circulation : irony.

On my way home from work yesterday, I saw a guy with a tie dyed shirt and cutoff jeans (not stereotyping, just saying) in the street waving a sign that said "If you vote Yes on 19, I'll give you a bong rip". Now that's counter productive messaging if I've ever seen it!