Prop 19

z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
You Cali dudes are in a position to have your vote heard around the world on this one.

Comments

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    we came so close in canada and then the conservatives started their era
    dont let it slip through your fingers, you may never get the chance again

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    it won't pass

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    edpowers said:
    it won't pass

Almost everybody I know who is already in the pot biz opposes it. They want legalization, but say this legislation is sloppy and poorly written.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I would really surprised if it passes. Too much opposition, from The Right as well as from the already exiting pot industry. I know mad dudes who work on farms up north a they're shitting their pants about it passing.

But honestly the fact that it's on the bill at all and has some sort of momentum speaks volumes. Honestly if you had ever asked me if pot would be legal in America I would have said that, well... That you're smoking pot!

• correct me if i am wrong but aren't there already legal pot dispensaries in cali and you just get some bogus prescription for it because you say you have headaches or are depressed?

will this proposition simply do away with the sham of having to get that prescription?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    correct me if i am wrong but aren't there already legal pot dispensaries in cali and you just get some bogus prescription for it because you say you have headaches or are depressed?

will this proposition simply do away with the sham of having to get that prescription?

You are missing the point by so far I don't know where to begin.

Can you imagine if alcohol had simply been decriminalized instead of legalized?

• If the right and the tea party were as libertarian as they say they are, this would pass in a landslide.

• z_illa said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    correct me if i am wrong but aren't there already legal pot dispensaries in cali and you just get some bogus prescription for it because you say you have headaches or are depressed?

i asked how things would change in actual practice should the proposition pass.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    z_illa said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

i asked how things would change in actual practice.

And again, your ability to score a dime is not the point.

• z_illa said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    z_illa said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

i asked how things would change in actual practice.

And again, your ability to score a dime is not the point.

says you.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    gareth said:
    If the right and the tea party were as libertarian as they say they are, this would pass in a landslide.

Big tobacco gonna eat that shit up if it passes. Believe that.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Pot is for the weak.

• gareth said:
    If the right and the tea party were as libertarian as they say they are, this would pass in a landslide.

Exactly.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Brian said:
    gareth said:

I'm still ambivalent about this prop since I can't quite figure out what the benefits are for its passage besides (and this is a big deal) decriminalization for possession. I guess I have a day to figure all this out.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Brian said:
    gareth said:

Not anytime soon. These rumors that BT is buying up all kinds of land in norcal are absurd. Big tobacco is a global business. Why in the world would they start selling a product that they can only sell in one state? That the Feds can come in and take away and put them in jail for?

BT is watching and waiting. A lot more has to be done for them to start to move.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

Me: - Doc, I really need a weed script.

Dr. - Well I just can't hand them out, I need a reason to prescribe it.

Me: - Oh, OK...well I'm really, really stressed out.

Dr. - That's just a symptom, what is it that's stressing you out.

Me: - The drive home when I have to go score weed.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Brian said:
    gareth said:

I'm still ambivalent about this prop since I can't quite figure out what the benefits are for its passage besides (and this is a big deal) decriminalization for possession. I guess I have a day to figure all this out.

ODUB

Think of the children. By all accounts usage increase will be negligible. Legalizing will cut drug cartels profits in half. Seriously. It will also cut street gang profits significantly, especially at the low end, the most vulnerable. It will slow down the militarization of our police forces. It will put money spent on children to better use than lying to them about drugs. A legal market is the only way to go. This is no brainer. This bill will not decriminalize possession. Arnold already did that. This will replace the black market (a true gateway to crime) with a legal market. A market has/does/will exist. All this prop is is picking which one you favor.

• I wonder how many dealers will vote against it, smh.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    This shit will be legalized nationwide once the feds see how much tax dollars Cali is raking in and how much they are saving in public safety. There is no way the feds will overstep their boundary on this with a bankrupt state that is trying to stay afloat independently. They sue over this and then California needs a bailout? Shiiiiiit....

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Pot is for the weak.
    Old people say Pot

Rockadelic said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Pot is for the weak.
    Old people say The Pot

edpowers said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Pot is for the weak.
    Old people say Pot
    They can call it whatever they want--they defeated the Nazis in WW2.

Reynaldo said:
    edpowers said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Pot is for the weak.
    Old people say Pot

Yet you apparently endorse smoking cigarettes.

I always thought cigarettes were to The Pot, what non-alcoholic beer was to beer.

I guess cancer w/o the buzz is not for the weak.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Why study says alcohol more dangerous than heroin, cocaine
    November 01, 2010

Cathal Kelly
    Staff Reporter

The former U.K. drug czar has published a study damning alcohol as a more dangerous drug than heroin or crack cocaine and urged governments to radically readjust their targets in the fight on narcotics.

Prof. David Nutt, head of the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs, published his comparison in the medical journal, Lancet.

One Canadian expert said the study should prompt a new discussion about the dangers of alcohol abuse and a ???more rational??? consideration of our overall drug policy.

Nutt???s study weighs the danger of a drug based on a 16-point checklist ??? nine factors relating to harm to the user, and seven more measuring harm to others. Effects measured range from death to loss of mental functioning to crime to failed relationships.

The checklist produces a score out of 100 ??? the higher the score, the greater the danger.

Overall, alcohol scored a 72 on Nutt???s measure, well ahead of heroin (55) and crack (54).

In order of personal risk, the worst offenders were heroin, crack and crystal methamphetamine. The worst narcotics in terms of their effect on others were, in order, alcohol, heroin and crack.

???We need to rethink how we deal with drugs in light of these findings,??? Nutt told the Guardian.

Nutt, a psychiatrist and neuropyschopharmacologist, has become a lightning rod in Britain???s drug wars. He was fired as chair of the government???s Advisory Council on Misuse of Drugs after his advice to lower the party-drug ecstasy from its classification as a class ???A??? drug ??? along with heroin and crack ??? was ignored. He also disagreed with the government???s decision to raise cannabis from class ???C??? to ???B.???

Nutt argued that the government was making decisions on drug classifications using political, rather than scientific, criteria.

Nutt has argued in the past that tobacco and alcohol are a greater danger to society than marijuana or LSD.

One of Nutt???s co-authors said that the takeaway from the study was not that alcohol should be banned.

???We cannot return to the days of prohibition,??? said Leslie King, an adviser to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs. ???Alcohol is too embedded in our culture and it won't go away.???

Instead, King called for a redistribution of resources away from illegal drugs to fight the problem of alcoholism.

???Once you look into the science ??? you will see that alcohol is currently doing the most harm in our societies,??? said Dr. Jurgen Rehm, a senior scientist at Toronto???s Centre for Addiction and Mental Health who has done similar research in Canada. ???We need to go over the arsenal of alcohol-control policies, and examine them rationally on what they can do for Canada.???

Rehm was one of the authors of a 2006 study that posited that the per capita cost to Canadian society of tobacco ($541) and alcohol ($463) far outweighs that of illegal drugs ($262).

Amongst Rehm???s advice ??? increase taxes on booze, revisit alcohol advertising and its ???enticement??? to minors and expand efforts at harm reduction. Rehm referenced a CAMH study on simple measures to reduce alcohol-related violence at bars as just one example.

He also suggests that Canada reconsider its policies on illegal drugs. He cited California???s sweeping Proposition 19 to legalize many marijuana-related activities as one example that such a discussion north of the border ???is inevitable.???

???We need to come up with a way where we no longer criminalize the user for certain drugs, but where we try to reduce the risk to the user and to society as a whole,??? Rehm said.

???Of course, we don???t want syringes in front of our schools ??? but we have to come up with a more rational discussion.???

Nutt???s List of Overall Harm

Alcohol (72)

Heroin (55)

Crack (54)

Crystal Meth (33)

Cocaine (27)

Tobacco (26)

Amphetamines (Speed) ??? (23)

Cannabis (20)

GHB (18)

Benzodiazapines (15)

Ketamine (15)

Methadone (13)

Butane (10)

Qat (9)

Ecstasy (9)

With files from Associated Press

• Reynaldo said:
    Pot is for the weak.

it will make those tepid salsa records sound a lot better though

The_Hook_Up said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Pot is for the weak.

it will make those tepid salsa records sound a lot better though
    Maybe to a white boy who can't dance.

Rockadelic said:
    Reynaldo said:
    edpowers said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Pot is for the weak.
    Old people say Pot

Yet you apparently endorse smoking cigarettes.

I always thought cigarettes were to The Pot, what non-alcoholic beer was to beer.

I guess cancer w/o the buzz is not for the weak.
    If cigarette smokers hadn't defeated the Nazis in WW2 I'd have to reassess my position.

The banksters and oligarchs want us to be high and mellow while being simultaneously arrestable.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Am I seeing things? Odub did you delete your last post?

Not to single you out, but every time you speak on this subject your logic baffles me. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. If anything it might help ME understand where it is you are coming from.

• I just read the prop and I think it's too vague. Plus some harsh prison sentences for people that bend the law. IDK.