Is There Any Record That Sells For Four Figures

124»

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Double post

• musica said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    You know what though? I've sold records for thousands and that money is gone.

The whole "but what if the offer was this??" line of reasoning implies that one's collecting is totally devoid of intrinsic joy.

You could offer me $5000 for a record, it's entirely possible that I would get more joy over the course of my life from the record than from the 5k, which will be gone relatively quickly.

Why did u sell the Love, Warmth 45? That would be a keeper for sure.

Good question. I liked that record but for me it wasn't hands down "a keeper". I mean, it is certainly not in the top 10 or 20 sweet soul records I've ever heard, and the price tag didn't make it sound any better. I don't particularly care about its origins, like some folks who are into Panamanian stuff explicitly. I always thought I might find another based on where my copy came from... but ultimately, I was in a different frame of mind back then. Today, I might very well hold onto it. Like I said before, I learned from experience not to jump at the first promise of money. I could certainly have sold it for MORE now. That's for sure.

I keep very few high-dollar records for the sake of. There are a few that I would happily move for the right offer, and a few that are completely off the table. I think that's a rational way to approach it. I sell records every day that in a world of limitless opulence I might keep. But I'm not losing much sleep over it. Once one works its way into my memory, it becomes hard to get rid of... but I've forgotten more of them than I have remembered.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Yes I.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    it's kind of simple, when I need money my 4 figure records will be for sale, but I don't at the moment, so they're not. When that time comes I will be glad for others who feel they are still worth 4 figures.

• Spending a $1,000.00 on a record if your not a record collector should sound absurd. But if it's your thing, come on, it's not all that strange. Honestly, aside from Love, Sex, Children, Family, and maybe a good meal- what else gives you the same amount of pleasure over and over again?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    coolchris said:
    Spending a $1,000.00 on a record if your not a record collector should sound absurd. But if it's your thing, come on, it's not all that strange. Honestly, aside from Love, Sex, Children, Family, and maybe a good meal- what else gives you the same amount of pleasure over and over again?

Right. Records are my thing in this life. I'll be lucky if I get another 40 years on this earth, and for the first part of my life other than the love of family and friends there's been nothing that gives me the joy that I get from this record shit. And I am not a religious man at all - completely the opposite - but I would definitely use the term "blessed" that I have actually been able to have a successful career revolving around my joy of these records.

I paid over a grand for my copy of East Of Underground. Truth be told I don't think the record is the end-all-be-all of funk music and whatnot. It's great, but not the ultimate.

However my wife fell in love with the music when she first heard me play it, and decided that we have to have our first dance at our wedding to it. So because of that I knew I had to have the record. And I got it. And I probably will never sell it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If I may add to Cool Chris' list of things that give you pleasure over time besides sex, food, family...

A really good bed. Totally worth the investment. But of course, unlike records, you can never recoup on it years later.

Advantage: records. ;)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yes, a good bed is crucial. I got a brand new mattress like 2 years ago and it changed my life. It cost like over 4K but well worth it.

Isn't there a old-timey Strut joke about this?

B/W

The same trip shopping for the mattress I was half tempted to spring for the $12,000 horsehair-stuffed mattress. Kind of heavenly.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Isn't there a old-timey Strut joke about this?

dolo-related

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Many records that sell for 4 figures are worth that kind of money. I'd argue that there are even more records that don't sell for 4 figures that should and will in the next while. A case in point is Spelunk netting 1400$ for that Frank Motley and the Hitch - Hikers LP a few days ago, when I copped that it was a 300$ record... though his sell price could be an anomaly. That said, 2K seems to be the new benchmark for the uber rare funk LP.
    I sometimes wonder though if they will fetch 4 figures 20-30 yrs from now, my crystal ball is hazy on this point.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    FortyFivan said:

= signed Verocai not for sale for any amount of money. I know some of you guys like to poke fun at my obsession with that record, but it really does mean the world to me.

I can totally dig and respect why this LP is your bible but personally I've always been ambivalent about it - brilliant compositions, almost "standards-like", but coupled with at times really bad musicianship. For example the out of tune vocals and saxophone at the beginning of Pela Sombras. Such a great song deserved better treatment. If it hadn't been for these flaws I would of sought it out myself.