Is There Any Record That Sells For Four Figures

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    I haven't yet heard a four figure record that I'd pay four figures for, but I could imagine paying that much for some of the LPs in my collection that I just love beyond reason and have listened too steadfastly for the last 20 years, if that was the asking price. Fortunately for me though, the stuff I happen to love the most has always ceilinged at three figures and rarely passed 500$.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The fuck is wrong with some of you people?

A grand. A part of a monthly salary on something you can cherish forever.

Cheap bastards.

:icegrill:

;-P

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Finding a record worth $1000 is exciting, but I wouldn't ever be able to keep it for myself. I'd be too nervous to even put it on and listen to it! What do people who own $1000 dollar records do with them other than put them in a really safe place?

Once you get a section of your expedit called "4 figure records" it gets pretty easy. That's what DeeRock told me anyway.

Now who is spending $100+ on re-issues? That's the real head-scratcher right there. Do you listen to them while smoking Dominican stogies and drinking red wine out of a box?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I've only done it once with Verocai and have never for a second regretted it. I will cherish that record for life along with the experience of seeing him perform live, meeting him and getting the record signed by him.

• TheKindCromang said:
    vintageinfants said:
    i can't wait until a strutteur shows up on pawn stars trying to hock a verocai, and they need to call another strutteur to appraise it's value.

When is there going to be an "American Pickers" type show for Diggers?

I hope this never happens.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Now who is spending $100+ on re-issues? That's the real head-scratcher right there. Do you listen to them while smoking Dominican stogies and drinking red wine out of a box?

YES. Pair with $50-a-box Red Grape Wine-flavor Mad Dog 20 20.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SportCasual said:

Double post. From here on out, I think we should treat double posts as a "take 2". Improvise on the theme a second time.

ahem

YO DAWG I DROP HUNDOS ON GUMBALLS. MY LEVEL. GOOGLE IT.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    SportCasual said:

Now who is spending $100+ on re-issues? That's the real head-scratcher right there.

I never understood that either. If I ever buy a reissue, I almost never do, it is looked at as a temporary thing, IMO, because I plan on getting the OG. The reissue never gets a permanent home, at least not with me. I especially like when people cop a gang of reissues for serious loot and then make mixes using said records and call themselves a digger and think they're special for having "rare" records.Yall know who yall are, C'mon son!!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    you tell 'em Breezy!

fuck those dudes who just like the music & shit

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    BOSCOE

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    djmario said:
    Horseleech said:
    djmario said:
    Horseleech said:

O'Seis 7"
    As an aside, have you heard that this has been bootlegged in Brazil? People are going crazy down there for it. I even had a dude in Sao Paulo ask if I knew who did it and could get copies!!

Yeah, there was somebody walking around at WFMU who was selling them - was it done in Brazil or the U.S?

I'm not sure. If I we're to guess, I'd say in Brazil. It's the type of record that seems to appeal to the internal market there far more than outside (except for "international psych" collectors).

I think this is true, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't a pressing plant in Brazil right now that can do 7".

It also looked like a U.S. pressing to me, for whatever that's worth.

• Breez said:
    SportCasual said:

Now who is spending $100+ on re-issues? That's the real head-scratcher right there.

I never understood that either. If I ever buy a reissue, I almost never do, it is looked at as a temporary thing, IMO, because I plan on getting the OG. The reissue never gets a permanent home, at least not with me. I especially like when people cop a gang of reissues for serious loot and then make mixes using said records and call themselves a digger and think they're special for having "rare" records.Yall know who yall are, C'mon son!!
    100 bonardz on a re-ish are 100 bonerods that could be going towards the original! At least that's how I see it

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i thought about copping that verocai mario because its a record i cherish
    but now way i could do it
    i am quite happy that when you threw down ivan, it was combined with the concert/singing
    it augments both the sentimental and financial value of the record and a great story
    that's aligned stars right thurr

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'd pay $4000 for the 1st Left Banke LP if it was the only one in existence.

• SoulOnIce said:

you would say the same thing about the weezer blue album though.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    SoulOnIce said:

you would say the same thing about the weezer blue album though.
    weezer's 1st is a good album.
    I need to hear the 1st Left Banke, keep meaning to pick it up, but always forget.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i think the way to think about it, which is what i read Rock's post as, is: assuming money was no object, what would you pay? if i had a billion dollars it wouldn't make me pay way over established value just to own a record - id still want to feel i paid roughly "market value" or less if possible, just because thats the goal in record digging or shopping. of course id shop MORE OFTEN and buy MORE RECORDS if money was no object, and id buy records ive left sit because the budget was strained in the past - but i wouldnt just scoop things i felt were overpriced.

that said, i KNOW ive spent more than market value at times, for things i REALLY needed and was tired of waiting for. having unlimited $ would allow more of those white whales to get acquired.... but the only way id be spending $1000+ is if the record consistently sells for that anyway - AND i freaking "NEED" it.

that would include several mentioned here, like Index, etc.

• Options
    Person with stone mint og 'Trip Thru Hell' will get more than ten Franklins from me.

• How about this question:

Is there a record you own that you would not sell for any amount of money?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DCarfagna said:
    How about this question:

Nope. And you?

• the only record not worth selling is the one you know you will never be able to get again. the one whose music is emotionally evocative enough that the record becomes a kind of talisman or charged object. i only have one record that qualifies, but it would take quite a lot for me to come off it. i'm talking like, house in fiji level.

the whole bullshit about musical value vs monetary value is the most tired subject. how fucking hard is it to understand? if you love music, and your most profound connection to music comes from listening to records, and a record that gives you a certain joy - an infinitely re-experienceable joy, even if it's just knowing you own it - only cost you $1,000, that is really not a big deal in the scheme of things. there's a lot of money in the world and myriad ways to get it. certain records, not so much.

• musica said:
    DCarfagna said:
    How about this question:

Nope. And you?
    Plenty...see Scrapp's comments above.

• DCarfagna said:
    musica said:
    DCarfagna said:
    How about this question:

Nope. And you?

Plenty.

I find it odd that someone would not have any records like this. Records that were connected to certain people or memories... records that would just be flat out impossible to find again. I guess that is more a statement about the person themselves or their collection, but damn. That's a pretty wild/rough concept to me, that if someone just came up with the right sum, they could have it all. Either there is nothing of import in a collection like that, or the sole impetus for amassing it was to grow an investment that could all be cashed out for the right price. Seems sad.

DCarfagna said:
    musica said:
    DCarfagna said:
    How about this question:

Nope. And you?
    Plenty...see Scrapp's comments above.

For ANY amount? I have a small handful of super cool / unique joints like any other serious collectro on here, but to me "any" can mean serious $$$$ that I could use to have way more fun with than some interesting piece of vinyl on my shelf (of which there's plenty more where that came from). Just my opinion.

Some principled collectros in the place!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DCarfagna said:
    musica said:
    DCarfagna said:
    How about this question:

Nope. And you?

Plenty.

I find it odd that someone would not have any records like this. Records that were connected to certain people or memories... records that would just be flat out impossible to find again. I guess that is more a statement about the person themselves or their collection, but damn. That's a pretty wild/rough concept to me, that if someone just came up with the right sum, they could have it all. Either there is nothing of import in a collection like that, or the sole impetus for amassing it was to grow an investment that could all be cashed out for the right price. Seems sad.

Obviously there are certain portions of my collection that are not for sale, but if you would read the original question, it said ANY amount of money. My collection of original African press Fela LP's is a great example of this. I would never even consider trading these or selling them because I love them too much, but if someone offers me a milly for them, of course I'm letting those things go. Life = change, but apparently some folks are scared of that.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    the only records i wont sell for any amount of money are the ones i made with my friends. or the one my friends made. too many memories from that time in my life. makes me feel like i did something cool for a few years...

BUT i don't think there is a single person in the world who would want to buy the stuff so it really doesn't count now does it?

• musica said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DCarfagna said:
    musica said:
    DCarfagna said:
    How about this question:

Nope. And you?

Plenty.

Obviously there are certain portions of my collection that are not for sale, but if you would read the original question, it said ANY amount of money. My collection of original African press Fela LP's is a great example of this. I would never even consider trading these or selling them because I love them too much, but if someone offers me a milly for them, of course I'm letting those things go. Life = change, but apparently some folks are scared of that.

I think that's a dodge. Nobody will ever offer you a million dollars for your Fela records. But someone might offer you $5000 for something, or a lesser amount that still equals five or six times the "going rate".

Life is short, fleeting, and precious. The emotions, people and memories associated with certain records are worth far more than their weight in gold to me. For a while I was of the mind that everything could have its price, particularly since I was in a good position to always be able to re-acquire things. But I've deeply regretted selling a few things, and the regret wasn't assuaged by paying for another copy of the record.

• There are records I won't even mint up because of this shit.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    This...

i am quite happy that when you threw down ivan, it was combined with the concert/singing
    it augments both the sentimental and financial value of the record and a great story
    that's aligned stars right thurr

+ this...

Records that were connected to certain people or memories... records that would just be flat out impossible to find again.

= signed Verocai not for sale for any amount of money. I know some of you guys like to poke fun at my obsession with that record, but it really does mean the world to me.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    There are records I won't even mint up because of this shit.

U sound like a hoarder