Is There Any Record That Sells For Four Figures

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
That the majority of strutters all agree is worth that kind of money??

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    No. Money is every bit as subjective as music, if not more so. Just as there is no universal "good," there is no universal "expensive."

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Whhhhhat about Scorpio & His People? Wasn't everyone here buggin' out on that one?

• Surely Pearly Queen Quit Jivin is undissable to everyone on the board. I expect the Scorpio love to flow. Rokks - Patience seems above dispute
    Lps ? Sarah Webster Fabios Folkways would be hard to dislike Bobby Boyd Congress first lp on Okapi. Marijata the blue one hard to begrudge them.

• unity said:
    Whhhhhat about Scorpio & His People? Wasn't everyone here buggin' out on that one?

As I was typing....

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I only record I would pay 4 figures for would be one I could sell for 5 figures.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    francozola0 said:
    Surely Pearly Queen Quit Jivin is undissable to everyone on the board.

Think again.

francozola0 said:

I expect the Scorpio love to flow.

Lps ? Sarah Webster Fabios Folkways would be hard to dislike Bobby Boyd Congress first lp on Okapi. Marijata the blue one hard to begrudge them.

Agreed.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    james said:
    No. Money is every bit as subjective as music, if not more so. Just as there is no universal "good," there is no universal "expensive."

It's been my experience in the world of psych/rock collecting that there are some titles that no one will argue are not worth $1,000+.

For the most part these are records that have held that kind of value for 10+ years and even the re-issues sell for over $100.

A few off the top of my head would be....

Index
    The Bachs
    Bent Wind

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Atomic Forest
    Paebiru
    Aguaturbia 1&2
    Tarkus
    Kaleidoscope (Mexico)
    O'Seis 7"
    Rob

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Index
    The Bachs
    Bent Wind

any of these got breakz yo?

I heard that DR Hooker is now worth over $1000 because it was on a Stone Throw comp

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'd drop $1K on East of Underground. That is, if I had $1K to drop.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    james said:

It's been my experience in the world of psych/rock collecting that there are some titles that no one will argue are not worth $1,000+.

For the most part these are records that have held that kind of value for 10+ years and even the re-issues sell for over $100.

A few off the top of my head would be....

Index
    The Bachs
    Bent Wind

Wouldn't Mariani's Perpetuum Mobile or The Moon Blood record count as far as psych records are concerned as well as the Music Emporium? I've seen the latter get crazy figures when they were auctioned.

• Horseleech said:
    Atomic Forest
    Paebiru
    Aguaturbia 1&2
    Tarkus
    Kaleidoscope (Mexico)
    O'Seis 7"
    Rob

If your talking about Psych n tings definetely Paebiru and Aguaturbia I just dont get the Tarkus. The first Can lp would have to be there definetely the Index mentioned above. Ithaca , Mark Fry etc I wouldnt say no to that Israeli Churchills lp.

Rockadelic said:
    james said:

Well, I guess it depends what you mean by "worth." If you mean people's sense of what a record will sell for, then yeah, a consensus of worth probably wouldn't be too hard to reach among those decently familiar with the market. If, however, you mean people's sense of a record's inherent value in relation to its market price, then I don't think there can be any real consensus.

If there does seem to be more unanimity in the psych/rock world, I suspect that it might be because that school of collecting has been around long enough and has been codified enough that the disparity has shrunk closer to the point where the market becomes the taste. The crate-digging school of collecting--which, vigorously as some may front, remains the absolute engine behind soulstrut--is definitely getting to that point, too, but is for the moment just young enough that a big slice of its constituency can still say "fuck your heroes" with a straight face.

But yeah, I assumed that here you were talking about the latter, more ephemeral definition of "worth," since I took this thread as an extension of your points in the Black Out thread, which seemed based more on the inherent value idea. Over there, you seemed rueful that folks could not grasp the abstract worthiness of stuff like Black Out and the Soulettes (for what it's worth, I was kinda shaking my head, too).

Maybe I read you and this thread wrong, though. If you were in fact asking whether there are records that soulstrut can agree would sell for four figures, then I'd like to change my answer to "Yeah, probably."

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    a bunch that were already mentioned +
    Pat Thomas Presents... Marijata
    Dark OG
    Modulo 1000

there should be no rap records that sell for 4 figures in 2010.

Seriously - this topic keeps on recycling itself every few months and everyone takes up on the same positions.

Just remember: in the world of "collectible consumerism" records are pretty fucking low on that totem polem compared to other forms of mass-produced items that people assign high value to. Look at the used book market for example. Arguing over whether a record is worth "four figures" is laughable to other markets where loot like that is small time.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Seriously - this topic keeps on recycling itself every few months and everyone takes up on the same positions.

Just remember: in the world of "collectible consumerism" records are pretty fucking low on that totem polem compared to other forms of mass-produced items that people assign high value to. Look at the used book market for example. Arguing over whether a record is worth "four figures" is laughable to other markets where loot like that is small time.

Thanks Dad, now go back to your antique sign collecting and rare table lamps. ;)

• i can't wait until a strutteur shows up on pawn stars trying to hock a verocai, and they need to call another strutteur to appraise it's value.

• Horseleech said:

O'Seis 7"
    As an aside, have you heard that this has been bootlegged in Brazil? People are going crazy down there for it. I even had a dude in Sao Paulo ask if I knew who did it and could get copies!!

• I'm pretty sure if a mint George Jackson "Tender Love" hit the bay it would approach four figures...vg copies have gone for 700. It may possibly be the best and rarest Memphis r&b 45...and if I had the $, I would drop the loot on it...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I would never pay $1000 for a record but how about the Invaders?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    After 20+ years of buying and selling, i've finally come to the conclusion that ultimately, the only value you can place on a particular record is your own. If something you want is too high, move on. It'll come around. Or you could get the reissue or CD or mp3s. What's more important - enjoying the recording or telling people you paid a months salary for the vinyl?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    djmario said:
    Horseleech said:

O'Seis 7"
    As an aside, have you heard that this has been bootlegged in Brazil? People are going crazy down there for it. I even had a dude in Sao Paulo ask if I knew who did it and could get copies!!

Yeah, there was somebody walking around at WFMU who was selling them - was it done in Brazil or the U.S?

mannybolone said:
    Arguing over whether a record is worth "four figures" is laughable to other markets where loot like that is small time.
    Oh, so we don't need to talk about records and money, then? Ever? Cool.

Seriously, no offense, dude, but your post reminds me of that story by Henry Gates or whoever where he laughs at some academic who was pushing the idea of race being "a trope," saying that yeah, he (Gates) can imagine standing on a street corner waving his arms at all the cabs that won't stop for him, yelling "No, you don't understand--it's just a trope!"

The fact that this stuff doesn't matter to everyone everywhere has no bearing whatsoever on its currency right here, and while there's definitely an argument to be made against these kinds of threads, I know you know that "Hey, four figures ain't shit!" is not that argument. C'mon, son.

james said:
    Rockadelic said:
    james said:

Well, I guess it depends what you mean by "worth." If you mean people's sense of what a record will sell for, then yeah, a consensus of worth probably wouldn't be too hard to reach among those decently familiar with the market. If, however, you mean people's sense of a record's inherent value in relation to its market price, then I don't think there can be any real consensus.

If there does seem to be more unanimity in the psych/rock world, I suspect that it might be because that school of collecting has been around long enough and has been codified enough that the disparity has shrunk closer to the point where the market becomes the taste. The crate-digging school of collecting--which, vigorously as some may front, remains the absolute engine behind soulstrut--is definitely getting to that point, too, but is for the moment just young enough that a big slice of its constituency can still say "fuck your heroes" with a straight face.

But yeah, I assumed that here you were talking about the latter, more ephemeral definition of "worth," since I took this thread as an extension of your points in the Black Out thread, which seemed based more on the inherent value idea. Over there, you seemed rueful that folks could not grasp the abstract worthiness of stuff like Black Out and the Soulettes (for what it's worth, I was kinda shaking my head, too).

Maybe I read you and this thread wrong, though. If you were in fact asking whether there are records that soulstrut can agree would sell for four figures, then I'd like to change my answer to "Yeah, probably."

I think in the world of collectibles an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay......and when establishing a "value" you have to throw out the high and low of any multiple sampling of sales of the same item. Just because one nut is willing to pay an outrageous amount for an item, that doesn't establish that item's worth(unless it's "one-of-a-kind" item).

I completely understand having the opinion that no piece of plastic containing music being intrinsically "worth" four figures. But if that is your stance, it pretty much eliminates you from the discussion of what may or may not be "worth" four figures.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    There's several records I would drop 4 figures on BUT I'd have to have a lot of disposable money to even consider dropping that much on a piece of vinyl. If I had $1100 I wouldn't drop 1000 of it on 1 record though. But if I was to do that it wouldn't be because everyone else is doing it. I'd have to really like that record.

Like someone said earlier, If a record is too much for you just put it aside and hopefully it'll come back around. I've found crazy raers / grails over the yrs for next to nothing. If you're a digger, DIG. If you're rich, STOP PLAYING WITH RECORDS and Go buy yourself a damn house.

james said:
    mannybolone said:
    Arguing over whether a record is worth "four figures" is laughable to other markets where loot like that is small time.
    Oh, so we don't need to talk about records and money, then? Ever? Cool.

Seriously, no offense, dude, but your post reminds me of that story by Henry Gates or whoever where he laughs at some academic who was pushing the idea of race being "a trope," saying that yeah, he (Gates) can imagine standing on a street corner waving his arms at all the cabs that won't stop for him, yelling "No, you don't understand--it's just a trope!"

The fact that this stuff doesn't matter to everyone everywhere has no bearing whatsoever on its currency right here, and while there's definitely an argument to be made against these kinds of threads, I know you know that "Hey, four figures ain't shit!" is not that argument. C'mon, son.

The point in noting the pricing differences in different schools of collecting is the dollar value is ultimately arbitrary. My point - perhaps poorly stated - wasn't that we can't argue over whether a record is or isn't "worth" 4 digits. It's that the idea - circulated by some in this thread - that no record could EVER be worth that much.

I'm all for arguing over relative worth but I have little patience with absolutes that suggest there's a price ceiling that can't be crossed.

• Horseleech said:
    djmario said:
    Horseleech said:

O'Seis 7"

Yeah, there was somebody walking around at WFMU who was selling them - was it done in Brazil or the U.S?

I'm not sure. If I we're to guess, I'd say in Brazil. It's the type of record that seems to appeal to the internal market there far more than outside (except for "international psych" collectors).

b/w

I'm trying to move a Verocai on behalf of a collector, considering it's deemed to be a 4 figure record based on previous sales (both public & private), it's surprisingly difficult to do!

• Finding a record worth $1000 is exciting, but I wouldn't ever be able to keep it for myself. I'd be too nervous to even put it on and listen to it! What do people who own $1000 dollar records do with them other than put them in a really safe place?

• vintageinfants said:
    i can't wait until a strutteur shows up on pawn stars trying to hock a verocai, and they need to call another strutteur to appraise it's value.

When is there going to be an "American Pickers" type show for Diggers?