hustle & flow

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

HAHAHAHHAA

I have no idea though, I'm waiting for Hustle and Flow to show up on VH1 Movies that Rock, hahaha.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

HAHAHAHHAA

hahahahaha...?

sorry that was totally lost on me - this is the only board i'm on.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ok - so if i hated crash, never saw best man, thought batman was amazing, think fame is actually a very good movie, loved sid and nancy and think flashdance is only OK - will i like hustle and flow?

you just broke the middle of my upper skull.

wasted work day update:[/b] SO I searched around and I can't find the bar. I know its gotta be here somewhere cause they gave me a flyer that says we have free taxi vouchers for tonight and the event is co-sponsered by Sam Adams.

The weed in my system is getting lonely

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

HAHAHAHHAA

I have no idea though, I'm waiting for Hustle and Flow to show up on VH1 Movies that Rock, hahaha.

same with

ok - so if i hated crash, never saw best man, thought batman was amazing, think fame is actually a very good movie, loved sid and nancy and think flashdance is only OK - will i like hustle and flow?

you just broke the middle of my upper skill.

another for me...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I can't speel.

replace skill with skull and you see where I'm coming from.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    skinny white dude who just wants to get high as the beatmaker = genius.

See, the inclusion of token white characters in a movie like this always annoys me. Why are they there? To draw in a white audience that is not otherwise interested in the subject matter? Can anybody imagine a white person seeing a preview and saying "I have no inherent interest in watching a movie about a black pimp with rapper fantasies, but I see this film has two white characters in it--lemme check that out!" Listening to the white producer kid was painful, especially the part where he explained to the audience that the word "bitch" could pertain to both men and women, or proclaimed that "Every MAYAN hahs the raht tuh drahp a verse!"

I think you might be over analyzing this a bit because if you were to just watch the ads for the movie I think the white hoe is the only one shown and then it's just her looking out the car window looking lost.

I can't speel.

replace skill with skull and you see where I'm coming from.

i'm beginning to feel real dumb....i broke your nose?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

See, the inclusion of token white characters in a movie like this always annoys me. Why are they there? To draw in a white audience that is not otherwise interested in the subject matter? Can anybody imagine a white person seeing a preview and saying "I have no inherent interest in watching a movie about a black pimp with rapper fantasies, but I see this film has two white characters in it--lemme check that out!" Listening to the white producer kid was painful, especially the part where he explained to the audience that the word "bitch" could pertain to both men and women, or proclaimed that "Every MAYAN hahs the raht tuh drahp a verse!"

I think you might be over analyzing this a bit because if you were to just watch the ads for the movie I think the white hoe is the only one shown and then it's just her looking out the car window looking lost.

The white producer figured prominently in the theatrical trailers.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Guess I didn't see that. I've only seen the TV ads.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

So I just took a second look at this and it got me to wondering. Are you saying this would of been a better film if it were "blacks only". In other words are you imagining a rap world in which it really is only black people? Is that really "authentic"?

• skinny white dude who just wants to get high as the beatmaker = genius.

So what? That shit was a) entirely accurate and b) entirely calculated to ensure that white kids producing for Black rappers feel loved by this movie.

What is the problem with that.

You act like this is an art film or documentary made to chronicle Black life in Memphis, not a commercial vehicle designed to make money

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

So what? That shit was a) entirely accurate and b) entirely calculated to ensure that white kids producing for Black rappers feel loved by this movie.

You act like this is an art film or documentary made to chronicle Black life in Memphis, not a commercial vehicle designed to make money

Please. I don't have any kind of investment in this movie and I didn't go to see it with the expectation that it was going to be some sort of social document.

I just thought that the character was gratuitous. Have you seen the movie?

I haven't expressed my "problem" with the character as anything beyond mild annoyance. You act like I'm calling for a boycott of the film or decrying it for its lack of authenticity, and authenticity hasn't even figured into my critique.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i wish people will judge it for what it is : A POTENTIAL MONEY MAKING MACHINE. It has no purpose but to make money, and eventually spread a particular vision of a particular event. As a film, this shit was a fart. Camera angles, scenario, lightning, everything. It was a disappointment. Spike Lee, where you at.
    Shit was good to go for Television. A B Comedy with some good azz performances from a couple of actors. That's it.

swoooop that meat, stomp that Knick, rump that chick, WHOOOOOP THAT TRICK!!!

ps : i feel like this movie is made for industry-insiders...lol.

about that specially...
    i lived in Ivory Coast (West Africa) and i worked there...i was in studio most of the time. fucked up condition. Besides me, NO whites. It was a Black World. When i was in the bathroom, it was nothing but Blacks. So WHAT DO YOU THINK??? Is it that hard for you to imagine a place where it's "blacks-only"??? There's nothing wrong with that. It's an old white people fear, that's it...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    about that specially...
    i lived in Ivory Coast (West Africa) and i worked there...i was in studio most of the time. fucked up condition. Besides me, NO whites. It was a Black World. When i was in the bathroom, it was nothing but Blacks. So WHAT DO YOU THINK??? Is it that hard for you to imagine a place where it's "blacks-only"??? There's nothing wrong with that. It's an old white people fear, that's it...

whoa calm down globetrotter,

The Ivory coast and the United States south are 2 very very different places. Yeah you've been to Africa but have you been to Tennessee? I don't think I'd ever call them anything similar.

By the way do you usually count the black people in public bathrooms? I've often thought of doing a negro head count while standing at the urinal, but my old white people fear got the best of me.

• skinny white dude who just wants to get high as the beatmaker = genius.

Please. I don't have any kind of investment in this movie and I didn't go to see it with the expectation that it was going to be some sort of social document.

I haven't expressed my "problem" with the character as anything beyond mild annoyance. You act like I'm calling for a boycott of the film or decrying it for its lack of authenticity, and authenticity hasn't even figured into my critique.

ADMIT IT. YOU ARE MILDLY ANNOYED BY WHITE CHARACTERS IN A BLACK WORLD!!!

I have not seen this movie.

TO BUSY WITH THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF URSHER.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

damn, you gonna take that man?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

no self respecting black man would let that shit stand

• ADMIT IT. YOU ARE MILDLY ANNOYED BY WHITE CHARACTERS IN A BLACK WORLD!!!

This agression will not stand, man.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This agression will not stand, man.

Johnny, you are OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i wish people will judge it for what it is : A POTENTIAL MONEY MAKING MACHINE. It has no purpose but to make money, and eventually spread a particular vision of a particular event. As a film, this shit was a fart. Camera angles, scenario, lightning, everything. It was a disappointment. Spike Lee, where you at.
    Shit was good to go for Television. A B Comedy with some good azz performances from a couple of actors. That's it.

not really...
    singleton and especially the director, craig brewer, actually tried to make this a quality film. they're both passionate filmmakers and i definitely don't think this movie was completely driven by commercial interests.
    this wasn't in any way a commercial film - a black dude going thru a mid-life crisis pimping a strung out white chick and trying to make it in the rap game... i bet studio heads were foaming at the mouth.

• i wish people will judge it for what it is : A POTENTIAL MONEY MAKING MACHINE. It has no purpose but to make money, and eventually spread a particular vision of a particular event. As a film, this shit was a fart. Camera angles, scenario, lightning, everything. It was a disappointment. Spike Lee, where you at.

not really...
    singleton and especially the director, craig brewer, actually tried to make this a quality film. they're both passionate filmmakers and i definitely don't think this movie was completely driven by commercial interests.
    this wasn't in any way a commercial film - a black dude going thru a mid-life crisis pimping a strung out white chick and trying to make it in the rap game... i bet studio heads were foaming at the mouth.

let me guess, you dont work in advertising?

Quality???

Oh Lord where are thou?

Yea Singleton is a good dood doing good deeds...

And the movie maker is not trying to make money and fame, your right. Sorry. I tought Hollywood was a heartless machine. My bad.

damn you stupid...i know diggin do not breed smart guys, but yo, step up ur game.

When i said "in the bathroom", it was a figure of speech. My broken english don't help, granted, i was meaning something else. Like if i was in the bathroom taking a piss, there was no white people left.

But your country/jewish azz cannot dig that, because what i'm talking about is a FANTASY for you. That's why you waste your time on those movies when i just forget it the day after i've seen it.

ps : wifey got fam in Texas. Pretty much the same as Tenesee i guess. If not, pardon my ignorance. But as far as the difference between US and Africa, i got it covered. Meet me in Chicago around a family diner and i'll explain you. I'm really not being aggressive with you bee, but y'all jewish/whites are getting out of the line sometimes. RESPECT people damit. Opinions may be like assholes : stinky !

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Ermmm...where is that 5 pager graemlin again?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    diggin do not breed smart guys

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I like this movie as a movie. If you disagree with my opinion you are a hater and I don't have time for you.

• diggin do not breed smart guys

My new loc....

• Please. I don't have any kind of investment in this movie and I didn't go to see it with the expectation that it was going to be some sort of social document.

This reply would have been greatly enhanced by the inclusion of a "not for nothin'."