hustle & flow

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited August 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
bought a bootleg and watched this the other day. turrrible. whats the soulstrut concensus?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    skinny white dude who just wants to get high as the beatmaker = genius.

• it's like watching a two hour-long fart.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    it's like watching a two hour-long fart.
    mike, i just started cracking up, and all these folls were staring at me.

yeah the token geeky white producer and slutty white trash whore had me a bit defensive.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I celebrate DJ Qualls entire catalog

I celebrate DJ Qualls entire catalog

dj qualls is a dog
    one you do not trust

you leave yo green around him, ninja, yo green gon get lit up

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

See, the inclusion of token white characters in a movie like this always annoys me. Why are they there? To draw in a white audience that is not otherwise interested in the subject matter? Can anybody imagine a white person seeing a preview and saying "I have no inherent interest in watching a movie about a black pimp with rapper fantasies, but I see this film has two white characters in it--lemme check that out!" Listening to the white producer kid was painful, especially the part where he explained to the audience that the word "bitch" could pertain to both men and women, or proclaimed that "Every MAYAN hahs the raht tuh drahp a verse!"

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    An oft-neglected right.

This movie is important because it brings awareness to this long-forgotten right.

I salute DJ Qualls for his courage (and his mastery of BEV).

• has dj qualls ever played a character in a movie other than a dorky white guy who becomes cool by hanging out with black people?

there is no graemlin to express my feelings towards this movie. only thing worse so far this year was 'last days."

See, the inclusion of token white characters in a movie like this always annoys me. Why are they there? To draw in a white audience that is not otherwise interested in the subject matter? Can anybody imagine a white person seeing a preview and saying "I have no inherent interest in watching a movie about a black pimp with rapper fantasies, but I see this film has two white characters in it--lemme check that out!" Listening to the white producer kid was painful, especially the part where he explained to the audience that the word "bitch" could pertain to both men and women, or proclaimed that "Every MAYAN hahs the raht tuh drahp a verse!"

are you kidding? I hear stoned white kids with beats say shit like that all the time. dude was not a token character, he was one of the more realistic things about the movie.

since when do you need white characters to get white people to see a movie filled with black people? especially when it's about a pimp and stars Ludacris?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    You're right about white kids acting like DJ Qualls; you're wrong about him being necessary to the film.

since when do you need white characters to get white people to see a movie filled with black people? especially when it's about a pimp and stars Ludacris?

That's what I'm asking.

I saw his presence as forced, and if it was intended to help market the film, as unnecessary.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    jeez - i was so looking forward to 90min+ of Mr. Howard. i guess i'll skip this one and just wait for Four Brothers...i hope his whole career won't be a case of great actor-terrible movies. his acting was so good in Crash, but that movie stank.

That's what I'm asking.

I saw his presence as forced, and if it was intended to help market the film, as unnecessary.

You're right about white kids acting like DJ Qualls; you're wrong about him being necessary to the film.

nah I agree...he wasn't necessary at all. but he was accurate.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I liked the movie but I'm not any sort of movie critic or anything. WHOOP THAT TRICK GET EM

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I liked the movie but I'm not any sort of movie critic or anything. WHOOP THAT TRICK GET EM

i wish they woulda kept "Beat that Bitch!"

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i feel like everyone's taking this movie too seriously. i enjoyed the flick a lot, because i could laugh at the absurd wannabe emotional scenes and didn't get too caught up in, "is that skinny dorky white kid believable? should i be offended? is the whole pimp-with-a-heart character corny as fuck?"

by the way, i saw that white ho last night in a club looking foine

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I feel that Faux_Rills, speaking as a black man, is offended at how they painted the white guy as neccasary to help his career. Yet another white man trying to hold proud black pimps down.

I wish I could say I relate but I have never been a black man. Faux is actually the closest I've gotten to hearing what the true black perspective on cinema is.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I feel that Faux_Rills, speaking as a black man, is offended at how they painted the white guy as neccasary to help his career. Yet another white man trying to hold proud black pimps down.

I wish I could say I relate but I have never been a black man. Faux is actually the closest I've gotten to hearing what the true black perspective on cinema is.

great observation...so Adam when do you start partying at work today?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

See, the inclusion of token white characters in a movie like this always annoys me.

Well Hustle and Flow was WRITTEN AND DIRECTED by a white guy named Craig Brewer. LOL. I'm not sure how many are aware of that. I know a few black critics are basically shitting on Singleton for that fact. They're saying how can it be a "black movie" if the director and writter are "white"

Singleton's response/defense was;

"That guy's got so much soul. More soul than a lot of brothers out here. What is a black film? Is an Eddie Murphy film a black film. People all over the planet are fascinated with black culture. Black culture is pop culture."

I can't call it. I just thought Hustle and Flow was GARBAGE.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Black culture is pop culture.

knowledge DROPPED. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

great observation...so Adam when do you start partying at work today?

Drove in late today, fuck it its party day like they are going to care), haven't foud the open bar, but I am betting its either in the lobby or outside. I see the breakfast tables set up and the stage with fake palm trees out in the courtyard was getting me giddy. I got a bowl of weed in my pocket and timing is everything.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I can't call it.

Singleton's response/defense was;

"That guy's got so much soul. More soul than a lot of brothers out here. What is a black film? Is an Eddie Murphy film a black film. People all over the planet are fascinated with black culture. "

great...another idoit

I got a bowl of weed in my pocket.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    save your money and go see 2046. won't have to worry about no forced crackers.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I got a bowl of weed in my pocket.
    LOL!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    jeez - i was so looking forward to 90min+ of Mr. Howard. i guess i'll skip this one and just wait for Four Brothers...i hope his whole career won't be a case of great actor-terrible movies. his acting was so good in Crash, but that movie stank.

I was just watching 'the Best Man' on cable the other day(first time I had re-watched since I saw it in the theatre), and he made a real impression in that flick. I remember at the time thinking that his role in the Best Man was gonna blow him up, but nothing really happened, Morris Chestnut and Taye Diggs seemed to get all the press and roles. So go figure.

Oh, and NO white people in 'the Best Man'.

I was just watching 'the Best Man' on cable the other day(first time I had re-watched since I saw it in the theatre), and he made a real impression in that flick. I remember at the time thinking that his role in the Best Man was gonna blow him up, but nothing really happened, Morris Chestnut and Taye Diggs seemed to get all the press and roles. So go figure.

Oh, and NO white people in 'the Best Man'.

well I can axe that from my netflix queue and put "you've got mail" back on.

See, the inclusion of token white characters in a movie like this always annoys me.

Well Hustle and Flow was WRITTEN AND DIRECTED by a white guy named Craig Brewer. LOL. I'm not sure how many are aware of that.

Not a secret--it's been mentioned in pretty much every review that I've read.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ok - so if i hated crash, never saw best man, thought batman was amazing, think fame is actually a very good movie, loved sid and nancy and think flashdance is only OK - will i like hustle and flow?