Rap about the rapping rapper, his raps, other rappers and rap in general.

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Has to be best & most popular topic in hip hop.

Im partial to the crazy, random, free train of thought type flows. Fuck a stale concept.

add more highlights

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Im partial to the crazy, random, free train of thought type flows. Fuck a stale concept.
    Not to rain on any parades, but free-associative rapping about whatever comes to mind at the moment is possibly thee single oldest concept in rap. Keith Cowboy rapping about his clothing measurements and shit.

The one Jonny_Paycheck has been particularly eloquent and outspoken on what he thinks is the less-than-stellar modern legacy of rappers rapping about rap (particularly post-Stakes Is High). I don'y necessarily share that entire viewpoint, but I think this thread might benefit from his speaking on it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Don't waste a song complaining about other rappers. Just make a song better than those made by other rappers. That's how you dead them.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like Rap 'Bout Rap Rap??.

Someone has to comment on the fake industry, bad artistry, dwindling venues, white audiences, and recoupment.

Public Enemy - Caught Can I Get A Witness was an early Sample-Critique song, that wasnt about sour old dudes or suburban kufi rappers talmbout the good old days of just 10 years ago.

But like any style it can get used too much.

Hip Hop Is Dead - NAS pretty much covered himself in his own peanut laden excrement. Peaked off.

Tim Dog - Pennecillin On Wax is Rap 'Bout Rap Rap?? . Keith has been commenting for years.

Best Style - I wont say that.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    james said:
    staxwax said:
    Not to rain on any parades, but free-associative rapping about whatever comes to mind at the moment is possibly thee single oldest concept in rap. Keith Cowboy rapping about his clothing measurements and shit.

The one Jonny_Paycheck has been particularly eloquent and outspoken on what he thinks is the less-than-stellar modern legacy of rappers rapping about rap (particularly post-Stakes Is High). I don'y necessarily share that entire viewpoint, but I think this thread might benefit from his speaking on it.

I have long hoped that the one Jonny Paycheck would speak further on the AAAGGGH I'M CRAZY I'M BUGGIN' YAAAAGGGHHH style of rap, once popular in the city we share.

I think i misread the thread.

• approx 50% of the population is women...

approx 50% of the population is men...

approx 0.03544% of the population is rappeurs...

so why not rap to the real audience?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    novocaine132 said:

White suburbanites?

• novocaine132 said:
    approx 50% of the population is women...

approx 50% of the population is men...

approx 0.03544% of the population is rappeurs...

Where's the logic here? Just-Ice's "Latoya" is only for women, and "I Used to Love H.E.R." is only for rappers?

Rap 'Bout Rap Rap?? = Do u even party?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rappers don't rap about rap anymore?

Really?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    james said:
    staxwax said:

I have long hoped that the one Jonny Paycheck would speak further on the AAAGGGH I'M CRAZY I'M BUGGIN' YAAAAGGGHHH style of rap, once popular in the city we share.

No doubt. Put him on a panel with C Rayz Walz and King Just. Halfway through, watch the color drain from their faces when Busta comes from backstage brandishing a folding chair. Shit would be gold.

GoOoOoOoLlLLlDdDdD!!!!!!!!!!!!

james said:
    faux_rillz said:
    james said:
    staxwax said:

No doubt. Put him on a panel with C Rayz Walz and King Just. Halfway through, watch the color drain from their faces when Busta comes from backstage brandishing a folding chair. Shit would be gold.

6:56

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    james said:
    faux_rillz said:
    james said:
    staxwax said:

"Listen, must we forget?
    I originated all that wild shit
    That raaaaaar raaaaaaar shit
    That jump-up-and-ready-to-fuck-shit-up-now shit"

DJ_Enki said:
    james said:
    faux_rillz said:
    james said:
    staxwax said:

"Listen, must we forget?
    I originated all that wild shit
    That raaaaaar raaaaaaar shit
    That jump-up-and-ready-to-fuck-shit-up-now shit"

I never understood that claim.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    who was the earliest 'bugged' rappuer? was it funkmaster wiz?

• yeah, and blues guys should quit singing about sad stuff too!

• hertzhog said:

Where's the logic here? Just-Ice's "Latoya" is only for women, and "I Used to Love H.E.R." is only for rappers?

put it this way...

a substantial number of ll cool j joints just don't click.
    because i'm a dude, usually he isn't rapping to me...

the two tracks you mentioned are both directed to all listeners.
    first person narration...
    especially common's joint.
    it's about his journey as a listener, not a rap to other rappers...

not sayin a listener can't enjoy a track that is directed to a specific audience.
    one of my favorite keith tracks is fine girls, which is specifically aimed at females...

many rapps are just to other rappers, certainly
    when the cat on the mic tells me that i can't sell as many albums as he can,
    i just have to pause,
    yes, he's right.
    i've never sold a single album,
    because, ahem,
    not a rapper...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    How about whole albums about "wack MCs"?

• novocaine132 said:
    put it this way...

This argument against LL never made sense to me.

Couldn't one relate to LL's songs on a 1st-person basis? Likewise, when he is bragging (e.g. about the boomin' system), you brag along with him.

• CinisterCee said:
    novocaine132 said:
    put it this way...

This argument against LL never made sense to me.

Couldn't one relate to LL's songs on a 1st-person basis? Likewise, when he is bragging (e.g. about the boomin' system), you brag along with him.

the boomin system >>> i'm checking

doin it >>> not so much