The Next Generation of Grails.

13»

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This record has been gaining some steam this past year. It isn't hitting extremely high prices yet but, imo, give it a little more time and it's gonna be up there. And from what I've heard of it, it is pretty dope.

• Rockadelic said:
    Burns said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

Well that paid for Rocks diggin vacation round' the southeast and then some.

I found two copies, handed one to my brother and told him that would cover gas money.

When the trip was all said and done....9 days....3,000 miles...gas money ....rental car.......airline ticket to ATL........meals.....hotels.....and the records I bought I spent about $3,400.....my brother probably spent around $2,500 simply because I bought a lot more vinyl than he did.

Granted, we don't stay at Motel 6 or eat at MickeyD's.

EOU probably paid all his expenses less the records he bought.

did you get them for under $10?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Breez said:
    This record has been gaining some steam this past year. It isn't hitting extremely high prices yet but, imo, give it a little more time and it's gonna be up there. And from what I've heard of it, it is pretty dope.

There was a goodly amount of quantity on it about 2 years ago that I think has all but dried up. Awesome record.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    hcrink said:
    Breez said:

There was a goodly amount of quantity on it about 2 years ago that I think has all but dried up. Awesome record.

This record must have gotten discovered in the diggin community within the last yr or 2. All the copies listed on popsike are from 2010.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, it was a guy on Waxidermy.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This really took a dive, considering the numbers it was fetching just 2-3 months ago.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Breez said:
    This really took a dive, considering the numbers it was fetching just 2-3 months ago.

Considering the LP sold was VG-, that price is ridiculously high.

Best believe, if it was Spelunk moving a NM copy? Altogether different story.

• that ron forella was a vg-

• The next generation of grails is musically pretty weak, IMO. As long as it's homemade-looking.

I do like the Donnie & Joe... but a lot of the newly minted "Hot Collectro Items" when compared to some of the stuff they're replacing... I don't know man. People just buying shit cause they don't have it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The next generation of grails is musically pretty weak, IMO. As long as it's homemade-looking...

BONG

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The next generation of grails is musically pretty weak, IMO. As long as it's homemade-looking.

I do like the Donnie & Joe... but a lot of the newly minted "Hot Collectro Items" when compared to some of the stuff they're replacing... I don't know man. People just buying shit cause they don't have it.

Wait, how is this really that different from previous eras?

I think if you're talking about grails WITHIN a given genre - soul, for example - it's going to be hard to "discover" new grails that are going to be better than what have already been known about, especially something that will compete on production.

But grails across genres? Wouldn't today's African grails be richer than the were, say, 10 years ago?

• The same principle follows - people were looking for Frimpong 10 years ago for instance, but most of its peers in value and desirability don't match up.

It just annoys me that really good records don't catch the value of something that is rather tepid, just because it's new or different

I know, I sound old. Get off my lawn.

• id be interested in hearing a story on the donnie and joe discovery. anybody?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In my experience there are 3-4 different levels of "grails" based on price ranges.

There are only "X" amount of people willing to spend four figures on an LP.

If something shows up in a small quantity it may be able to hold that value.

If the same record shows up in massive quantities it will be knocked down a level or two on the supply and demand tip.

This is why many dealers refuse to disclose how many copies of something they are sitting on.

For instance I recently "discovered" a record that brought $300+ on ebay.

I felt I had more copies(50) than people who would pay that price so I blew them out at $50 on Waxidermy.

At least one dealer told me that was foolish and that I should have sat on them and extracted every last penny I could.

It's a good record...it will hold a $100 value....so (almost) everyone wins.

When a dealer is sitting on all the copies they can pretty much dictate the price....and it is true that some collectors are at a level where the unknown, newly discovered record is more desirable than the classic long-term "grail" ......although I think this is more true in the rock/folk genres than soul/funk for reasons ODub mentioned above.

The grail of the future hasn't been discovered yet.

• rock, what was the record?

I'm curious, from the vets of the old Roosevelt shows or the like: what were considered grails in, say, the mid-1990s?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    rock, what was the record?

Xian rock LP from Oklahoma called Homecoming

Here's a sip....all sold out.
    http://www.divshare.com/download/10400236-795

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    id be interested in hearing a story on the donnie and joe discovery. anybody?

Major Cosign. If anyone has any (re)discovery stories on any grails/ raers I'd love to hear (read) them.

• Breez said:
    tripledouble said:
    id be interested in hearing a story on the donnie and joe discovery. anybody?

Major Cosign. If anyone has any (re)discovery stories on any grails/ raers I'd love to hear (read) them.

give us the diggerpron

• Rockadelic said:
    tripledouble said:
    rock, what was the record?

Xian rock LP from Oklahoma called Homecoming

Here's a sip....all sold out.
    http://www.divshare.com/download/10400236-795

thanks rock