"Handicap" kids rock!!!!!!

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Just did a wedding last night. The bride wanted a lot of hip hop but the crowd wasn't havin' it so real quick I switched to a full on funk/reagge set and the place went bannanas. It was basically 1/3 Hawiian 1/3 Native American and 1/3 "White". "I'm King Kalanalanawea" by the Turtles was a big hit with the Hawiians.ANyhow the highlight of my night was that the second I started a 7-8 year old boy started rocking his head with the beat and didn't stop for 4 hours. The catch.....he's confined to a wheelchair with major nevrous system disablities that don't even allow him to talk. As soon as he started rocking his mom put him right next to the speaker and started telling me how much he loves music and the louder the better. She said his favorite was reagge and you caould tell he was really happy. I couldn't believe the way he head nodded all freaking night. Almost the whole time he was by the speaker and he really inspired me.It was really moving and made me feel good. I'm not saying I'm a saint...I had no idea that he would even be there. Point is....if you ever have a chance to play for handicap kids of any capasity DO IT!!! They will love you for your efforts!My high school band played a dance for free for some "special" kids and they boggied the whole night and treated us like rock stars! It was great! No matter what people just want to be treated equal and when you give them a chance the happiness just takes over.Sorry if this is a little sappy, but I'm still on a bit of a high from the whole night.

Comments

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I'm waiting for somebody to get upset about this but I think it's a real sweet story and you're right to be inspired by anyone who doesn't take the jams for granted.

I was hoping this was a thread about good records by / related to handicaped kids. I'm still looking for this one.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Hawaiian.

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts
    Yea, reads akward but I understand what he's trying to say. Some thugs might misinterpret.Props to you.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i dont see how anyone could missinterpret this unless they were tryin to. really nice story man. inspiring

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Ever read the back of Montgomery Express..?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Hawaiian.

Hawai'ian. [ha--va--ian]

You on Big Islands, right? What's the cheapest flight from San Francisco to Honolulu these days? I might want to go to Hawai'i to meet some old friends. How much is it to fly from O'ahu to Big Island?

Please excuse the hi-jacking!

The story is nice. My girlfriend was the baby-sitter for a disabled kid during high school. Sometimes, I've been visiting my girlfriend while she was babysitting. The kid had lots of instruments and he loved to hear percussion. He wasn't able to play himself. But he was smiling and head-nodding when listening.

• That's a really nice story. Try to play cool music for kids in general (not just handicapped kids). We've always made a point to avoid a lot of the obvious "kids" music around Miles, and try to play as much good stuff as possible. I like to play new 45s on the GP3 while I feed him sometimes. He's rockin' in his high chair.
    While the other kids are reppin' Barney, he'll be doing the Hook and Sling...

• on a related note..I saw a clip off of the Surreal Life where that older model stupid bitch lady was clowning some "special" kids at a bowling alley. Classy!

• I'm doing the Japan teaching gig, and I did a DJ class for a bunch of my handicapped jr. high students. It was a trip... I got it on video. They dug it, and everyone even took turns rocking the mic. I let everyone come up and scratch... shit destroyed my needles, but it was worth it. Same thing... a few of the kids had their ears pressed to the speaker, beaming with smiles. Lots of jumping around and dancing...

BTW, wasn't my idea, but the teacher was doing a small unit on hiphop for the kids, and asked if I'd bring my turntables... I'm glad I agreed.

It was wierd, because I thought it would freak more kids out... the sounds can be abrasive. But only one girl covered her ears, but she does that all the time, even when people are just talking... A few of the kids that usual have behaviorial problems, and run and jump and scream, really got chilled out listening to the hip-hop beats... and just chilled and watched.

Peace...

FNM

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    That's a really nice story. Try to play cool music for kids in general (not just handicapped kids). We've always made a point to avoid a lot of the obvious "kids" music around Miles, and try to play as much good stuff as possible. I like to play new 45s on the GP3 while I feed him sometimes. He's rockin' in his high chair.
    While the other kids are reppin' Barney, he'll be doing the Hook and Sling...

My son is 1 year 2 months old. Everytime I play DJ Shadow's "Walkie Talkie" the little guy goes crazy!!! You can easily tell he's feelin it! He loves the line "I'm a badass mothefucker DJ" which he sings in his own language. His mom and I can't stop laughing as we watch. Ahhhhhh, family life. Am I getting too old???

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Yea, reads akward but I understand what he's trying to say. Some thugs might misinterpret.Props to you.
    ]

That shit doesnt read awkward at all. Re-read that shit. Gimme a break. Muthafuckas need some

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "I'm King Kalanalanawea" by the Turtles
    I always thought it was "Chief kamoniwannalaya" (Come on, I want to lay you)

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    "I'm King Kalanalanawea" by the Turtles
    I always thought it was "Chief kamoniwannalaya" (Come on, I want to lay you)

you are right

• My son is 1 year 2 months old. Everytime I play DJ Shadow's "Walkie Talkie" the little guy goes crazy!!! You can easily tell he's feelin it! He loves the line "I'm a badass mothefucker DJ" which he sings in his own language. His mom and I can't stop laughing as we watch. Ahhhhhh, family life. Am I getting too old???

My son is exactly that age. He instantly reacts to music with his own little dances. He seems to be into everything. Only Galactic Supermarket and some other stretched out cosmic Kraut he doesn't dig (he's probably right). He just discovered how to rotate his little wrists and that gave us a good laugh yesterday when he threw that in as he danced to the Indian music that was on. I should get me a 8mm film camera.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Just did a wedding last night. The bride wanted a lot of hip hop but the crowd wasn't havin' it so real quick I switched to a full on funk/reagge set and the place went bannanas. It was basically 1/3 Hawiian 1/3 Native American and 1/3 "White". "I'm King Kalanalanawea" by the Turtles was a big hit with the Hawiians.

ANyhow the highlight of my night was that the second I started a 7-8 year old boy started rocking his head with the beat and didn't stop for 4 hours. The catch.....he's confined to a wheelchair with major nevrous system disablities that don't even allow him to talk. As soon as he started rocking his mom put him right next to the speaker and started telling me how much he loves music and the louder the better. She said his favorite was reagge and you caould tell he was really happy. I couldn't believe the way he head nodded all freaking night. Almost the whole time he was by the speaker and he really inspired me.

It was really moving and made me feel good. I'm not saying I'm a saint...I had no idea that he would even be there. Point is....if you ever have a chance to play for handicap kids of any capasity DO IT!!! They will love you for your efforts!

My high school band played a dance for free for some "special" kids and they boggied the whole night and treated us like rock stars! It was great! No matter what people just want to be treated equal and when you give them a chance the happiness just takes over.

Sorry if this is a little sappy, but I'm still on a bit of a high from the whole night.

That's a cool story. Music is for everyone to enjoy! I don't know if I've ever heard "I'm King Kalanalanawea". What kind of song is that?

h

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    My son is exactly that age. He instantly reacts to music with his own little dances. He seems to be into everything. Only Galactic Supermarket and some other stretched out cosmic Kraut he doesn't dig (he's probably right). He just discovered how to rotate his little wrists and that gave us a good laugh yesterday when he threw that in as he danced to the Indian music that was on. I should get me a 8mm film camera.
    Hey, is he obsessed with your records too? Mine loves to pull rekkids from the shelf. I never thought I would let another human being to touch my raers...

• He browses through them very carefully. I didn't even put raers on higher shelves. I don't know all about his moral system, but it's definatly "black shiny discs good!"

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    on a related note..I saw a clip off of the Surreal Life where that older model stupid bitch lady was clowning some "special" kids at a bowling alley. Classy!
    I saw that shit. Made me wanna get up and bitch slap my television. Couldn't believe that behaviour.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    He browses through them very carefully. I didn't even put raers on higher shelves. I don't know all about his moral system, but it's definatly "black shiny discs good!"

My 20 month old daughter hands me records to play off the shelf, although sometimes I have to slow her down. She really loves music. As soon as she hears something she starts this little dance where she shakes side to side and twists her little wrists all around. She always wants to wear my headphones too. As soon as I put them on she starts bobbing her head...man parenthood is fun!