Octoberfinds

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    It's odd -- I feel like only in the past year have people been regularly posting stuff they've been finding (from across the country) that many of happen to be in the $200+ range.

Perhaps those finding such records 2+ years ago weren't taking pictures and posting?

But a Philip Cohran isn't something you just come across. Nor are many of the finds that have been popping up in here.

Bottom line though, mazel to all.

Personally, i only post pics when my finds were really special. So that would be about once a year. That being said, i still have to put in a lot of time and energy to dig them out.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    quality stuff Karlophone

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    karlophone said:
    Woimsah said:
    It's odd -- I feel like only in the past year have people been regularly posting stuff they've been finding (from across the country) that many of happen to be in the $200+ range.

Perhaps those finding such records 2+ years ago weren't taking pictures and posting?

But a Philip Cohran isn't something you just come across. Nor are many of the finds that have been popping up in here.

Bottom line though, mazel to all.

i dunno. i can only speak personally, 75+% of my finds are due to several old school friends who do a ton of house clean outs and estate sales, they get me in to look at the records, old books, toys and comics before its gets sorted for sale. ive known them for so long and have done them all numerous solids over the years so theyd rather i get first crack. i have been happily at their mercy for years now. sometimes it sucks but when its good its great. When something like the Cohran pops up i can only imagine it came from an original owner who had real good taste.

Oh I didn't mean that there was anything suspicious about these finds, I meant it more like "props! that's certainly something that doesn't happen everyday!"

oh, i didnt take it like that, no worries. i mainly meant, in my own case, whats been coming my way has always been mostly pretty random for years, so when its extra good stuff, its usually due to the right source scoring and passing the opportunity on to me. I dont know if the community as a whole is finding better stuff recently or not, but i agree it feels like that sometimes.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

the bottom photo is of some thrift finds from tuesday, some of the others like the biz (thanks dj wubwub!) and assagai were from a while ago, but i just never got around to posting them

I really like that Johnny Otis LP

• leon said:

I want a copy of Rubinho E Mauro Assumpcao badly. How much did this copy set you back? Is it clean? Very nice scores all round!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    djmario said:
    leon said:

I want a copy of Rubinho E Mauro Assumpcao badly. How much did this copy set you back? Is it clean? Very nice scores all round!

It's in unplayed condition, and it set me back $12. I know, i know... These brazil finds were crazy, pulled one after another in this bookstore that all of a sudden sold someones records in the back of the place. Store owner didn't know a thing about them valuewise obviously. At some point i thought i was gonna pull the Verocai album but no.

• leon said:

It's in unplayed condition, and it set me back $12. I know, i know... These brazil finds were crazy, pulled one after another in this bookstore that all of a sudden sold someones records in the back of the place. Store owner didn't know a thing about them valuewise obviously. At some point i thought i was gonna pull the Verocai album but no.

Oh wow! it never turns up unplayed! If you ever want to flip it you know where I am :beerbang:

• Speaking of Pearly Queen...

DSC02753

and this Pearly Queen related 12" on the same label as the lp...Shufflin Tymes "King Kong Boogie" / "Star Trek"...this is a seriously heavy latin funk 12"...both sides are great...not really disco...

DSC02754

and sealed copies of Dellie Hoske, Eddy Noble and Their Natural Selves lp...this is a crazy rare private press lp with some funk cuts on it

DSC02755

this is just the tip of the iceberg...one of my greatest digging days ever! if anybody is interested in any of these hit me up because i'm looking to sell a few quickly to make back the money I spent...they aren't cheap but i'll give a nice price! PM me!

and here's the kicker...Pearly Queen iron-on!

DSC02756

• I have nothing compared to the other pulls in this thread but overall October has been a good month for trades.

^ and on a side note i picked this up sealed from a flea and was about to trade it in for few dollars at a store until i read the soulstrut review off of a last minute google search. It's a very solid repress or boot of Dizzie's soul jazz album, soul and salvation from 69.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    crazypoprock said:
    Speaking of Pearly Queen...

DSC02753

and this Pearly Queen related 12" on the same label as the lp...Shufflin Tymes "King Kong Boogie" / "Star Trek"...this is a seriously heavy latin funk 12"...both sides are great...not really disco...

DSC02754

and sealed copies of Dellie Hoske, Eddy Noble and Their Natural Selves lp...this is a crazy rare private press lp with some funk cuts on it

DSC02755

this is just the tip of the iceberg...one of my greatest digging days ever! if anybody is interested in any of these hit me up because i'm looking to sell a few quickly to make back the money I spent...they aren't cheap but i'll give a nice price! PM me!

DSC02756

wow. well - this is one of the crazier things I've ever seen.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    b/w Goddamnit
    b/w DIE

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Do you have sound clips for any of this stuff?

crazypoprock said:

DSC02753

DSC02754

DSC02755

DSC02756

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    holmes said:
    very nice. did you end up going back to that spot? any other decent korean stuff?

• llmod1 said:
    Do you have sound clips for any of this stuff?

I'll make some clips tomorrow!

crazypoprock said:

DSC02753

DSC02754

DSC02755

DSC02756

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

mattB said:
    very nice. did you end up going back to that spot? any other decent korean stuff?
    yeah, made it back, but nothing else exciting, just a bunch of pop & folk stuff.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Just got back from the Arbutus Record Show. I got everything shown for a little under $100.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    This weekend kicked off early with a Thurs night visit to a corporate party where Biz Markie was spinning. Stuck around long enough to hear his Mardi Gras routine. IT IS PANNED SERATO BITHCES. Left shortly after. Saturday night went to see THE DON OF ALL DONS, HATTER OF ALL HATTERS, THE LEGEND.

Hit some digspotz Saturday, did meh, not enough to justify getting up before 8am. But took a random route home and was reminded of a lockup I had been to a couple of years ago where owner opens up if the weather is nice. Got a couple of things and told him I would be back tomorrow to get in the other rooms. Glad I did. Walked out with 50 LPs/12s, 5 10s, and 200 45s. 2nd best Jamaican score evar.

Some highlights

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    those 45 and that marcia griffith :melt:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Austin finds. These are the things I will be filing. Bought some other shit to flip, too, but won't bore y'all with the overpriced chud.

Top three are NM, ralphy es sellado, and Sabor Cubano is a 2nd press but IDGAF its a killer LP:

Shleu Shleu and Les Dificiles are Top shelf Haitian LPs. Scherzando has some nice funk cuts on it:

I heart Alton Ellis:

This song is bangz

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    nice finds on a shitty wednesday morning

good 45 week

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    holmes said:
    good 45 week

Hard as Fuck!

yeah I'm curious as to how the rest of the LP stacks up now.............

• Sportscasual- those finds are awesome.

What's the condition like on the 45's?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Not bad really. Mostly VG+, a few of them Ex, and no skated unplayables to make me cry. Got 200+ in total, it's been a bit overwhelming. ;-P