The Next Generation of Grails.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

If I had it to do all over again I have no doubt I'd do it the same way....I put out records so people could hear them, not as some speculative long term investment....If I had, they'd probably be worthless and I'd have a closet full of shit.

And at least in the beginning they were "limited" because we weren't sure we could sell 300 copies!
    ha ha, i am definitely wary of the "closet of shit" outcome, good call.

crabmongerfunk said:
    the end of a dream...........

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    holmes said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

A great number of the 60's and 70's private press LP's never sold out.

I could write a book about the various ways that folks disposed of their "closet of shit"......only to have them be worth $$$ years down the road.

My favorite was the guy who used 100's of his 70's blues/rock LP as a "slip 'n slide" for his kids across the front lawn!

• Rockadelic said:
    holmes said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

A great number of the 60's and 70's private press LP's never sold out.

I could write a book about the various ways that folks disposed of their "closet of shit"......only to have them be worth $$$ years down the road.

My favorite was the guy who used 100's of his 70's blues/rock LP as a "slip 'n slide" for his kids across the front lawn!

Yeah, I was talking to James Goode of the Excels and he told me they frisbee'd a couple hundred copies of their 45 "Let's Dance" in a lake...but I suppose its things like that create it's super scarcity...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Thrown off a cliff

Used to measure the space between beams and then encased inside a wall.

Used for skeet shooting (2)

Traveling carnival used them for a baseball/record breaking game.

Lost in tornados (2)

The_Hook_Up said:

Yeah, I was talking to James Goode of the Excels and he told me they frisbee'd a couple hundred copies of their 45 "Let's Dance" in a lake...but I suppose its things like that create it's super scarcity...
    I like the infamous (in hardcore collecting circles) story of both colors (blue & red vinyl) of the Youth Of Today "Break Down The Walls" 12" on Wishing Well where they were nailed to a deck & then watched curl up in the california sun...... It is thought than at least 66% (200 copies) of the 300 pressed were destroyed.

Rockadelic said:

Used to measure the space between beams and then encased inside a wall.

thinking outside the square......

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    james said:
    Rockadelic said:
    The 90's saw a lot of "limited edition" releases.

They will be the next generation of grails.

Does that kind of manufactured rarity--the "Limited Edition!" shit--ever result in any real, deep grails, though?

Often the rares from 90s rock bands are the major label ones - which I usually didn't buy at the time because they WEREN'T trumpted as some colored-vinyl-ltd-to-whatever-type-shit but which actually got smallish pressings one time and that was that.

Of course, at least some of these have been repressed now because of the soaring interest...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Horseleech said:
    Reynaldo said:
    NM AFRICAN

No such thing.

Or so I have read.
    That's just what shiftless, mouserink-peddling record hucksters would have us believe. NO MORE. I want my African records NM!

Guess you'll have to start buying reissues then! LOL

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    musica said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Horseleech said:
    Reynaldo said:
    NM AFRICAN

No such thing.

Or so I have read.
    That's just what shiftless, mouserink-peddling record hucksters would have us believe. NO MORE. I want my African records NM!

Guess you'll have to start buying reissues then! LOL

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'll only buy reissues if they're brown cardboard with the pasted-on back like the new Fania ones. Anything less is doing it wrong.

• Thrown off a cliff
    Traveling carnival used them for a baseball/record breaking game./quote]

Unless this was/is a tradition in the south, I came across those guys
    at a flea market about 6 years ago in Shreveport, La. Had tons of empty
    lp covers, and quite a few rare titles.
    Heartbreaking.

• Reynaldo said:
    I'll only buy reissues if they're brown cardboard with the pasted-on back like the new Fania ones. Anything less is doing it wrong.

I haven't seen them, can you easily tell a reissue from the OG?

Garcia_Vega said:
    Reynaldo said:

I haven't seen them, can you easily tell a reissue from the OG?
    Yeah, the back has a bar code, codigo logo, and other differentiators.

Reynaldo said:

OG African records were virtually never manufactured this way.

• Isn't this all pretty much an exercise in supply and demand? Low supply, high demand - value. High supply low demand = ameoba bin.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Reynaldo said:

Weren't most African LP's just the paper thin covers?? All the ones I have or have had were that. I've never seen a cardboard, pasted back African LP cover.

Horseleech said:
    Reynaldo said:

That's one of the reasons why they've held up so poorly in general over time (not that there aren't NMs around), just as modern records with inferior construction will.

• High supply, waning demand. Dilla Frenzy slowing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

When was this ever a grail? Even at its high point, if you could get over $50 for it, that was remarkable. We're not talking about his "Better Days' LP after all.

Reynaldo said:
    Horseleech said:
    Reynaldo said:

That's one of the reasons why they've held up so poorly in general over time (not that there aren't NMs around), just as modern records with inferior construction will.

I can't agree with this. They were basically made the exact same way U.K. record sleeves were made and you don't see those falling apart. As much as dealers like to tell you otherwise, a mid 70's record on Nigeria EMI, for
    example, was a well made object, easily the equal of your average U.S. major label press from the same time.
    Columbia always used the paste on method you described, and their covers are absolute shit. Go ahead, try to find an actual NM cover for Kind Of Blue.

The reason African covers don't hold up is because of the climate, insects and poor treatment.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

Akarma catalog collectro revealed!

Reynaldo said:

If it's on Popsike it must be true!

b/w

I've literally trolled through hundreds of copies of KOB looking for a NM cover to pair with some NM copies of the record I have and have never found one without ringwear or other defects - including dozens still in the shrink. I'm sure they're out there, but they are damn scarce.

My point is that I have always been a little mystified by the hard-on some people have for paste-on covers. Sure, some of them are beautiful. especially if they are laminated, but this method was used because it was cheap, not because it was the best quality.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Horseleech said:

I can't agree with this. They were basically made the exact same way U.K. record sleeves were made and you don't see those falling apart.

I would say a good 1/3 if not more of the old-style UK sleeves I find are split open. They can be repaired easily, but still - those fold-over flap seams do not hold up over the years.

SoulOnIce said:
    Horseleech said:

I can't agree with this. They were basically made the exact same way U.K. record sleeves were made and you don't see those falling apart.

I would say a good 1/3 if not more of the old-style UK sleeves I find are split open. They can be repaired easily, but still - those fold-over flap seams do not hold up over the years.

Sure, but what percentage of old U.S. paste-ons do you find without splits?

Horseleech said:
    I'm sure they're out there, but they are damn scarce.
    This is precisely my position on NM African.