Gap logo redesign

Comments

• Gap jeans are great.

• Gap's great for basic sweaters (SF microclimate-related), but that's about all I shop there for these days. The jeans are OK, but I'm a dyed-in-the-denim Levi's dude.

And JP, congrats to the wifedog on landing a job there!

• Thanks. She is happy to be returning to the relative normalcy of corporate retail after living through the insanity of a high-end boutique label for the last couple years.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Does Baby Gap and Gap Kids still exist anymore?

• Is this even new? Maybe on the website, but this logo (sans the little square) has been screened onto their tagless t-shirts for months (where the tag would otherwise go) -- at least since the spring maybe longer. In their ads too. I rock their basic tees and noticed the change, but thought it looked fine on the shirt. It does look like some doo doo with that square and on a computer screen though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    Does Baby Gap and Gap Kids still exist anymore?

Not sure, but I think the whole doing adult clothes in kid sizes thing was so weird.
    Mommies and babies wearing the same outfits - oooh-kaye!
    I half blame skinny jeans for toddlers on the BabyGapKids.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Gap jeans are great.

Really?

I have some credit there that I have been unable to spend for about eight months.

I will investigate the jeans.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Who are the people with short torsos and long arms that they make their shirts for anyway?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Gap jeans are great.

Really?

I have some credit there that I have been unable to spend for about eight months.

I will investigate the jeans.

Don't risk it Sonathan.

• I wear Gap jeans. They're fine for the price point. Some of the shirts too. And I see what some of you poptarts think to leave the house in.

Yep - they are the only jeans with sizing that I don't have to hem and they fit right.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I wear Gap jeans. They're fine for the price point. Some of the shirts too. And I see what some of you poptarts think to leave the house in.

Fashions repeatedly advocated by SoulStrut dudes over the years:

Movado watches
    pocket squares
    New Balances
    Dilla changed my tee-shirts
    cargo shorts
    novelty ties

Basically the confluence of the fashion senses of an undercover cop and Bishop Don Magic Juan.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I wear Gap jeans. They're fine for the price point. Some of the shirts too. And I see what some of you poptarts think to leave the house in.

Fashions repeatedly advocated by SoulStrut dudes over the years:

Movado watches
    pocket squares
    New Balances
    Dilla changed my tee-shirts
    cargo shorts
    novelty ties

Basically the confluence of the fashion senses of an undercover cop and Bishop Don Magic Juan.

Don't forget Jay-Z.

Also:

- Pink button-ups (pink on pink!)
    - Dragon sneakers
    - Culturally relevant skeleton slip-ons

• Graphic Design has gone down hill since it's become easy for anyone to do it.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I've been to the Gap once or twice and found their sizes to run too big for my frame.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    Graphic Design has gone down hill since it's become easy for anyone to do it.

And why is it always graphic design companies have the worst logos for their own company ?

kicks79 said:
    street_muzik said:
    Graphic Design has gone down hill since it's become easy for anyone to do it.

And why is it always graphic design companies have the worst logos for their own company ?

Probably the same reason mechanics drive run-down cars.

• kicks79 said:

NAME NAMES!

Also, I think the original GAP logo was great. Classic clean '90s typography. The new logo is unnecessary and unremarkable. I'll ride for Helvetica Bold any chance I get, but in this "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation, it doesn't seem like much creative energy went into making this logo a reality.

That said, I don't really see why everyone is getting so up-in-arms over it. I mean, it's boring, but it's not THAT BAD. There are far worse visual atrocities plaguing our modern world. The Yahoo logo? The Google logo? NAGLS FOR DAYS.

The worst part about it is indeed their retraction. Their best move would have been to just let people adjust to it, forget about it, and get back to complaining about the new Pepsi logo. Remember when everyone hated that for about 1 week?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Gap is cheap, Old Navy is cheaper, and Banana Republic is better.

Gap was fresh in high school.

Burns said:
    Gap is cheap, Old Navy is cheaper, and Banana Republic is better.

Gap was fresh in high school.

bingo

Herm said:
    Feelin' it.

/

The Woman's Dept?

batmon said:
    Herm said:
    Feelin' it.

/

The Woman's Dept?

The logo, silly goose.

But on that note, back in the day my boy Ro and I would walk through the women's department in order to check out all the fly womens, BUT...we used to talk loudly like:

Ro: "Dude, are you sure your sister's in here?"
    Me: "She said this is where she'd be. Maybe she's at another store."

Here's the kicker: My sister never went to the mall with us.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hey friends,

95% of their stuff is horrendous and waaay over-priced for the crappy quality.

That said, they sometimes do good jeans (their 1969 line is okay), but they charge around $100 for them, which is hilarious. They're great when you can snag them for $40 when they go on sale.

Some of their staples are decent, but again only worth grabbing when on sale.

Kindly,
    parallax

And that's that.

Reuters

GAP Inc. scrapped a new logo Monday just a week after launching it following an ???outpouring of comments??? online and from customers in support of the original blue box design it???s had for more than 20 years.

Gap rolled out an updated version of the logo last Monday on its website and planned to include it in its holiday marketing, a spokeswoman said.

But the company saw more than 2,000 comments on its Facebook page on the issue, with many people railing against the new logo and calling for a return to the old.

The original Gap logo shows a blue box with ???GAP??? written in white inside. The new logo on the website showed ???Gap??? in black against a light background, with a small blue box shown partially behind the letter ???p???.

???We???ve been listening to and watching all of the comments this past week. We heard them say over and over again they are passionate about our blue box logo, and they want it back,??? said Marka Hansen, president of Gap Brand North America. in a statement. ???So we???ve made the decision to do just that -- we will bring it back across all channels.???

Hansen said it was clear the company, founded in San Francisco in 1969, ???did not go about this in the right way??? and missed the ???opportunity to engage with the online community.???

???There may be a time to evolve our logo, but if and when that time comes, we???ll handle it in a different way,??? Hansen said.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I shop at the Gap sometimes.

Also, Baby Gap has cute clothes for toddlers.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    That whole logo change thing was a publicity stunt.