Gap logo redesign

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
is hilariously lame to me

also if you go to the gap site, it looks like one of those sites that you're taken to when you mistype a real URL

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Turrible. I hope they didn't pay someone for that.

• edith head said:

also if you go to the gap site, it looks like one of those sites that you're taken to when you mistype a real URL

haha yes.

• Wife just took a new position there. Shut it mouth!

Haha. At least it's not in the design department

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Wife just took a new position there.

Crazy. My fiance just bought me some pants there. Small world.

• edith head said:

It looks like they used a font that wasn't loaded in the system and it defaulted to some standby.

• Gay And Proud

woops

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ja_bruce said:

NICE

• Martin said:
    edith head said:

unbelievably bad..

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    horrible typeface and shit aliasing...lol

• http://www.facebook.com/gap/posts/159977040694165

lol - looks part American Apparel-ish, part Facebook. Is the blue square supposed to connote jeans pockets?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Looks like a bank logo.

ja_bruce said:

ok whoa! wait...did this ^^^^^^^ post not substantiate that this was fake....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I havent been in a Gap since the early 90s.

• batmon said:

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    batmon said:

me neither - not the point!

it seems like Gap is doing an about face now saying they're proud of the logo redesign, but are asking people on facebook to submit their own designs. i don't understand why a company would want to redesign their logo when the one they have in place has so much brand recognition.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Are they branching out to be an electronic files storage company?? Yikes.

I buy one or two sale things there a year. I got a great denim top in the boys' department a couple of months ago. They are good for simple staple pieces.

• edith head said:
    batmon said:

me neither - not the point!

it seems like Gap is doing an about face now saying they're proud of the logo redesign, but are asking people on facebook to submit their own designs. i don't understand why a company would want to redesign their logo when the one they have in place has so much brand recognition.

Because the modern world is full of people.who have been taught that if they aren't changing things constantly they won't be relevant.
    I used to have a boss like this. Hugely counterproductive time-waster, but HIS bosses thought he was brilliant.

• Double post...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Almond said:
    Looks like a bank logo.

and doesn't feel far from

or even more specifically

a wrote an artical a while back when Ikea was going to be changing their logo custom typeface to shitty Verdana a free font made available by microsoft, people dont realize that there are differences between fonts for paper and fonts for computer monitors, the Ikea fiasco had people up in arms just like this gap logo, most people arent going to like the change as most of their customers are comfortable and with the currently familiar logo..

the biggest issue to most people with the Ikea change was "With Verdana being used all across the Web, Ikea's image not only loses originality, but also credibility and the reputation that the company has built since the 1940s."

• While I agree that the new logo is terrible and wholly unnecessary, I can't believe that people are talmbout I WON'T SHOP THERE IF THIS IS YOUR LOGO.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    While I agree that the new logo is terrible and wholly unnecessary, I can't believe that people are talmbout I WON'T SHOP THERE IF THIS IS YOUR LOGO.

You mean people on here? Or in general? bc it certainly isn't the logo which has kept me from shopping at The Gap.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    While I agree that the new logo is terrible and wholly unnecessary, I can't believe that people are talmbout I WON'T SHOP THERE IF THIS IS YOUR LOGO.

You mean people on here? Or in general? bc the logo never has been nor will be what keeps me from shopping at The Gap.

the more people hate on it, the more I start to like it. All these graphic designers are in an uproar and twittering the Gap with their "better" logo.

Here's the one I submitted:

Also... it does not appear official... it was quietly unveiled on their site to test the waters. Judging by the outcry, they will take the publicity and quietly phase it out.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lol

Thing is - I stand across the street from a Gap every morning at a bus stop and I did not even notice this. Marketing-/branding-wise, that's a problem, right?

hogginthefogg said:

well, that's just weird.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    ja_bruce said:

ok whoa! wait...did this ^^^^^^^ post not substantiate that this was fake....

barbarian group = subserviant chicken = viral media stunts = getting snookered in by this thread

• brokenrecord said:

Whitney Michael:
    This is the worst idea GAP has ever had. I will be sad to see this change take place. I will say that if this logo is brought into the clothing I will no long be shopping with the GAP. Really a bummer because 90% of my clothing has been ...purchased there in the last 15+ years. I have to agree with most of the people when they say... why change something that is good? I am all about change if something needs to be changed, but the old GAP logo is not something that needs to be changed.... its an icon, wait WAS an icon. What a huge disappointment.

willie_fugal said:
    brokenrecord said:

Whitney Michael:
    This is the worst idea GAP has ever had. I will be sad to see this change take place. I will say that if this logo is brought into the clothing I will no long be shopping with the GAP. Really a bummer because 90% of my clothing has been ...purchased there in the last 15+ years. I have to agree with most of the people when they say... why change something that is good? I am all about change if something needs to be changed, but the old GAP logo is not something that needs to be changed.... its an icon, wait WAS an icon. What a huge disappointment.

hmmm...this person sounds like a loser.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    edith head said:
    willie_fugal said:
    brokenrecord said:

Whitney Michael:

hmmm...this person sounds like a loser.

Was it the "90% of my clothing comes from the Gap" that gave that away?