Baton Rouge

pabloscooterpabloscooter 370 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Any tips on visiting Baton Rouge?

Any strutters? dealers? or worthwhile food spots?

Anyone ever been to Buddy Stewart's Rock Shop?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    pabloscooter said:
    Any tips on visiting Baton Rouge?

Any strutters? dealers? or worthwhile food spots?

Anyone ever been to Buddy Stewart's Rock Shop?

Mr. Po Boy on Airline.....save room for the baklava.

Buddy's place is good for photos and laughs.

• Awesome- thanks Rock!

Anyone else have much experience here? I'ill be there on business with some time to kill...

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Buddy Stewart's place --if I'm thinking of the right spot -- has a ton of overpriced LPs, some still sealed, and a further ton of relatively reasonably priced 45s. The woman who runs it, Buddy's daughter, is really friendly. She showed me the museum they have set up next door in the dance hall in her dad's memory.

Don't know how much they had left in them, as they were also operating a tax return service out of the shop when I was there in 2009.

There's another shop with a lot of stock, mostly chud and all the vinyl is underneath the CD bins. They have the good sense to provide a scooter for you to scoot around on when you're looking at the records -- like one of those old square wooden scooters we used to have in gym class. I got a few things there too but since I couldn't tell you the name or the location, this is probably not that helpful.

Third shop had a pantload of sealed cassettes. Again, don't remember the name of it -- I think it was over by the airport -- guy was nice, had been in business for 30 years and the business was clearly dying. I got a Boogie Down Productions tape and a homespun Obama t-shirt from him.

OTHER TIPS: Hubig's pies were in short supply, except at the Texaco station near the airport. CD-Rs made in Japan were abundantly available, including at every Wal-Greens.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Yep.....Buddy's daughter is a sweetheart and their prices are beyond next level.

I also hit that spot with the little bench on wheels thingies....I found some good stuff there but also don't remember the name....I found them in the Yellow Pages....looked like the majority of his business was selling CD's and videos with titles like "Crack Ho's Go Wild".

On the main drag there are two indoor Flea Markets and a huge book store that had vinyl.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Yep.....Buddy's daughter is a sweetheart and their prices are beyond next level.

The LPs were ridiculous. Thriller for $50, stuff like that. The 45s were mostly around $4 or so if memory serves, but they are not organized in any way that makes sense, and they are on bookshelves essentially, which makes browsing laborious.

I also hit that spot with the little bench on wheels thingies....I found some good stuff there but also don't remember the name....I found them in the Yellow Pages....looked like the majority of his business was selling CD's and videos with titles like "Crack Ho's Go Wild".

Definitely the same place. Again, your labors are long and difficult, but your patience *might* be rewarded. Depends on your taste.

On the main drag there are two indoor Flea Markets and a huge book store that had vinyl.

I totally missed these places. Oh well.

• Bump

(and thanks Jroot- forgot to say)

Any good watering holes to speak of?

• I live in Baton Rouge, been out of town, just saw this post.
    My 2cents:

Forget coming up in record stores, unless you're after Cash Money dead stock 12's
    and '80s Malaco blues lps. Buddy Stewarts is an institution, and you should def stop
    in and spend some dough on a t-shirt or something, but it's completely picked over
    for years now, and I'm not sure they even sell vinyl now, something about turning
    their stock into a "library", whereby they burn a cd for a fee.
    The other two are a complete wash, but again, you should go and buy a rapp tape
    or t-shirt, drop some tourist dollar.
    There is a vintage boutique, The Time Warp, on Government st, that has a vinyl room,
    very hit-or-miss, but worth a stop.

For eats, I always reccomend Parrains Seafood to out-a-towners. Well prepared local dishes,
    very fresh seafood, right by I-10. Google it.
    Tony's Seafood on Plank rd., another local institution, best boudin in the city, great crawfish pies.

For drinkin, downtown has Red Star, nice dark smoky bar, hosts a "Mod Sixties" night on Fridays,
    can be a good time.
    Lsu has The Chimes, super huge beer menu, college kids, good food, and the best selection of
    Abita beers, the local brew, on tap.

Oh, and I have been selling off my vinyl this year after ripping everything to mp3, so if you want to
    look through the for sale crates, shoot me a pm.

Hope this helps!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    vinylstalker said:

Forget coming up in record stores, unless you're after Cash Money dead stock 12's
    and '80s Malaco blues lps.

Sounds like heaven to me, seriously.

• Well Harv, then you need to get down here and start grippin'.
    Seriously, I bet Music Treasure Chest has 10 copies of every
    Cash Money release that ever made it to vinyl.

Send me a wishlist if you wannna proxy dig...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    vinylstalker said:
    Well Harv, then you need to get down here and start grippin'.
    Seriously, I bet Music Treasure Chest has 10 copies of every
    Cash Money release that ever made it to vinyl.

Send me a wishlist if you wannna proxy dig...

I already have all of the Universal records, but if you ever see pre-major label distribution Cah Money releases...plaese to grab for me and I will promptly reimburse with a premium attached. Thx.