Camp Lo

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    faux_rillz said:
    SIDENOTE: Back then I used to know this dude who straight-up adored them. Like he had been waiting his whole life for a group to come along that epitomized his worldview and aesthetic, and they were it. He used to get worked up at anybody who dared offer a critical thought, like "WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT? NO REALLY, I JUST NEED TO KNOW: WHY WOULD YOU EVER SAY THAT?" I also recall that his primary mode of transportation was a set of rollerblades.

LOL we had that dude out here too. Kind of ruined my Campaloa experience. I was more "what?" than "This is it!"

LOL--I think everybody had that dude somewhere on the margins of their crew.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Were the two subsequent efforts also produced by Ski? I remember being told that they had a regional hit in North Carolina about ten years ago, which makes some sense, since I believe Ski was living down there at the time.

The second record was all Ski, he did some singles with them after that, and every lp since then has had like one or two Ski tracks. I think he does a verse every now and again, too, to mixed results.

And yeah, I don't know the particulars, but there's some NC connection. There's a skit on one of their records where the dude who's about to guest-rap announces that he's from "Norf Cuh-line-uh," and then gets clowned for "talk[ing] like Willie Nelson."

Side note: "Black Nostaljack" is--like "Mind's Playing Tricks On Me," "Dirty South," "Gold Digger," et al.--superior in its clean version.

• one of those guys is from Danville, VA...Ski is from Greensboro...45 minute drive.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Were the two subsequent efforts also produced by Ski? I remember being told that they had a regional hit in North Carolina about ten years ago, which makes some sense, since I believe Ski was living down there at the time.

The second record was all Ski, he did some singles with them after that, and every lp since then has had like one or two Ski tracks. I think he does a verse every now and again, too, to mixed results.

And yeah, I don't know the particulars, but there's some NC connection. There's a skit on one of their records where the dude who's about to guest-rap announces that he's from "Norf Cuh-line-uh," and then gets clowned for "talk[ing] like Willie Nelson."

Side note: "Black Nostaljack" is--like "Mind's Playing Tricks On Me," "Dirty South," "Gold Digger," et al.--superior in its clean version.

Ski's originally from Greensboro, NC. When Camp Lo came out and Ski was doing beats for Jay-Z and Lil Kim, there were grumblings around Greensboro that Ski "forgot where he came from, tryina be all New York and shit," but that was mostly haterism.

Another song that's superior in its clean version: "Always Into Something"

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Can we discuss the Diamond Crooks' fashion evolution? Dudes went from reasonable 70's inspired steez to weird minx coat, cowboy hats and boots flamboyance.

Can we discuss the Diamond Crooks' fashion evolution? Dudes went from reasonable 70's inspired steez to weird minx coat, cowboy hats and boots flamboyance.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

Ski's originally from Greensboro, NC. When Camp Lo came out and Ski was doing beats for Jay-Z and Lil Kim, there were grumblings around Greensboro that Ski "forgot where he came from, tryina be all New York and shit," but that was mostly haterism.

Another song that's superior in its clean version: "Always Into Something"

Also, "Punks Jump Up" is superior in it's clean form, and not just because of the terribly homophobic lyrics on it.

Here's a few songs that I always loved from later on in their career. And cats would really be surprised how much these songs bang out in the clubs, and got mad crossover appeal.

• nevermind, its all lulz

dudes were FANNAY!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Undercover Faggot Lovers.

• An important touchstone in the "Buttah Levvuhs" sub-genre

• Park Joint:

"In The Blue Oyster / shooting Zorro to get Played"

"And a full confession, on how you messing, getting funky lessons
    From the Doctor Strange love, effervescence
    See the star and crescents, when I open up that ass"

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Here's a few songs that I always loved from later on in their career...

I like "Glow" and I dig "Trouble Man" too:

That beat goes hard IMO.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    Here's a fun drinking game you can play we made up on the MT tour.

Every time they say something PAUSE worthy or outright, well, shall we say, ummm how do say this.. Bromantic, malerotic etc, take a small sip of your drank.

Garaunteed wastedness halfway through the album, well before te gay sword of zorro, creamy manhandling and "cmon, f*** that dude - f**** that dude f*** that dude"

GICHI GICHI INDEED!

I'm just saying, it's one thing to say something in a freestyle, another thing to write it in a rhymebook, and a WHOLE other thing to record it AND overdub it.

A good record nonetheless.

PUTS right? You guys put a whole lot of thought in to your rhymes....

• TableSaw said:
    4YearGraduate said:

Every time they say something PAUSE worthy or outright, well, shall we say, ummm how do say this.. Bromantic, malerotic etc, take a small sip of your drank.

Garaunteed wastedness halfway through the album, well before te gay sword of zorro, creamy manhandling and "cmon, f*** that dude - f**** that dude f*** that dude"

GICHI GICHI INDEED!

I'm just saying, it's one thing to say something in a freestyle, another thing to write it in a rhymebook, and a WHOLE other thing to record it AND overdub it.

Nope, 4YG from SSGCx99 LA ZULUGOATS

and, like I said, A good record Nonetheless, but yes, some possibly inadvertent suspicious qoutes.

• Uptown Saturday night is one of my all time favorites..I remember when it came out "luchini" was killin' it in the clurb..still does no?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

cot damn......thats a "suspect" pic....RLMAO

From "8 Years Ago"

[Geechi Suede]

At the central park we was blood brothers
    Known on Valentine as the young lovers
    Switching, hitting different ones before rubbers
    You chose the coke route smoke route dope route
    I chose the mic life hype life night life
    On separate paths, we still clash on the Ave
    And spilling saying the glass
    And blinding our mats with hash
    Still in my dreams I can see you so clear
    Wake up out of my puzzle haze I cant believe you ain't here
    I miss you

"Black Connect II"

[Suede]
    Scar a feeble, throw the lassos
    Black Connect at the Boscos
    Hidin hollows and assholes
    Matrix, bullets don't dodge slow
    Untraceable grin gin pour
    Palms is sweaty
    Relax, relate, release
    We ready (We ready)

[Cheeba]
    Blue Eyed
    Blue Skies brawn
    Wearin blue suits
    Blue through tall pigs
    From the skies
    Think its two Alec Baldwins
    Crosswinds
    Fold them in, we in the air

[Suede]
    Yea my semi-bleached
    Clorox, get near me
    Might blow ox
    This bunnies got chaos
    The white clouds, gray fox
    The mad purple, violet
    In that the private pilot
    You try it
    In this I.V. will be the rest of your diet
    We wild with fury for jury movies
    Mass um up of uzis
    Minus the fingerprints
    The turbulence still got me woozy
    Thats when I heard the engine blow
    Screamin: "Cheeba eject!"
    Free fallin reckless through the clouds
    Now lets get this glow

"China Soul"

[Chorus]
    Asia to Africa (Africa)
    The young boys they wanna rush (they wanna rush)
    Another cut from the Warriors (the Warriors)
    We stay victorious (stay victorious)
    {Repeat}

[Suede]
    There is twilight
    My life you like we light is getting brighter
    Twin deep unique we screeching
    Bleakers out a speeding Viper
    Sexy Lex we blessed for days
    While you crawl on my spider
    Hypnotic, exotic subtonic
    We fuzzy navel

• Diggin said:

Damn, Ski made the "Ultimate High" beat? That shit is tough. Never knew who did it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    Alright

What, you don't souffle, suga?

Good not great group IMO. Def not a one hit wonder.
    I copped that Trouble Man 12 when it dropped.
    I cant take their delivery after a while. It just gets me.

Costume Rap??

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    batmon said:
    I cant take their delivery after a while. It just gets me.

Costume Rap??

Yes.

That said, Costume Rap can be dope (see: Gravediggaz) and I love Uptown...

Krystal Karrington:

A nice remix of Coolie High and a Lemon D remix of Luchini for the EU contingent. I was on the tail end of a long jungle phase at that time (yikes!) so this LemonDwhitevinylremix10" was a prized possession at the time (yikes!):

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, that Lemon D remix was on the flip of the UK 12".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I played the 1st album out again a couple years ago - its not thorough IMO but more than a few nice cuts.

Here's a good interview with Ski talking about Jay and Camp LO fighting over his beats before either made it...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    james said:

And "Dead Homies."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Diggin said:

Has anyone read the rest of this article? Christ, some of it makes for depressing reading. Ski talks about making an entire album with Camp Lo that he literally threw away. Same with a shitload of stuff he did with Jay, Big L, Cam, Rah Digga, Mase...

• faux_rillz said:

haha so true

• 4YearGraduate said:
    TableSaw said:
    4YearGraduate said:

GICHI GICHI INDEED!

Nope, 4YG from SSGCx99 LA ZULUGOATS

and, like I said, A good record Nonetheless, but yes, some possibly inadvertent suspicious qoutes.

Joke on joke= Joke. Zulugoats!!!!!!