sounds as fresh as when it came out

rape_donkeysrape_donkeys 615 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
so i'm sitting here listening to generic flipper, like fuck did this shit really come out 20 years ago? please list some records that you feel are prescient, timeless, don't sound exclusively of a particular time, people still aren't ready for, etcliquid liquid - optimoyoung marble giants - colossal youthkrafwerk - radioactivityesg - come away with esgjust ice - back to the old school the slits - cut steve reich - music for 18 musiciansmanuel gottsching - e2e4talk talk - spirit of edenpublic enemy - nation of millionsking tubby meets rockers uptownboredoms - soul dischargetom tom club - close to the bonecontortions - buydie kreuzen s/tpublic image ltd - first issuesonic youth - confusion is sex

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    90% cosign... but i didn't see any donovan in there(?)

or this one... straight outta THRASHIN'

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Can - Tago Mago, Ege Bamyase, Monster Movie

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

FUTURE DAYS

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    music without time:

this heat
    can - future days
    paul mccartney - RAM

definately a lot more in my head, but I think I'm attributing a lot of them to showing no age because of dry recording/clean engineering rather than stylistically. Dark Side of the Moon? White Album? Then you have music from the 80s that doesn't have all the negative baggage of an 80s sound. Also music recorded by aging artists that has the same integrity as their previous work.

FUTURE DAYS

Jinx.

And I wouldn't say monster movie. That is probably their most dated work. Not that that's a bad thing...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    cosign on radioactivity and spirit of eden

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

...i love these threads.

• I think I'm attributing a lot of them to showing no age because of dry recording/clean engineering rather than stylistically.

word i think that's a good distinction to make up front... even shit that may be light years ahead of its time can be recorded in a way as to date it. see: velvet underground or the stooges. not a negative thing, just maybe not in application to this particular soulstrut list making endeavor. good call on this heat.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

generic flipper
    liquid liquid - optimo
    krafwerk - radioactivity
    esg - come away with esg
    just ice - back to the old school
    the slits - cut
    public enemy - nation of millions
    king tubby meets rockers uptown
    boredoms - soul discharge
    tom tom club - close to the bone
    die kreuzen s/t
    public image ltd - first issue
    sonic youth - confusion is sex

that's a great list already.
    I would add

Jackie Mittoo - Showcase Volume 3

and

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I think I'm attributing a lot of them to showing no age because of dry recording/clean engineering rather than stylistically.

word i think that's a good distinction to make up front... even shit that may be light years ahead of its time can be recorded in a way as to date it.

well when i think of alot of these records i wouldn't call them dryly recorded. I think its more to do with them occupying unique sonic worlds unto themselves.

not to mention most of them feature a heavy dosage of idiosyncratic playing and writing

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I think I'm attributing a lot of them to showing no age because of dry recording/clean engineering rather than stylistically.

word i think that's a good distinction to make up front... even shit that may be light years ahead of its time can be recorded in a way as to date it.

well when i think of alot of these records i wouldn't call them dryly recorded. I think its more to do with them occupying unique sonic worlds unto themselves.

not to mention most of them feature a heavy dosage of idiosyncratic playing and writing

my dry recording comment was just one example of how something can be made timeless. of course, if an artist has a unique sonic world all their own, it would be just the same.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I can play this game too, D*****.

YES!!! are you kidding me!?? what the hell Simply Saucer is so unbelievable great! i have played this out many times over and i never get sick of it. and they're canadian you must be so proud Dubious. it's like the best of the velvets and pink floyd together plus lyrics about s&m and dysfunctional love over catchy ass guitar riffs is so . i heart this band so much i do

it's like the best of the velvets and pink floyd together plus lyrics about s&m and dysfunctional love over catchy ass guitar riffs is so

<------- thx Ms. Damn!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

the s/t early Mekons LP that looks like this. been a long time since i listened but i know it holds up.

the saucer are definatly the greatest canadian band of all time pretty much

even with daniel lanois involvement!

Steel Town represent!!

it's like the best of the velvets and pink floyd together plus lyrics about s&m and dysfunctional love over catchy ass guitar riffs is so

------- thx Ms. Damn!

haha for real, this band is brilliant. on a purely superficial level, they rock and are catchy, but then you listen to the lyrics and realize dude is singing all happy "i like the way that you treat me like dirt..." and "terrorize my brain!" HUH? then there's this song that's called "dance the mutation" that has to be about rough sex, but you would never know it unless you listen closely. this band is so great. too bad they never got heard back then they wouldn't have blown up

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I've never heard this album but I sweat Shadow.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Is the question "sounds as fresh NOW as when it came out," or "this is some timeless shit, here?"

Because I can say that Cymande and Big Star and Nick Drake and (oh, hell) Gary Higgins are timeless, but I can also say that ESG and PIL's First Edition /Metal Box (or, really, Gary Neuman ca. The Pleasure Principle) sound great now, but would have been "dated" to the common ear 10/15 yrs ago.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This record has never got old for me. I must be on my third copy by now;

See earlier "blue-eyed soul" thread;

I was shamefully late in discovering these guys. The number of acts that bit this record, and continue to bite it, is astonishing;

This is supposedly the kind of record that terms like "jazz-rock" were invented in order to describe. It just sounds like good music to me. I listen to this maybe a couple of times a month, and it sounds more vital than a lot of records that are ten times younger;