new shadow thread(s)

mrfinewinemrfinewine 157 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
has this been noted?http://www.obeydjshadow.com/

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    shepard fairey is a pretty cool guy despite the multi-level branding his art has become. even though shadow gets a lot of flack on this site, that set seems interesting. 450pc raer.

• get'um while they're hot! supposedly this thing just went up about 20 minutes ago, so you've still got a shot!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Available September 1st, 2005

• awallawall 673 Posts
    450pc raer.

too bad there aren't 450 people who write for urb. seriously though...who buys this shit?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    who buys this shit?

who buys this shit?

who buys this shit?

who buys this shit?

who buys this shit?

who buys this shit?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

i've never even heard anything by dj shadow since entroducing, but who the fuck cares if he's still out there? people get so wrapped up in beef (myself included), but i'd bet 5 to 1 that if you (anyone on this site) ran into him in the real world, you'd kiss his ass. from what i've heard, he's a nice guy.

• he's a nice guy.

cosign!!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i've never even heard anything by dj shadow since entroducing, but who the fuck cares if he's still out there? people get so wrapped up in beef (myself included), but i'd bet 5 to 1 that if you (anyone on this site) ran into him in the real world, you'd kiss his ass. from what i've heard, he's a nice guy.

atleast for me, im not bashing the guy as a 'musician' in any way, just the concept of what they were selling in that isntance. i am a fan of both the artists involved, shepards a cool dude, just am not a fan of what they are doing with this one project, it just seems silly...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

atleast for me, im not bashing the guy as a 'musician' in any way, just the concept of what they were selling in that isntance. i am a fan of both the artists involved, shepards a cool dude, just am not a fan of what they are doing with this one project, it just seems silly...

"I'm not bashing him as an artist--I'm bashing him as a person!"

i like yer title.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

"I'm not bashing him as an artist--I'm bashing him as a person!"

i like yer title.

It was bestowed upon me anonymously.

• mooneymooney 48 Posts

I DJ'd an opening for Shepard years ago and he was a really cool dude. He wanted to hear really good poltically minded classic hip-hop.

Shadow has been by my store and he is an even nicer guy. He bought nothing but down south records. The guy is real nice, seems to be an insane fan of hip-hop and he knows his records.

I think both of these guys have already had some career defining moments, which most of us would kill for. Like it or not Obey and Endtroducing elevated both of these guys to iconic status for our generation. You probably liked them both back in the day, but too many people get up on something and its time to hate.

Bottom line, they both continue to get paid nicely to do their thing while, I type on a message board.

real nice, seems to be an insane fan of hip-hop and he knows his records.
    I think both of these guys have already had some career defining moments, which most of us would kill for. Like it or not Obey and Endtroducing elevated both of these guys to iconic status for our generation. You probably liked them both back in the day, but too many people get up on something and its time to hate.[/b]

Does the fact that I never liked anything either of these guys did validate my hate? Just trying to get it straight.

I DJ'd an opening for Shepard years ago and he was a really cool dude. He wanted to hear really good poltically minded classic hip-hop.

Shadow has been by my store and he is an even nicer guy. He bought nothing but down south records. The guy is real nice, seems to be an insane fan of hip-hop and he knows his records.

I think both of these guys have already had some career defining moments, which most of us would kill for. Like it or not Obey and Endtroducing elevated both of these guys to iconic status for our generation. You probably liked them both back in the day, but too many people get up on something and its time to hate.

Bottom line, they both continue to get paid nicely to do their thing while, I type on a message board.
    no AYO, but just to ghey out a minute... that was the most accurate response i've seen all day.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    He wanted to hear really good poltically minded classic hip-hop.

Hm. I took him more for the "really bad politically minded classic hip-hop" type. Guess my judgment was a bit misguided.

-e

Does the fact that I never liked anything either of these guys did validate my hate? Just trying to get it straight.

i think a lot of people might say they don't like something solely on the basis that either you, or someone else with a high post count said they don't. even on the internet, there's a follow-the-leader mentality that seems to shine through quite often. you can't like/love what you hate... that's fair, but it seems like folks here become easially polarized. i have no opinion on this topic (shadow/obey) other than what i formed for myself in 1996.

i think a lot of people might say they don't like something solely on the basis that either you, or someone else with a high post count said they don't. even on the internet, there's a follow-the-leader mentality that seems to shine through quite often. you can't like/love what you hate... that's fair, but it seems like folks here become easially polarized. i have no opinion on this topic (shadow/obey) other that what i formed for myself in 1996.

Ah, I'm not that influential. And even though DJ Shadow has never--to my knowledge--posted here, I'm a far less important figure in the SoulStrut cosmology than he is.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Man, I'll be the first to admit that I find myself looking for special edition releases that I've slept on. I even find myself stating: 'damn, if only I got that shit when it was first released'. But this Obey/Shadow shit sounds too over the top. It comes with 5 shirts? Come on now! How bad must you be on homeboys dick to rock that shit, one for every weekday? They might as well made it 7. Actually, I'm suprised they didnt, and called it the:

'endtro-limited-obey-a-shirt-a-thon' package.

I wont front, I like Shadows music A LOT, but his marketing techniques have been a bit silly lately. Dude, put the shit on vinyl and move on. Have you noticed that nearly every single release of his (since private press) has had some sort of special you have to 'jump-through-fire-hoops-to-get-my-record-release-party'?

ENOUGH.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I wont front, I like Shadows music A LOT, but his marketing techniques have been a bit silly lately. Dude, put the shit on vinyl and move on. Have you noticed that nearly every single release of his (since private press) has had some sort of special you have to 'jump-through-fire-hoops-to-get-my-record-release-party'?

ENOUGH.

I'd venture to say that he does this shit because, well, his dorky fans EAT THAT SHIT UP. I mean, people are pretty fan-atical about Mr. Shadow and they love this stupid little collectors shit that makes them feel like they're his biggest fans ever. This shit annoys the shit out of me too, but it's probably because I'm not the Target Audience. All this shit suggests to me is that DJ Shadow has a pretty good understanding of who it is that buys his records and is doing a damn good job giving these people what they want.

Just as a sidenote, I'm not a DJ Shadow hater (though I don't really think he's all that "important" to rap music). I do like me some DJ Shadow but I don't think I've liked anything since...hm... probably "Storm Warning" and one or two tracks of "The Private Press."

-e

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I've never met the dude, but I do own and celebraet his entire catalogue.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Kid Robot is basically a repository for a lot of this dumb shit. At least you can wear sneakers. But when I start collecting fucking plastic Japanese toys G-d help me.

But when I start collecting fucking plastic Japanese toys G-d help me.
    um... i collect old japanese toys.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Ok, I could care less about DJ Shadow, hiphop, and you, but I need to shout this out loud: A DUDE THROWING A MOLITOV COCKTAIL WITH A DJ SHADOW RECORD BAG IS PRETENTIOUS AND LUDICROUS AND ABSOLUTELY LAME-O!

Yeah, lame-o. I said it and I won't take it back. Alright, so like, Brainfreeze--yeah!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Ok, I could care less about hiphop

i've met danno, and this is true.

Ok, I could care less about DJ Shadow, hiphop, and you, but I need to shout this out loud: A DUDE THROWING A MOLITOV COCKTAIL WITH A DJ SHADOW RECORD BAG IS PRETENTIOUS AND LUDICROUS AND ABSOLUTELY LAME-O!
    i don't really get this danno... but keep on keepin' on man(?)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i don't really get this danno... but keep on keepin' on man(?)

peep the graphics on the promo site

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Just for the record, even though I could care less about hiphop, I am fully hiphop. Really, I am--my mother's like, Danno, you're so hiphop, and then all my friends nod their heads in agreement.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Just for the record, even though I could care less about hiphop, I am fully hiphop. Really, I am--my mother's like, Danno, you're so hiphop, and then all my friends nod their heads in agreement.

Danno is still the future of Hip Hop.