Soulstrut's Untouchables (overrated artists-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Just to note, after 13+ pages of comments, it seems that a few artists have escaped unharmed:

James Brown
Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye

I'll go out on a limb and assume Aretha gets a pass too.

(Now let's sit back and see who the first contrarian will be...)

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Public Enemy
    A Tribe Called Quest

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    batmon said:
    Public Enemy
    A Tribe Called Quest

I don't think any rap artists will make it past the Soulstrut Hate Machine, including these two.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Just to note, after 13+ pages of comments, it seems that a few artists have escaped unharmed:

James Brown
    Stevie Wonder
    Marvin Gaye

I'll go out on a limb and assume Aretha gets a pass too.

(Now let's sit back and see who the first contrarian will be...)

Aretha Franklin

Sam Cooke

• I don't see a lot of talk about them anymore but I would venture a guess and say the meters might make this list?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    TOO SYNCOPATED

• Options
    I think Curtis Mayfield may be a bit overrated. Curtom Record label...But nobody is more overrated than The Doors. Jim Morrison is not as good as Van Morrison. Why is it when I say, "you like Morrison's music?" People say yeah the Doors are great.

Recently, I like that pop track Jack Jones - I Wish You Love. That is some good stuff. No classical but still good.

• Options
    Almond said:
    Sam Cooke

Now that's harsh.

PelvicDust said:
    Almond said:
    Sam Cooke

Now that's harsh.

I'm assuming Cooke was a nomination for "Untouchable" status.

mannybolone said:
    PelvicDust said:
    Almond said:
    Sam Cooke

Now that's harsh.

Yes, Cooke=untouchable.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    I think Curtis Mayfield may be a bit overrated.

DIE

• Options
    Almond said:
    mannybolone said:
    PelvicDust said:
    Almond said:
    Sam Cooke

Now that's harsh.

Yes, Cooke=untouchable.

Oh, okay. Sorry about that, then.

• Options
    Ok, I take back my Curtis Mayfield statement. I misunderstood the direction of the post. But, my Jim Morrison comment stands.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Beatles
    Stones
    Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin

Dolly Parton for creating Dollywood.

• leon said:

Dolly Parton for creating Dollywood.

Is this something in your pants?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Otis Redding

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    The Smiths

• Paul said:
    The Smiths

the word overrated personified. misery packaged as intellectual wit. and a banger free catalogue aside from There Is A Light

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Paul said:
    The Smiths
    Maybe just. For got this was 'Soulstrut???s Untouchables'. No chance.

But Morrissey is (still) probably the most overrated of the overrated.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I was kiddin', second only to the Beach Boys, The Smiths inspire a certain amount of misguided insanity when discussed round these parts.

the word overrated personified. misery packaged as intellectual wit. and a banger free catalogue aside from There Is A Light

Ouch! Banger free? No love for How Soon Is Now, Hand In Glove, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic etc. I'm guessing.

• Fuck yall, the Smiths never made a bad or even medicore album. Classic material from first to last....

b/w

way to bring the hate back with this thread.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Parliament Funkadelic

Kool & The Gang

Ohio Players

• staxwax said:
    Parliament Funkadelic

Kool & The Gang

Ohio Players

I ONLY LISTEN FOR THA SAMPLEZ AND BRAEKZ YO....

DustedDon said:
    staxwax said:
    Parliament Funkadelic

Kool & The Gang

Ohio Players

I ONLY LISTEN FOR THA SAMPLEZ AND BRAEKZ YO....

LESBIAN HOODRAT ANTHEMS

• Shuggie
    Curtis
    Stevie
    Aretha
    Mavis Staples
    Sade
    Marvin
    Sam Cooke
    Hendrix

These artists above to me have way more great moments than bad to me, Mavis of course recorded alot of fluff w/ the Staple Singers but i think the good out weighs the bad by a smaller margin than the rest of my list, the other artists speak for themselves.

And i for one LOVE Otis, but honestly his career was full of as many duds as it was moments of greatness (he did have a very short career, i know), too many of his songs sound the same, dude was an insane vocalist (top 5) but i don't think he deserves to be untouchable.

• "LESBIAN HOODRAT ANTHEMS"

not only do you have horrible taste in music, you're also a homophobe.

b/w

please tell me you're not a DJ... oh wait you're a real hip hop producer right? making those ill bangers for the underground?

DustedDon said:
    "LESBIAN HOODRAT ANTHEMS"

not only do you have horrible taste in music, you're also a homophobe.

b/w

please tell me you're not a DJ... oh wait you're a real hip hop producer right? making those ill bangers for the underground?

since when is a lesbian a homo duke? you're ten kinds of stupid.

b/w

Parliament Funkadelic

Kool & The Gang

Ohio Players

=

Horrible taste in music.

• Paul said:
    I was kiddin', second only to the Beach Boys, The Smiths inspire a certain amount of misguided insanity when discussed round these parts.

Ouch! Banger free? No love for How Soon Is Now, Hand In Glove, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Panic etc. I'm guessing.

unfortunately my days of dropkicking plastic cups full of snakebite onto the uni dancefloor are far behind me, so i truly can't weigh in on the banger quotient. never seen bigmouth "go off" but perhaps...

but lets be honest, their music is as dreary as the predictable debate it always inspires.

Hey fuckers, take your hate to the other thread. This is reserved for unassailably great artists. Once people begin to disagree, there goes the "unassailability."

So far, I have yet to hear anyone mount a credible attack on suggesting that the following belong in the pantheon:

James
    Aretha
    Stevie
    Marvin
    Sam

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    haze25 said:

And i for one LOVE Otis, but honestly his career was full of as many duds as it was moments of greatness (he did have a very short career, i know), too many of his songs sound the same, dude was an insane vocalist (top 5) but i don't think he deserves to be untouchable.

I get lost in my Otis Redding albums. But I can see how people would find some of his stuff tepid. Actually, I find some of his stuff teipd too, but it's all so uniquely Otis Redding that I rarely skip his songs. He's the perfect soul artist to me. (Might a PMG thing.)