The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
The R&R Hall of Fame's 2011 ballot, which was announced this morning, include the Beastie Boys, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Donovan, Tom Waits, LL Cool J, Dr. John, the J. Geils Band, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, and Chuck Willis.

If you had to pick 3 from the above list who would they be??

And for the 11th straight year....No KISS.

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    LL, Bestie Boys and for sure, Dr. John

• Alice Cooper, Dr John, and it's a tough cal between Joe Tex and Chuck Willis.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The R&R Hall of Fame's 2011 ballot, which was announced this morning, include the Beastie Boys, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Donovan, Tom Waits, LL Cool J, Dr. John, the J. Geils Band, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, and Chuck Willis.

Dr. John, Alice Cooper, Beasties

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    as musch as i like LL, i dont think he should be in there.

Beasties, Flash, and the rest are cool but LL......naw.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Joe Tex, Chuck Willis & Darlene Love

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Alice Cooper, Joe Tex and Chuck Willis.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Why are rap dudes in the R&R HOF?

After that, how do you nominate J.Geils Band, but not KISS?

Total Bullshit.

Bon Vivant said:

There are a gang of questionable non Rockists in the Hall, but I can see certain artists like the Beasties that have a Rock sensiblity(means alot of things).

Tupac and Biggie will get in someday, but ehhh......

Run DMC are a perfect example of an artist "outside" of Rock that influenced the medium.

As big as LL is/was I cant really place him next to Run Dmc despite being on the same label.

Yeah he did some shit w/ guitars but not in the consant overt way that RUN DMC did.

Flash and Bambaataa pioneers that played/rocked Punkers/downtown.

• batmon said:
    Bon Vivant said:

There are a gang of questionable non Rockists in the Hall, but I can see certain artists like the Beasties that have a Rock sensiblity(means alot of things).

Run DMC are a perfect example of an artist "outside" of Rock that influenced the medium.

As big as LL is/was I cant really place him next to Run Dmc despite being on the same label.

Yeah he did some shit w/ guitars but not in the consant overt way that RUN DMC did.

To which I would add that Public Enemy "Nation of Millions" is in someways a straight up rock album.

There's no denying that by the 90's many rock dudes were very influenced by rap/hip hop.

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:
    Bon Vivant said:

To which I would add that Public Enemy "Nation of Millions" is in someways a straight up rock album.

There's no denying that by the 90's many rock dudes were very influenced by rap/hip hop.

I wont go there and say Nations is a Rock album. Rockist love to claim it, but I cant co-sign that shit.

Yes, they influenced Rock but to try and swallow that shit up in the Rock pantheon is wack to me.

PE did make Hip Hop w/ Rock samples and did collabos w/ Rockers.

I cant see LL in the same boat. Unless your just praising his popularity w/ the Rock audience after Goin Back to Cali.

• batmon said:
    I wont go there and say Nations is a Rock album. Rockist love to claim it, but I cant co-sign that shit.

Yes, they influenced Rock but to try and swallow that shit up in the Rock pantheon is wack to me.

Hence the phrase 'in some ways'.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    batmon said:
    as musch as i like LL, i dont think he should be in there.

Beasties, Flash, and the rest are cool but LL......naw.

The Beastie Boys probably belong there--I consider them essentially a rock act.

But as for the others? Rap does not need that kind of rockist validation. Leave rap alone.

• Rockadelic said:

One of the few good decisions they've made. j/k...kinda. I mean KISS blows goats but I guess they deserve to be in there based on influence or whatever. But when ABBA was inducted I think any remaining shred of credibility went out the window. I went to the R&R HOF when I was in high school and thought it sucked, I wonder if it's gotten any better since. I didn't even get to have lunch with Little Richard!

• "Suckas get mad, cos the girlies scream
    And I'm still gettin' paid while you look at me mean"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The R&R HOF always looks a little weird to Euromans. They tried to inaugurate a UK version of it a few years ago, and the whole thing died on its arse pretty quickly. Harry Allen has been talking on Twitter about trying to establish a rap hall of fame, but it's difficult to imagine fans of Lil B or Waka Flocka giving too much of a fuck about Melle Mel.

One conspicuous absence from Rock's partial list is Chic, the inclusion of whom is likely to boil the piss of as many rockists as those ones who get aerated about rappers muscling in on the party. From what I can gather, Nile Rodgers is pretty stoked about it, and even though as a Chic fan, I personally feel they don't need that kind of validation, it wouldn't make any difference to me if they were to get in. Nonetheless, I can envisage lingering anti-disco prejudice prevailing over any desire to acknowledge Chic's wholly-justified place in the pantheon of great New York bands.

And anybody who thinks the J. Geils Band don't belong in something like the R&R HOF needs to stop flipping past Full House in their local dollar bin and get familiar.

DocMcCoy said:
    One conspicuous absence from Rock's partial list is Chic, the inclusion of whom is likely to boil the piss of as many rockists as those ones who get aerated about rappers muscling in on the party. From what I can gather, Nile Rodgers is pretty stoked about it, and even though as a Chic fan, I personally feel they don't need that kind of validation, it wouldn't make any difference to me if they were to get in. Nonetheless, I can envisage lingering anti-disco prejudice prevailing over any desire to acknowledge Chic's wholly-justified place in the pantheon of great New York bands.

Havent Rockists acknowledged Bernard & Rogers as important musicians?

My (Euro)Rockist Co-worker gives props to Chic every chance he gets.

I think Rogers said they set out to be the Led Zep of Blaque Musiq.

DocMcCoy said:

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    And anybody who thinks the J. Geils Band don't belong in something like the R&R HOF needs to stop flipping past Full House in their local dollar bin and get familiar.

:liljohn:

DocMcCoy said:
    Harry Allen has been talking on Twitter about trying to establish a rap hall of fame, but it's difficult to imagine fans of Lil B or Waka Flocka giving too much of a fuck about Melle Mel.

Jeezus, I hope not. Please keep absurd rockist conventions out of rap music.

• Did anyone else here read Bob Lefsetz's comments on the nominations. jesus, the dude is like the poster boy for the boomer/rockist/white/Rolling Stone(the magazine)-worshipper/black artist-hater stereotype that takes as its Temple of the Mount the R&R HOF and Eric Clapton as its patron saint, w/Elvis' guitar as the ultimate relic.

• willie_fugal said:
    Did anyone else here read Bob Lefsetz's comments on the nominations. jesus, the dude is like the poster boy for the boomer/rockist/white/Rolling Stone(the magazine)-worshipper/black artist-hater stereotype that takes as its Temple of the Mount the R&R HOF and Eric Clapton as its patron saint, w/Elvis' guitar as the ultimate relic.

lefsetz.

that man's schtick gets old...

• im skimming over his column about the R&R H.O.F. right now.

seems to have some kind of knowledge of the acts being inducted, but the late, great Chuck Willis is "out of (his) purview"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Yeah, they certainly received a fair wedge of critical acclaim amongst rock critics, and Rodgers & Edwards themselves never hesitated to give props to those rock acts that had an influence on them, such as Roxy Music and Zep. But I always felt that acclaim was more at the level accorded to, say, Barry White and Isaac Hayes rather than to more overtly socially-conscious performers like Stevie or Marvin; as if to say that, yeah, Chic were more serious than The Ritchie Family, for example, but they weren't serious serious, because disco itself wasn't serious music. I do think this is partly to do with the unease that a lot of people in the US still feel about that whole era. After all, look at how disco-derived forms like house and techno had to be rebranded as "electronica" or "IDM" - not even "dance music" - in order to gain any kind of foothold amongst both critics and listeners alike.

This is the only attempt at a serious critical analysis of Chic that's out there. It's good, too.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I've not read that book but I seem to recall Nile originally wanted to front a full-on rock band but was told in no uncertain terms that no-one would touch that idea. This was before he met Edwards. Edwards didn't want to know Nile at first, he thought he was insane.

Unless I am thinking about someone else.

Chic were f*cking awesome. It's what got me playing bass. As a kid I had "Adventures on the Wheels of Steel" and loved the loop, I actually didn't know who it was at first but the chords and bassline, then draping the keys over it, all clicking like that is what it's all about for me. Musically it's beautiful and you can dance to it. What more do you want?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I have spoken to some of the people at the Rock Hall of Fame (work around the corner from it). According to them the reason that you see "non rock" groups and artists on the list is because according to them rock was influenced by the blues etc etc and so were these other groups.....the people who choose the inductees apparently know that LL, Chic, PE and the likes are not what people consider to be rock musicians.....they are basically trying to reach different demographics (make more c.r.e.a.m). Not say that I agree or disagree with this but this is their reasoning.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

FOR THE ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME:

Alice Cooper. Alice Cooper's records from 1970 to 1975 are all fun, loud rock records. I'm not familiar with his output since then, but I'd put him in on the strength of these records alone.

Neil Diamond. Neil is not really a rock artist, but he has enough ties/overlap to qualify. Plus the dude's loungey songs have drifted over into the rock pantheon. And he's larger than life.

Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi excelled at rock conventions of a very particular (and very dated) kind -- the power chord set behind cliche lyrics. Which in some ways makes him/them the ultimate 80s rock band. After all, this is the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

These are not the three best artists on the list, nor are they my three favorites. But they are the three who most belong in the rock n roll hall of fame.

DocMcCoy said:

This is the only attempt at a serious critical analysis of Chic that's out there. It's good, too.

Can you elaborate a little on the book?

You've piqued my interest--been wanting to learn more about Chic.

• JRoot said:
    Rockadelic said:

FOR THE ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME:

Alice Cooper. Alice Cooper's records from 1970 to 1975 are all fun, loud rock records. I'm not familiar with his output since then, but I'd put him in on the strength of these records alone.

Neil Diamond. Neil is not really a rock artist, but he has enough ties/overlap to qualify. Plus the dude's loungey songs have drifted over into the rock pantheon. And he's larger than life.

Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi excelled at rock conventions of a very particular (and very dated) kind -- the power chord set behind cliche lyrics. Which in some ways makes him/them the ultimate 80s rock band. After all, this is the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

These are not the three best artists on the list, nor are they my three favorites. But they are the three who most belong in the rock n roll hall of fame.