Summer Jams of Years Past

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Summer of 1985. Greek Isles. "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds. Inescapable.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You bring up an important signifier of summer jamness, though: reggae, reggaeton and merengue remixes. Also unofficial remixes featuring The Lox/Fifty/Cam.

I don't think the number of remixes has anything to do with the song being a summer jam.

Frontin got tons of remixes for a lot of reasons:

1. Tempo (Frontin was a little faster than most hip hop of 2003, and lent itself well to a variety of genres as a result)
    2. Key (the more monotone the vocal, the more remixes, and Pharrel cannot sing)
    3. Popularity (of course is part of it)
    4. The fact that the single had an a capella
    5. Crossover Capability (simple singing + rap always makes for a lot of dance styled remixes)

Official remixes aren't indicative of anything, but illegitimate remixes say that the song is so hot everybody wants to jump on it regardless of whether or not they were invited before they get left behind by the summer jam train. [color:#666666]*

"Remix" as used here doesn't mean an actual remix; we're talking about the original cut with a few more cameos on it. [/color]

• debardebar 215 Posts
    come on ya'll lets take it back

reaching back in my mind:
    1997 - Hypnotize/Mo Money Mo Problems
    1998 - Ruff Ryders Anthem/Hard Knock Life ???
    1999 - Da Rockwilder/My Name Is... ???
    2000 - Big Pimpin'/Ms. Jackson
    2001 - Let Me Blow Your Mind
    2002 - Hot In Herre
    2003 - Crazy In Love/Get Busy
    2004 - Lean Back
    2005 - still don't know

damn, when i get off work, i'll do some research

1999 - Da Rockwilder/My Name Is... ???
    2000 - Big Pimpin'/Ms. Jackson

I think "Big Pimpin'" was probably on its last legs by summer of '00--I think I remember "Yeah Papi" as having eclipsed it by that point. Maybe not.

And Eminem has never had a summer jam.

Otherwise, a pretty good list.

• What about 'Oh Boy' by Cam'Ron in 2002?

Was it that big outside of NY?

It was large here - my fondest memory being seeing that video at Alfie's Carribean Soul Food (RIP)

Don't know that it qualified as a singular Summer Jam though

What year was "Frontin"???

same, that and "excuse me miss" remix were killing at the clubs but not necessarily "the summer jawns"

Nah--"Frontin'" was '03, but it is automatically disqualified on account of being softbatch. I hate that record.

That might have been THE summer jam though.

All day on radio? Check
    Non-hip-hop stations? Check
    Video play? Check
    Remixes, reggae and otherwise? MURDERRROIIIIII!
    In the clurb? Check

(although, I never saw a club jump off to this record... it was always the "catch a breather"/"hit the bar" track)

How soon we forget:

SNOOP DOGG "BEAUTIFUL"

That and "Frontin'" were massive, massive Summer Jams. So big, in fact, that they had to be retired.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Official remixes aren't indicative of anything, but illegitimate remixes say that the song is so hot everybody wants to jump on it regardless of whether or not they were invited before they get left behind by the summer jam train. [color:#666666]*
    "Remix" as used here doesn't mean an actual remix; we're talking about the original cut with a few more cameos on it. [/color]

Alright, I guess I'll buy that, but to be honest, I've always been confused about calling a song a "remix" when it is the same song with a few new verses. The mix of the music (beat) itself doesn't get changed. Shouldn't it be called something like a "rehash?"

Alright, I guess I'll buy that, but to be honest, I've always been confused about calling a song a "remix" when it is the same song with a few new verses. The mix of the music (beat) itself doesn't get changed. Shouldn't it be called something like a "rehash?"

Definitely a misnomer, but people have been using the word that way for 10+ years now, and I think that's what most people who don't post on SoulStrut now understand "remix" to mean. Blame Puffy.

• I believe that 1982 summer would definitely go to

"Jack & Diane" by John Cougar

but what of 1983?
    I really think there could be a bloodthirsty fight over this one.
    Here's the 1983 Hot 100 for reference:

1. Every Breath You Take - Police
    2. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
    3. Flashdance... What A Feeling - Irene Cara
    4. Down Under - Men At Work
    5. Beat It - Michael Jackson
    6. Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
    7. Maneater - Daryl Hall & John Oates
    8. Baby Come To Me - Patti Austin & James Ingram
    9. Maniac - Michael Sembello
    10. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics
    11. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club
    12. You And I - Eddie Rabbitt & Crystal Gayle
    13. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
    14. Shame On The Moon - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
    15. She Works Hard For The Money - Donna Summer
    16. Never Gonna Let You Go - Sergio Mendes
    17. Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
    18. Let's Dance - David Bowie
    19. Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
    20. I Know There's Something Going On - Frida
    21. Jeopardy - Greg Kihn Band
    22. Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
    23. She Blinded Me Withh Science - Thomas Dolby
    24. Africa - Toto
    25. Little Red Corvette - Prince
    26. Back On The Chain Gang - Pretenders
    27. Up Where We Belong - Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes
    28. Mr. Roboto - Styx
    29. You Are - Lionel Richie
    30. Der Kommissar - After The Fire
    31. Puttin' On The Ritz - Taco
    32. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
    33. (Keep Feeling) Fascination - Human League
    34. Time (Clock Of The Heart) - Culture Club
    35. The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
    36. Mickey - Toni Basil
    37. You Can't Hurry Love - Phil Collins
    38. Separate Ways - Journey
    39. One On One - Daryl Hall & John Oates
    40. We've Got Tonight - Kenny Rogers & Sheena Easton
    41. 1999 - Prince
    42. Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
    43. Allentown - Billy Joel
    44. Stand Back - Stevie Nicks
    45. Tell Her About It - Billy Joel
    46. Always Somethmg There To Remind Me - Naked Eyes
    47. Truly - Lionel Richie
    48. Dirty Laundry - Don Henley
    49. The Girl Is Mine - Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney
    50. Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
    51. Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
    52. Rock The Casbah - Clash
    53. Our House - Madness
    54. Overkill - Men At Work
    55. Is There Something I Should Know - Duran Duran
    56. Gloria - Laura Branigan
    57. Affair Of The Heart - Rick Springfield
    58. She's A Beauty - Tubes
    59. Solitaire - Laura Branigan
    60. Don't Let It End - Styx
    61. How Am I Supposed To Live Without You - Laura Branigan
    62. China Girl - David Bowie
    63. Come Dancing - Kinks
    64. Promises, Promises - Naked Eyes
    65. The Other Guy - Little River Band
    66. Making Love Out Of Nothing At All - Air Supply
    67. Family Man - Daryl Hall & John Oates
    68. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson
    69. I Won't Hold You Back - Toto
    70. All Right - Christopher Cross
    71. Straight From The Heart - Bryan Adams
    72. Heart To Heart - Kenny Loggins
    73. My Love - Lionel Richie
    74. I'm Still Standing - Elton John
    75. Hot Girls In Love - Loverboy
    76. It's A Mistake - Men At Work
    77. I'll Tumble 4 Ya - Culture Club
    78. All This Love - Debarge
    79. Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy - Sammy Hagar
    80. Heartbreaker - Dionne Warwick
    81. Faithfully - Journey
    82. Steppin' Out - Joe Jackson
    83. Take Me To Heart - Quarterflash
    84. (She's) Sexy + 17 - Stray Cats
    85. Try Again - Champaign
    86. Dead Giveaway - Shalamar
    87. Lawyers In Love - Jackson Browne
    88. What About Me - Moving Pictures
    89. Human Nature - Michael Jackson
    90. Photograph - Def Leppard
    91. Pass The Dutchie - Musical Youth
    92. True - Spandau Ballet
    93. Far From Over - Frank Stallone
    94. I've Got A Rock 'N' Roll Heart - Eric Clapton
    95. It Might Be You - Stephen Bishop
    96. Tonight I Celebrate My Love - Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack
    97. You Got Lucky - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    98. Don't Cry - Asia
    99. Breaking Us In Two - Joe Jackson
    100. Fall In Love With Me - Earth, Wind & Fire

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Summer of 1780 Motzart's March in D

• 1993[/b] was definitely "Whoomp There It Is" by Tag Team.

I don't think there can even really be argument here.

Mention-worthy contenders:

"Whoot There It Is" by 95 South

"Rump Shaker" by Wrecks-n-Effect

"Nuthin But a G Thing" by Dr. Dre

"Dazzy Duks" by Duice

• "Nuthin But a G Thing" by Dr. Dre

This was it brah.

1993[/b] was definitely "Whoomp There It Is" by Tag Team.

I don't think there can even really be argument here.
    Mention-worthy contenders:

"Whoot There It Is" by 95 South
    "Rump Shaker" by Wrecks-n-Effect
    "Nuthin But a G Thing" by Dr. Dre
    "Dazzy Duks" by Duice

Populist

• "Ghostbusters" -- 1984

I don't know, man, maybe the movie was, but not the song.
    I'm going with "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins...wack movie,
    better summer jam.
    It's FOOTLOOSE.
    I will fight about this, or what.

But before this gets out of hand, I would like to remind
    you all that 1984 was the summer of [color:purple] Purple Rain.[/b] [/color]

Purple Rain, can it get any more summar jam than?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    What about "Full Year Jams"? Or "Decade Jams"? Or fuck it, "Century Jams"? Why limit this shit to summers?

In all honesty, this thread has proven to me how ridiculous it is to christen just one song a "Summer Jam" of a particular year. The popularity level between "Pon De Replay," "Hollaback Girl," and "Welcome to Jamrock" (and other Summer Jam candidates) is largely negligible given that literally millions of people like(d) all three of these songs immensely this summer. A week ago I was kinda of the "there's one summer jam" ilk. Now i think the emynd from a week ago that thought that is an idiot.

You're an idiot lastweek's-emynd.

::sonned::

-e

In all honesty, this thread has proven to me how ridiculous it is to christen just one song a "Summer Jam" of a particular year.

Besides prompting a nostalgic reconnection with our younger selves of summers past, that was the point of the exercise.

• seriously, were you dudes checking for "summer jams" way back when?

i mean, despite album sales and top 100 charting, i can only remember what i liked during the summer and i dont think it had much to do with the science you all are trying to apply to it all.

anyways, most my summer jams revolved around really shitty movie soundtracks. like ghostbusters, back to the future, footloose, and tron. yes i used to sing that tron song.

neer neer neer
    neer neer neer neer neeeeer neeeeer neeeeeer neeeeeer

In all honesty, this thread has proven to me how ridiculous it is to christen just one song a "Summer Jam" of a particular year.

Besides prompting a nostalgic reconnection with our younger selves of summers past, that was the point of the exercise.

Well, there may be some gray area on a couple years, but not as much as this thread would leave one to believe. I stated that IMO a summer jam is track that is released as a single during the summer, not a track that is released prior and is still popular. This was completely disregarded by most people. And, of course, the further we go back the harder it is to tell exactly what time of year a single is released without a little research. So, Faux- to get back to our little discussion, I said that in almost every one of the last five years a single song ruled as a summer jam and here is my list:

2004- Lean Back
    2003- Get Low
    2002- Hot in Herre
    2001- Izzo (Thanks, JP)
    2000 - Big Pimpin'/Ms. Jackson (Thanks, debar)

Some may argue, but I think this proves the point I was trying to make.

I stated that IMO a summer jam is track that is released as a single during the summer, not a track that is released prior and is still popular. This was completely disregarded by most people.

It was disregarded because it's not realistic.

It usually takes several months for a record to acquire the type of mass crossover audience it needs to contend for summer jam status, so most official summer jams are necessarily released in advance of summer.

Word to Shig. How you lovin' that weird science?

• oh shit kelly lebrock!

I stated that IMO a summer jam is track that is released as a single during the summer, not a track that is released prior and is still popular. This was completely disregarded by most people.

It was disregarded because it's not realistic.

Ok, a month or two no problem, April in TX is pretty hot anyway.

BUT- a single released in the winter that carries over? C'mon. Tracks don't usually take half a year to get picked up. And most tracks that people mentioned were hits long before summer.

It usually takes several months for a record to acquire the type of mass crossover audience it needs to contend for summer jam status, so most official summer jams are necessarily released in advance of summer.

What, like three months? How long is your summer, a week?

• When was Meth and Mary? 94 or 95?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

BUT- a single released in the winter that carries over? C'mon. Tracks don't usually take half a year to get picked up. And most tracks that people mentioned were hits long before summer.

Dude, just as one example of how wrong the above is: southern shit takes a looooooong time to blow out on the east coast. I bought a Killa Kuts of "Gimme That" like a month ago only to realize I had it on the b-side of some other Killa Kuts from like 6 months ago. Shit doesn't just get released and magically become popular. Shit takes time. Amerie's "One Thing" dropped in like October of 2004 and wasn't really hitting until February of 2005 or some shit.

-e

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Dude, just as one example of how wrong the above is: southern shit takes a looooooong time to blow out on the east coast. I bought a Killa Kuts of "Gimme That" like a month ago only to realize I had it on the b-side of some other Killa Kuts from like 6 months ago. Shit doesn't just get released and magically become popular. Shit takes time. Amerie's "One Thing" dropped in like October of 2004 and wasn't really hitting until February of 2005 or some shit.

word... and it gets even worse than that. "gimme that" and "bad bitch" were originally local hits on trill entertainment 12" like a year ago...

• In all honesty, this thread has proven to me how ridiculous it is to christen just one song a "Summer Jam" of a particular year.

2004- Lean Back
    2003- Get Low
    2002- Hot in Herre
    2001- Izzo (Thanks, JP)

I think "Get Low" was released pre-summer and built up steam (outside of the South) during the summer months. Overall, I think picking one single "summer jam" is pretty stupid. Maybe the songs you all are picking are the ones that last beyond the summer. For example, I think I heard "Slow Motion" just as much as "Lean Back" last summer, but "Slow Motion" fizzled out at the end of the season and "Lean Back" did not. Just a thought. ::salma::

-e

And reggae takes from one to five years.

-e

Ok, it happens, but it isn't usually the norm. Often this happens when a track is very different sounding from what people are used to, and both of your examples are perfect illustrations of this fact.

Amerie is a sample based track that sounds MAD different from most of the productions on the radio right now.

Of course southern ish takes a while to spread- it is a pretty regional sound. NY stuff can take a while to get south, same with Cali to NY or any regional shift. I may have been a little short sighted, but these are bad examples.

Look at the tracks I picked, all came out in warm weather and owned the summer, why is that so hard to see as a summer jam?

edit: reconsidered a bit, and I'll dispute what I said, tracks can take a while to catch, I jumped to conclusions. aight.

• I think "Get Low" was released pre-summer and built up steam (outside of the South) during the summer months.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

both of these were winter singles. 'miss jackson' didn't even exist in summer 2000.

i don't have the mental capacity to figure out what actually was the summer hits of those year. this thread hurts my brain and has me going "no.. no.. that came out in the fall" a lot.

I think "Get Low" was released pre-summer and built up steam (outside of the South) during the summer months.

Oh, hello meistro, you want beef?

Alright, whatever, agree to disagree (and if I am wrong about Get Low, I'll take it back).

Everyone on this board was arguing the summer jam ish for the last month, I know where I stand.

word... and it gets even worse than that. "gimme that" and "bad bitch" were originally local hits on trill entertainment 12" like a year ago...

Yeah, I think both those cuts originally appeared on Webbie & Boosie's Gangsta Musik album, and are now not only being included on, but are serving as the singles for, Webbie's current album in order to take full advantage of the fact that it's taken a year plus for the hype to build.