Booker or Coltrane ? (or other tenors?)

2»

Comments

• InnerSpace said:
    tabira said:
    InnerSpace said:
    funky16corners said:
    I love Coltrane but have to say that I enjoy listening to Ervin almost as much.

For some reason this thread started kinda odd. Can we even compare Booker to Coltrane? I listen to them both for different reasons. They seem to be in separate categories IMHO. Maybe let's compare Coltrane to Shorter. Or maybe Booker to McLean. Hubbard to Miles. Hancock to Tyner. But Coltrane is a monster for different reasons than Ervin.

For most Coltrane is the undisputed giant of that decade - so I guess that I wanted to dispute that and provoke a response. Bet yeah they're not in the same bag - though I don't think that BE was in any other bag than his own.

He actually WAS the undisputed giant on the sax of the 60's. I think any other musician during that time would have said that as well, let alone any jazz lover now. I think that if you are going to try and dispute that, especially with Booker Ervin, you might need some more evidence than just your own personal tastes. Cause that sounds like what you are saying. Not to diminish your tastes or Booker for that matter, but Coltrane has that clout for that decade and for good reason. As far as all time greatest sax players, not just because of name recognition or innovation in jazz (what Coltrane is mainly known for), Henderson still does it for me. Just look at his colossal career that lasted up until 1997, 2001 was the year of his death. Here are the reasons:

Versatility: could play all style extremely well. Hard bop (Page One, Inner Urge), Post bop (Herbie Hancock- Speak Like a Child or Prisoner), Jazz Fusion (Canyon Lady and Herbie Hancock- Fat Albert Rotunda), Boogaloo (Lee Morgan- Sidewinder), Avant Garde (Andrew Hill albums), Latin (Horace Silver albums), Funk (Coke Escovedo- Comin at ya and Roy Ayers- Daddy Bug & Friends), Spiritual Jazz (Alice Coltrane- Ptah the El Daoud & Joe Henderson- The Elements), Rock (Blood, Sweat and Tears) and I could go on...

Who he worked with: Horace Silver, Kenny Dorham, Grant Green, Lee Morgan, Andrew Hill, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, Duke Pearson, McCoy Tyner, Alice Coltrane, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Roy Ayers, Johnny Hammond, Roy Hargrove, Chick Corea, Antonio Diaz, Johnny Coles, etc. etc. etc.

He was also a gentle, humble man that was loved by all who knew him. So many outstanding musicians could not be wrong that this man was incredible and who everyone wanted on their album.

Funny - I had edited my previous post before yours and took out the "dispute" reference that I thought was too strident - but it still reappeared in your reply! No I don't think I could argue on an objective basis that Coltrane wasn't the giant that he was. It's as you say just a question of personal taste at the moment the needle hits the wax. Regarding Henderson's versatility this track always blows me away - even better funk solo that the one he did on leaving this planet (IMO of course!):

• Anyone mention this one yet:

That was always my favorite of his stuff.

Overall, though, nothing is topping Coltrane.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts