Booker or Coltrane ? (or other tenors?)

tabiratabira 856 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I'm for BE. He had it all: pure emotion, swagger, soul, Ammons-like big tone, technique, blues and not afraid to play out as well as in. Coltrane was a great visionary and innovator but on a pure gut level doesn't hit me as much.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Controversy!!!

I don't know enough about Booker to comment - what is worth checking? I am not a fan of anything too out, regardless of who is doing it; it has to swing. Let me know 'bout dem Booker gold.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Controversy!!!

I don't know enough about Booker to comment - what is worth checking? I am not a fan of anything too out, regardless of who is doing it; it has to swing. Let me know 'bout dem Booker gold.

Pretty much all of his Prestige records are prime, especially the 'Book' series. Also check his Candid and Savoy dates.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Thanks Horse, will be checking those.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    You have to include Wayne Shorter in any tenor discussion. He did all of the things you mention (swing, play with soul, take it out, etc.), plus he was one of the greatest composers of the era as well. Up there right next to Trane in my book.

• If I had to pick it would be Coltrane. Booker's Space Book and Freedom Book are a couple of my favs but when it comes to raw emotion, nothing is better than Coltrane. But neither win out for me as the top tenor player. Joe Henderson does! There has never been a more versatile ts player. He is bluesy, soulful, free, avant, smooth as hell, monsterous and I could keep on going. Just look at his discography. Also he has played with everyone. Everyone. Check out his solo on Idle Moments by Grant Green and also the entire Power to the People album. Here are some of my picks:

• asstro said:
    You have to include Wayne Shorter in any tenor discussion. He did all of the things you mention (swing, play with soul, take it out, etc.), plus he was one of the greatest composers of the era as well. Up there right next to Trane in my book.

Shorter was def one of the best composers. Speak No Evil is pure evidence of that.

• sonny rollins yo

• InnerSpace said:
    But neither win out for me as the top tenor player. Joe Henderson does!

Yes, I love some Joe Henderson. Particularly the "Basra" album with Pete La Roca which you posted a clip from above.

And in many ways I consider "Inner Urge" to be the best album Coltrane never made; it's backed by McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones so has the classic Coltrane quartet sound and has Joe Henderson on the top of his game, especially on something like "El Barrio" where he manages to go out there but keep in incredibly soulful at the same time.

• cookbook said:
    sonny rollins yo

I'd put Sonny and Dexter Gordon in the same boat. Both were incredible and could blow but never played anything outside of what they did best.

• neil_something said:
    InnerSpace said:
    But neither win out for me as the top tenor player. Joe Henderson does!

Yes, I love some Joe Henderson. Particularly the "Basra" album with Pete La Roca which you posted a clip from above.

And in many ways I consider "Inner Urge" to be the best album Coltrane never made; it's backed by McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones so has the classic Coltrane quartet sound and has Joe Henderson on the top of his game, especially on something like "El Barrio" where he manages to go out there but keep in incredibly soulful at the same time.

And then you have albums that he played so skillfully on like Andrew Hill's Point of Departure and Black Fire that are completely different from anything else he did. And that same year he records Song for My Father with Horace Silver. Just brilliant.

• neil_something said:
    "El Barrio" where he manages to go out there but keep in incredibly soulful at the same time.

El Barrio is the best single thing he ever did. Unlike anything else on wax. Stunning track. He was also recorded better on this piece than any other IMO with a bigger fatter tone than on later recordings. I'm a sucka for players with a wide expansive sound like Ammons, Ervin and Lateef and some, but not all Henderson.

• InnerSpace said:
    Joe Henderson ....his solo on Idle Moments by Grant Green

YES!

Coltrane is my #1 inspiration/hero, not just on tenor, not just in music, but for everything in life...

aside from Trane, Shorter gets my nod- ridiculously profound as a composer, incredible as soloist and arranger, great bandleader too. As much as everyone acknowledges Shorter's genius, in my opinion he's STILL underrated, and that's saying something.

Sonny Rollins gets a special shout out for the incredible structure/logic of his improvisations- that shit is as sound as any classic architecture right there...

but getting back to your quote, I'll take Joe Henderson when it comes to tone, and yes- his "Idle Moments" solo is what I point to when I want to say 'THIS is how i want the tenor saxophone to sound'. to me the only better sax sound might be Trane on a ballad like the "Lush Life" he recorded on Impulse or the "Body and Soul" he recorded on Atlantic

lastly, while we're naming a lot of great tenor players, I'll give a dark-horse shout to Clifford Jordan. while not on the level of Trane, Wayne, or Sonny (i mean come on- that is like the highest level of human civilization right there), Jordan's Glass Bead Games LP is on some seriously righteous knowledge-of-self type shit. doesn't get much better...

• Since we're talking tenors let's not forget Hank Mobley - a great composer, arranger and player with one of the most beautiful sounds ever. One of the true architects of hard Bop.

• Horseleech said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Controversy!!!

Pretty much all of his Prestige records are prime, especially the 'Book' series. Also check his Candid and Savoy dates.
    Basically all Booker is great except his stiff on Pacific which is so so. The In Between on BN has some very good moment especially the title track and the Tyra track I posted above

• leisurebandit said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Joe Henderson ....his solo on Idle Moments by Grant Green

YES!

Coltrane is my #1 inspiration/hero, not just on tenor, not just in music, but for everything in life...

aside from Trane, Shorter gets my nod- ridiculously profound as a composer, incredible as soloist and arranger, great bandleader too. As much as everyone acknowledges Shorter's genius, in my opinion he's STILL underrated, and that's saying something.

Sonny Rollins gets a special shout out for the incredible structure/logic of his improvisations- that shit is as sound as any classic architecture right there...

but getting back to your quote, I'll take Joe Henderson when it comes to tone, and yes- his "Idle Moments" solo is what I point to when I want to say 'THIS is how i want the tenor saxophone to sound'. to me the only better sax sound might be Trane on a ballad like the "Lush Life" he recorded on Impulse or the "Body and Soul" he recorded on Atlantic

lastly, while we're naming a lot of great tenor players, I'll give a dark-horse shout to Clifford Jordan. while not on the level of Trane, Wayne, or Sonny (i mean come on- that is like the highest level of human civilization right there), Jordan's Glass Bead Games LP is on some seriously righteous knowledge-of-self type shit. doesn't get much better...

Clifford Jordan doesn't get the creds he deserves! Glass Bead Games is such a genius album. One of the best from Strata.

Coltrane is that for most people... inspiration. It is impossible not to be moved by him.

I love the honorable mentions too! Hank Mobley is a giant that should be in the same breath as Rollins and Gordon.

One guy that hasn't been mentioned is Jackie McLean. He is an acquired taste but what a unique sound! You can always tell it is him.

• One if my favorite tenor solos is Shorter on Blakey's "Free for All"...he bites some Coltrane on it, but man is it ever powerful.

Cosign on the Henderson..."Inner Urge" is indeed great...

Any love for Sam Rivers? Tyrone Washington?

• Seldom mentioned with the greats, but this album is a masterpiece:

One of my favorite ballads, done as well as anybody has done it.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    One if my favorite tenor solos is Shorter on Blakey's "Free for All"...he bites some Coltrane on it, but man is it ever powerful.

Cosign on the Henderson..."Inner Urge" is indeed great...

Any love for Sam Rivers? Tyrone Washington?

I'll give major love to Sam Rivers. His solo on Point of Many Returns is unmatched and one of my fav albums is Fuschia Swing Song.

• And speaking of 'I Remember Clifford', it's composer Benny Golson was also an under-rated player:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm not really feeling that loose bluesy swagger schitt BE is laying down in that top clip. Too many bad associations; too many tired licks. Blues is almost a bad word in that context. Up-tempo, on time, and in tune is where it's at.

• Reynaldo said:
    I'm not really feeling that loose bluesy swagger schitt BE is laying down in that top clip. Too many bad associations; too many tired licks. Blues is almost a bad word in that context. Up-tempo, on time, and in tune is where it's at.
    then check out the title track of the same LP - very up tempo, pulsating track with rapid advanced-bop soloing. No blues, just red hot

• slept on Blue Note LP

• I love Coltrane but have to say that I enjoy listening to Ervin almost as much.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    slept on Blue Note LP

Alright, you sold me. I am all over this album and yes I have slept on it! My next purchase. Thanks for the...Hook Up.

• funky16corners said:
    I love Coltrane but have to say that I enjoy listening to Ervin almost as much.

For some reason this thread started kinda odd. Can we even compare Booker to Coltrane? I listen to them both for different reasons. They seem to be in separate categories IMHO. Maybe let's compare Coltrane to Shorter. Or maybe Booker to McLean. Hubbard to Miles. Hancock to Tyner. But Coltrane is a monster for different reasons than Ervin.

• InnerSpace said:
    funky16corners said:

For some reason this thread started kinda odd. Can we even compare Booker to Coltrane? I listen to them both for different reasons. They seem to be in separate categories IMHO. Maybe let's compare Coltrane to Shorter. Or maybe Booker to McLean. Hubbard to Miles. Hancock to Tyner. But Coltrane is a monster for different reasons than Ervin.

That's four more threads you've come up with worth exploring. For many Coltrane is the undisputed giant of the 60s (and for some of jazz as a whole). That said Booker's always been my favourite tenor of the 60s so for me there's always been this natural sparring of the two in terms of greatness and decade, even though they weren't in the same bag. Though Coltrane had his followers during his lifetime noone ever "followed" Booker. He was in a bag all of his own and I think deserves greater recognition.

• yes that Tyrone Washington record KILLS and
    Fuschia Swing Song is one of the all-time great tenor sax records

• I love them both... probably I know Coltrane better than Ervin so at the moment I'd pick him for this reason alone

• tabira said:
    InnerSpace said:
    funky16corners said:

For most Coltrane is the undisputed giant of that decade - so I guess that I wanted to dispute that and provoke a response. Bet yeah they're not in the same bag - though I don't think that BE was in any other bag than his own.

He actually WAS the undisputed giant on the sax of the 60's. I think any other musician during that time would have said that as well, let alone any jazz lover now. I think that if you are going to try and dispute that, especially with Booker Ervin, you might need some more evidence than just your own personal tastes. Cause that sounds like what you are saying. Not to diminish your tastes or Booker for that matter, but Coltrane has that clout for that decade and for good reason. As far as all time greatest sax players, not just because of name recognition or innovation in jazz (what Coltrane is mainly known for), Henderson still does it for me. Just look at his colossal career that lasted up until 1997, 2001 was the year of his death. Here are the reasons:

Versatility: could play all style extremely well. Hard bop (Page One, Inner Urge), Post bop (Herbie Hancock- Speak Like a Child or Prisoner), Jazz Fusion (Canyon Lady and Herbie Hancock- Fat Albert Rotunda), Boogaloo (Lee Morgan- Sidewinder), Avant Garde (Andrew Hill albums), Latin (Horace Silver albums), Funk (Coke Escovedo- Comin at ya and Roy Ayers- Daddy Bug & Friends), Spiritual Jazz (Alice Coltrane- Ptah the El Daoud & Joe Henderson- The Elements), Rock (Blood, Sweat and Tears) and I could go on...

Who he worked with: Horace Silver, Kenny Dorham, Grant Green, Lee Morgan, Andrew Hill, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, Duke Pearson, McCoy Tyner, Alice Coltrane, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Roy Ayers, Johnny Hammond, Roy Hargrove, Chick Corea, Antonio Diaz, Johnny Coles, etc. etc. etc.

He was also a gentle, humble man that was loved by all who knew him. So many outstanding musicians could not be wrong that this man was incredible and who everyone wanted on their album.

• [quote

Joe Henderson...

Who he worked with: Horace Silver, Kenny Dorham, Grant Green, Lee Morgan, Andrew Hill, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, Duke Pearson, McCoy Tyner, Alice Coltrane, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Roy Ayers, Johnny Hammond, Roy Hargrove, Chick Corea, Antonio Diaz, Johnny Coles, etc. etc. etc.

with Charles Earland on the "Leaving this planet" sessions ! Joe's playing on that album is outstanding...