Photography Strut - Pics you shot recently

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    most of the pics i took lately have been on my phone. Here's some that weren't on my phone

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Photos of my workplace as captured by my phone. The iPhone puts my Droid to shame : (

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I was making a time lapse this week and this was one of the frames:

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

What'd I say?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Almond said:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtd said:

That's a killer shot.

• RAJ said:

Don't get me wrong, I like film. But digital allows for more guilt free trial and error when experimenting with different shots. Good film and a good lab can be pricey... especially if you are like me when you want prints and scans to a CD.

I have experimented with medium format film and you have to be willing to eat some costs. It does force you to think about your shot as each picture is $$$.

I'm unsure about the benefits of digital for progressing fast in photography. I see the advantages especially when you're instructing other people in photography. You can explain the effects of changes in aperture, focus lenght and exposure time and show the effects immediately which is a very helpful thing. But I learned that being forced to think carefully about every shot you do leads to much better results. Also the disappointment of having to wait a few days just to discover you messed up your shots makes you try harder the next time.
    The quality of medium format film (or even large format) is still unmatched IMO and buying a second hand Mamiya or Rollei still is much cheaper than getting a digital equivalent. Still I see the advantages of digital SLRs and I will use both film and digital in the future. Heart belongs to analogue though.

• There is no substitute for learning about light, how grey scales work, lens speeds, depth of focus, the relationship between film speed, aperture and light. I always thought 80% of the fun in photography was the film, developing and darkroom process and I had my first basic b/w darkroom when I was in 6th grade. I would recommend any of the Photographers Handbooks by Sussman published in the 50s and 60s for beginning photographers and Ansel Adams The Negatve. And a basic book on composition helps.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=sussman+photographers+handbook&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ansel+adams+negative&_sacat=0&_odkw=adams+negative&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

disco_che said:
    PrimeCutsLtd said:

That's a killer shot.

thanks! I pass that place on the way to work. I kept saying to myself, I got to take a pic of that.

• Some great shots already. These were taken this summer when we took a little time to get out of town. The thing about kids and photography is that they tend to dominate.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    You guyz are killin' it with the shots. So much talent.

If I get a chance later I'll post some photos instead of iphone pics.

• My iphone has been making me neglect my real camera recently, I feel bad about it but i love the hipstamatic app sooo much

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

Plus, here's some shots I scanned recently that I took in high school about 9 years ago for a b+w photo class. Some friends and I broke into an abandoned train station:

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Whoa! This has been the most consistently solid photo thread I've seen on the Strut so far. I always check them too. Hawt Shawts!

The sun setting over my fence

4th of July Slip and Slide

Scored a Fisheye camera at a Garage Sale:

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I have an app called FxCam that allows me to take toy camera-type photos. I took some at work today.

• Options
    beautiful, without a doubt

...i'm on air now

My old stomping ground, by the look of it. Taken from Hulme side, somewhere about Durty Nellys?

• J i m s t e r said:

My old stomping ground, by the look of it. Taken from Hulme side, somewhere about Durty Nellys?

It's from the temporary council offices behind the railway bridge on Whitworth Street, what's a Durty Nelly and why don't i know about it?!?

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    wow guys looking good. The iphone camera actually looks really good. What kind of settings can you change on it ?
    I just picked up film for my fisheye lomo that i bought months ago and have never got around to using.

• kicks79 said:
    wow guys looking good. The iphone camera actually looks really good. What kind of settings can you change on it ?
    I just picked up film for my fisheye lomo that i bought months ago and have never got around to using.

The hipstamatic thing on iphone lets you choose combinations of lens, film & flash, but once you've taken the shot you can't make any changes to them. Loads of people moan about that but that kind of misses the point of the whole "toy camera" thing IMO. there's loads of other good camera apps but i like this one best despite the shitty name.

I've tried doing some HDR stuff on the new built in camera software on the iphone 4 but it hasn't really given me any nice results yet

• kicks79 said:

I've tried doing some HDR stuff on the new built in camera software on the iphone 4 but it hasn't really given me any nice results yet

HDR is the Autotune of Photography. Basically a useful invention but it's effect is constantly overdone to an extent that makes me want to puke if I ever see one of these shitty nightshots again. Don't use it, it's shit.

• Some photos from a recent trip I took to Nicaragua

Had some work done around the old place, also gave me an opportunity to (try to) use the Panno mode...

Home-furnishing special for Edith: (vrai balleurs have matching silk on the walls and sofas)

• Newish shit that I have been working on. Presentation size is 30x40.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's the last digital group I made.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Jared-Watsabaugh/718127

here's some motorola droid shots i took recently

• Pics I shot with my iphone while driving around Philly-

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

Who can I talk to about these erroneous apostrophes?