San Bruno Fire

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Watching some footage now. San Bruno looks like a warzone. Hope all y'all bay area strutters and your families are safe.

Comments

• HOLY FUUUCK! THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!

THOUGHTS N PRAYERS TO SAN BRUNO

• Options
    Isn't it ghastly?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    my grandmothers house was 4 doors down from the explosion. ghastly isnt even close enough to the truth.

in the past ive watched the fires destroying homes in LA and think how awful for those people who lost homes, possessions, animals, family and then can change the channel to find something else to watch. this time i cant change the channel. what you see on tv isnt even half of the reality that my family and i are living. there is SO much more drama than the 2-3 minute news clips you see or read in the paper. its beyond devastating...

nothing will ever be the same again.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    jinx74 said:
    my grandmothers house was 4 doors down from the explosion. ghastly isnt even close enough to the truth.

in the past ive watched the fires destroying homes in LA and think how awful for those people who lost homes, possessions, animals, family and then can change the channel to find something else to watch. this time i cant change the channel. what you see on tv isnt even half of the reality that my family and i are living. there is SO much more drama than the 2-3 minute news clips you see or read in the paper. its beyond devastating...

Justin: I'm really sorry to hear this. Is your family at least physically ok? I'm assuming the house is not. Me and the fam's thoughts are with yours.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    jinx74 said:

Justin: I'm really sorry to hear this. Is your family at least physically ok? I'm assuming the house is not. Me and the fam's thoughts are with yours.

my grandmothers bones were found out in front of the house. my uncle and two aunts are at the st francis burn unit. my uncle hopefully will get out of there in 6-12mths. my aunts 2-3yrs if they even survive. the house is gone. completely. there is nothing positive for me to say. were worried that my uncle wont be able to walk again. my aunts are going to lose limbs. this is the reality of having serious burns that i never realized or ever thought of. i had no idea how bad it could get... or is going to get. everything is just so unbelieveable and my family is a mess. everything is fucked right now.

• It's possible that these incidents will become much more common as gas lines across the country age.

My uncle worked for a New England gas utility and said this would happen years ago. He said that they found pipes that had completely corroded and the gas was just traveling through a cylindrical tunnel in the ground. Basically, they only check them when they are losing a substantial amount of gas.

Hope your family is OK, Jinx.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Holy shit, Jinx, that's really horrible news to hear. All the best to you and your family.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    My thoughts are with your family Justin. RIP to your grandmother, really really sorry to hear about this.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    From what I understand, there are 3 other NG lines in the Peninsula that are similar to the one that exploded. Caltrans has ordered PG&E to examine these other lines ASAP. :roll:

A co-worker of mine lives 2 blocks away from where this went down and lost a close friend who lived in the destroyed area. Some heavy shit that nobody should ever have to deal with.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Unherd said:
    My thoughts are with your family Justin. RIP to your grandmother, really really sorry to hear about this.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I still can't believe this happened in San Bruno.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Almond said:
    Unherd said:

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Damn man, I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope the rest of your family pulls through.

• Unherd said:

• Rockadelic said:
    Almond said:
    Unherd said:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    So sorry to hear about your grandmother and your family, Justin. All the best to you and your family--I hope you are holding up as well as can be expected at a time like this.

• I'm really sorry for your loss and everything your family is going through. What a horrible disaster.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jinx, wish there was something I could do or say to make it better.
    Thoughts and prayers are with you.

• LaserWolf said:
    Jinx, wish there was something I could do or say to make it better.
    Thoughts and prayers are with you.

• My god. Jinx I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this.

• Options
    street_muzik said:
    My god. Jinx I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just: damn...I had no idea. Just to echo everyone else but my sincerest condolences to you and your family. Hugs to you, Bev and the baby.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Almond said:
    Unherd said:

• Holy shit, J*****, I am so sorry to hear about all of this awful news. If there is anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to get in touch. Seriously man, my heart goes out to you and yours and I can only hope that things are beginning to look up.

• That was rough reading that. I'm really sorry Justin.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Justin, my heart goes out to you and your family. I'm so sorry. You know where to find me. If there's anything I can do don't hesitate to reach out.

• Jinx prayers sent your your to you and your family.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Jesus. I had no idea about this until after I talked to you the other day, Justin. Just absolutely terrible. My condolences to you & your family.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Praying for your family day and night Justin. Such an awful tragedy. Get at me if there's anything I can do.

Soulstrut Legal(TM)
    JRoot

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've never met Justin and only know him from SS but this really struck a chord with me and I thought about it all day yesterday....when I got home I read a few stories about Ms. Torres who sounded like a very neat woman, matriarch of her family and the neighborhood who liked gardening. Reminded me very much of my Grandma who practically raised me and whom I lost(to natural causes) many years ago. This made me stop and think about my grandmother which I probably don't do often enough.

When my landscaper comes by next week I am going to ask him to plant a tree in a spot in my back yard and as it grows I'll think of all the grandmothers who have held their families together and given them unconditional love.

And Justin, if there is ever a similar memorial planned for your grandmother in the future I would like to have the honor to donate to the cause.

Be strong.