Who here scratches and back spin with their mega rares?

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I saw a few clips on youtube where people actually scratch mix with mega rare records. I was curious to know who here does that? i'd be worried to do damage to my old priceless vinyl by using them as scratch records.

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    before Serato, before reissues. There was no other choice... I've been DJing now for a good 15+ years, so been there, done that. Also sold records back in the day, I thought I would never like that I regret. Used to buy records with the intent to play them out... getting doubles of that rap 12" that you wanted for ages, regardless of the cost, the first thing you'd do is cut it up....

Damn, I miss those days... kenny, where you at?

• djsheep said:
    before Serato, before reissues. There was no other choice...

That's true, there was no other choice back in the day (pre Ebay, Popsike, Gemm). But back then records were a fraction of what they sell for now. My stomach turns when I see someone cut up a $300 Skull Snaps or a $600 Nathan Davis LP. I'd be worried about wearing out the grooves and cue burns.

• Not that I'm doing all the routines but records are a medium for me. I handle them with care but don't think a minute about what could happen to them when I spin them. It's like record-karma, when you are in for the music and not for the coolness or whatever then nothing happens it seems. I've mishandled a lot of records in the club but hat never any serious issues besides a click or a pop here and there. Resell value will go down the drain but I don't care - sold nearly everything I've had around 2001 and most of what I musically miss I can buy for a lot less nowadays(ok that i broke my second copy of byard lancaster on palm in two halfs will haunt me for a while ...)

• Manduro3000 said:
    djsheep said:
    before Serato, before reissues. There was no other choice...

That's true, there was no other choice back in the day (pre Ebay, Popsike, Gemm). But back then records were a fraction of what they sell for now. My stomach turns when I see someone cut up a $300 Skull Snaps or a $600 Nathan Davis LP. I'd be worried about wearing out the grooves and cue burns.

But the $xxxx is more or less an artificial value made by the market. What's relevant for me is the personal value. I rather trash a $300 popsike record than a $1 record which reminds me of special times or whatever!

• Options
    Though I don't scratch or backspin, except with hiphop/freestyle house, I occasionally need to play in the sun. I try to beat the heat and keep the decks cool by shading them with the covers.

Someone said, "it is better to burn out than to fade away."

• I totally do not give a shit and will mix mega-rare records if they are in my personal collection and I know for a fact they are not going to be sold any time soon.

If I'm playing something that I just happen to have, and am planning on selling, I am mega-careful.

But honestly, I own these for a reason. Playing them out is a big part of that. I don't own them to gaze upon their majesty and consider their value as an "investment". Fuck all that noise. Dudes need to grow a sack sometimes!

• Options
    Not as an "investment," ya. But still something you might want to give to your kids.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I totally do not give a shit and will mix mega-rare records if they are in my personal collection and I know for a fact they are not going to be sold any time soon.

I'll backspin the intro break to my 2 copies of the "I Believe In Miracles" 45, or my Ritual doubles all day long. Even Aposento Alto got the beat juggle treatment.

My collection ain't a museum, son!

• Yeah it kills me too to see people scratching raers. Can't you just play it without scratching? Few people will notice the difference, especially if it's a good record.

Even if you forget about the $ value aspect, you are harming your own copy and it won't sound as good the next time you listen to it!

As you well know, lots of people spend a ton of time and money to find these records in the best condition they can, so I think it's disrespectful to treat rare pieces like that.
    When I find a record I've been looking for and it has cue burn, it totally sucks!
    You may say, "Oh but it's my personal copy and I'll never sell it", but you will die some day and it will end up in someone else's hands.

• I do/will.

salt- yup
    hot, funky & sweaty, yup
    i got what you need- yup
    etc, etc...

all them shits get the cut, although I try to keep the cuts on styrene to a minimum.

• lilmonstu said:
    Not as an "investment," ya. But still something you might want to give to your kids.

your kids will just laugh at you and pester you to buy them an upgrade for the apple iChip that is inserted in their frontal lobe.

I can understand not wanting to burn some favorites, but records are just records. You can't take them with you when you die and, as Thes mentioned recently, the majority of the fun of records is looking for them. It'd be great to pass records along to your kids, but it's true that the fun is in the search and the people you meet as a result of the search.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Yeah it kills me too to see people scratching raers. Can't you just play it without scratching? Few people will notice the difference, especially if it's a good record.

Even if you forget about the $ value aspect, you are harming your own copy and it won't sound as good the next time you listen to it!

As you well know, lots of people spend a ton of time and money to find these records in the best condition they can, so I think it's disrespectful to treat rare pieces like that.
    When I find a record I've been looking for and it has cue burn, it totally sucks!
    You may say, "Oh but it's my personal copy and I'll never sell it", but you will die some day and it will end up in someone else's hands.

I guess this post sums up the difference between the trading card boutique types and the music lovers...

• I don't think music lover is a trait exclusive to turntablist DJs, that's quite a stretch...I'm a 45 DJ, no tricks, just playing tunes, matching tempos and such and I would consider my self a music lover because I don't back cue $200 styrene junts(although I more than likely didn't pay that for it) because I would like the music I play out and listen to to be cue burn free...and I find most of my records in the non boutique world. So I guess "music lover" is a subjective term...

djsheep said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Yeah it kills me too to see people scratching raers. Can't you just play it without scratching? Few people will notice the difference, especially if it's a good record.

I guess this post sums up the difference between the trading card boutique types and the music lovers...

• My buddy DJentrification in Phoenix does not give a fuck about rares or condition and tapes up and doubles shit like Kit Ream. First time I went to his house and saw all this raer with tape all over the labels and out of the sleeves I was kind of horrified. Then we go out at night and watch him kill it and its kind of theraputic to get to that level of not being obsessed anymore.

• My buddy DJentrification in Phoenix does not give a fuck about rares or condition and tapes up and doubles shit like Kit Ream. First time I went to his house and saw all this raer with tape all over the labels and out of the sleeves I was kind of horrified. Then we go out at night and watch him kill it and its kind of theraputic to get to that level of not being obsessed anymore.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I thought scratching was pass?? anyway. Just play the song.

• Controller_7 said:
    iChip
    :get_on_my_level:

• I guess the main point is... it's your records, do as you wish. I usually avoid buying records from people I know who scratch their rarers for fear of groove damage. And if i get a record off of ebay and the record is worn from dj'ing and that was not mentioned in the grade or description I usually ask for a partial refund or just send the record back.

Yes, my collection gets pampered. I usually play every new record I get once and burn it onto my computer. I then file my album away in a plastic sleeves and called it a day. If I want to hear an lp I can just pull it up on the computer and even burn it to cd. And before you ask why I bother to even collect the vinyl, its because it's easier for me to sample from a vinyl copy than it is an mps or cd burn.

At the end of the day it's all about how you value your collection.

• rares or mega rare?
    rares, no problem, that's the name of the game......
    mega rares, don't usually cut them up, cuz mostly, mega rares arent the kind of jams that i play out in the first place........
    rather sample them or appreciate......
    obviously, having instant doubles with serato is kind of a no brainer;
    Rip one copy, have instant 2 digital copies to play with, no wear and tear (but i like me some crackle, but not cue burn over breaks) and preserve for that time when i'm getting ready to meet my maker and give my kids (perhaps grandkids by that time) a nice chunk of change.

but, put em on the turntable on a sunday morning with some coffee (even though they've been ripped)? hell yah! that's therapeutic right there.

• djsheep said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

...right...the ones who hurt the sonic integrity of the record are the real music lovers...and the ones who want to hear the song the way the artist intended only collect records to put them on their walls. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's getting mad D&D in this thread.

• mannybolone said:

Does D&D = Down & Dirty or Dungeons & Dragons?

• mannybolone said:

Does D&D = Down & Dirty or Dungeons & Dragons?

• I think there's a fairly wide middle ground between burning your grooves 'till they're gray and actually bringing your records out of the house every couple weeks.

But whatever helps you guys sleep at night

• well, i would say check all the early on track series 1-3 where kon is cutting a lot his and mine mega rare records...with serato we are not doing so now...

amir

• I messed up one of my copies of Lee Moses - Reach Out, Ill Be There 45 from cutting the opening drums

• Under the right conditions, in rare moments, listening to music can create a euphoric visceral reaction like chills. The worse the condition of the record, the smaller the chance of this happening. And what doesn't do it for you may do it for someone else.

Take care of your records. Use clean needles. I ain't too proud to beg.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    djsheep said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

...right...the ones who hurt the sonic integrity of the record are the real music lovers...and the ones who want to hear the song the way the artist intended only collect records to put them on their walls. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

sorry bro... I guess my sarcasm didn't come across right, maybe I shoulda put a ;) beside it.

I use Serato these days anyhow, exclusively. And I don't cut up, or do doubles. I was talking specifically about rare hip-hop singles and LPs... not really the funk...

• Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Under the right conditions, in rare moments, listening to music can create a euphoric visceral reaction like chills. The worse the condition of the record, the smaller the chance of this happening.

no offense but thats not true for me
    btw i just bought a reddevils lp (not really cheap but ok price) and i'm gonna scratch it

post a youtube of you scratching your favourite MEGA RAER!