Fat Beats Is Done

2»

Comments

• the five boros music was owned and was opened by the tape kingz cats ian and steve...wondered what happened to those cats...

• I vaguely remember the store being shuttered as part of a crackdown on the mixtape operation, but I might be totally wrong.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Went by there today and it was bitter sweet. Lot of memories at the spot, good times and good people.

Copped a grip of wax, my way of saying sayonara to a place that holds a special significance in this rap music thing of ours. There's something to be said about going into a store and buying vinyl while a DJ is on the set ripping doubles of LL Cool J "Rock The Bells." Like I said on twitter earlier, it's "the simple things..."

This whole weekend should be dope. I didn't stick around to check the X-ecutioners rock today but there's a lot of in-stores tomorrow and Saturday too (I know my man Eli is playing in between Just Blaze and A-Trak, plus Pete Rock and Primo will there.) So New Yorkers if you're around you should roll through and pay your respects.
    Attached files

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Amsterdam location (the basement) ca 2002

so many good memories...actually on my trip to NY back in 97 I was hanging out all day at FatBeats, bought a ton of vinyl and tapes there and was the most hyped I could get (I remember asking Eclipse if he had mixtapes, and he said nah, I fronted and said, What, you's a dj and you don't have mixtapes? He went in the backroom and got me one of his Ecko mixtapes ;) )

Also the store in Amsterdam was legendary and very instrumental to the European scene. I remember travelling to shows to the Dam and the shop, lots of times, saw El-P in there, and Big L at his last show...I remember the first cats that worked there were also from the US and one of these guys and me were the only bboys at a beat junkies gig when babu was spinning in early 98. I was like wtf? Half a year later Amsterdam had a bboying renaissance, so good to see that. Those were the days...I guess a mixture of high retail prices (repressed 12"'s for 22 guilders??), bad management and overall industry situation led to the demise of the Amsterdam store...but it's never forgotten!!

Bonus note: Chali 2na at HipHopKemp in the Czech Republic, while on stage to do a track with Roots Manuva in front of 14000 people, changed his verse and incorporated "Rest in Peace to Fat Beats"...that was dope!

• mannybolone said:

he should post! would be cool to hear his thoughts on british vs american comedy, Moder Soul, and er, what else do guys talk about here, women's heels?

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Good work! Enjoyed the mix and the reading, brings back lots of memories...

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Thanks for sharing JP, I really enjoyed reading that.