New Yorkers, can you confirm the truth of this?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Honolulu and Hawaii totalz

White persons, percent, 2009 (a) 26.6% 30.2%
    Black persons, percent, 2009 (a) 4.2% 3.2%
    American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2009 (a) 0.6% 0.6%
    Asian persons, percent, 2009 (a) 43.9% 38.8%
    Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2009 (a) 8.5% 9.2%
    Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2009 16.2% 18.0%
    Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2009 (b) 8.1% 9.0%
    White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2009 21.4% 25.1%
    ??

• Options
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    RAJ said:
    batmon said:
    Yall country dudes are way to soft to deal.

Exactly. The din of car horns and ambulance sirens 24-7 is NOT my thing. I don't care how "glamorous" the place is or how good the food is. COUNTRY > THE CITY.

Im way past the glamour stuff that's for New Jersey and tourists.

I prefer the diversity of NYC. The Burbs and them are way too homogenous.

Yo Batmon,

You need to check us out in Somerset. We're diverse as hell out here, which is one of the many reasons I love living here.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Cmon Stacks, You cant tell me Somerset is JUST as diverse as Queens.

Hey Batmon,

Here are the demographics for Somerset, NJ (2009):

White alone - 6,892 (31.4%)
    Black alone - 8,037 (36.7%)
    Hispanic - 4,081 (18.6%)
    Asian alone - 2,466 (11.2%)
    Two or more races - 298 (1.4%)
    Other race alone - 147 (0.7%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Somerset-New-Jersey.html#ixzz0yUooQR9d

These are the values for Queens, NY (2009):

White alone - 732,895 (32.9%)
    Black alone - 422,831 (19.0%)
    Hispanic - 556,605 (25.0%)
    Asian alone - 389,303 (17.5%)
    Two or more races - 92,511 (4.1%)
    Other race alone - 28,098 (1.3%)
    American alone - 6,275 (0.3%)
    Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 861 (0.04%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Queens-New-York.html#ixzz0yUpD9EK0

Beyond the obvious, large disparity in population size, I think Somerset fared quite well in the diversity comparison, at least demographically.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Been to any Cricket games recently?

You know it's a high school sport now for some schools? Richmond Hill runs the show.

• um...Brooklyn?

• crazypoprock said:
    um...Brooklyn?

On cue! lol.

I am so tired of hearing about how awesome Brooklyn is.
    How unique it is (not that unique.)
    how diverse it is (becoming more homogeneous every day.)
    how much cheaper it is than Manhattan (sure it is. in Brownsville. Maybe.)

I want a t-shirt that says "GO FUCK YOURSELF, BROOKLYN." or "TAKE YOUR BROOKLYN AND SHOVE IT."
    Or

"I *HATE* BROOKLYN" with a big strike through the big red "heart". Maybe just "FUCK BROOKLYN."

I wouldn't be able to wear it, but I kind of do just want it. Maybe someone can find a way to write a t-shirt slogan to this effect that wouldn't catch its wearer a beat down. Because the sentiment is, IMO, legit. Nu-Brooklyn dudes are so fucking self-congratulatory it's gross.

There's some NYC hate for you on this dreary Friday. Heh.

• I just came from a visit home (Seattle) to a wedding in NYC. The physical difference between the two groups of friends in similar income brackets made a huge impression on me. My friends in NYC had aged prematurely and looked about 5 - 10 years older than their counterparts in Seattle. The demands of work at a professional job in NYC are insane. And my boys had little in terms of savings to show for the years they had shaved off their lives. Take my anecdotal experience with a grain of salt, but it made quite the impression on me.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    crazypoprock said:
    um...Brooklyn?

On cue! lol.

I am so tired of hearing about how awesome Brooklyn is.
    How unique it is (not that unique.)
    how diverse it is (becoming more homogeneous every day.)
    how much cheaper it is than Manhattan (sure it is. in Brownsville. Maybe.)

I want a t-shirt that says "GO FUCK YOURSELF, BROOKLYN." or "TAKE YOUR BROOKLYN AND SHOVE IT."
    Or

"I *HATE* BROOKLYN" with a big strike through the big red "heart". Maybe just "FUCK BROOKLYN."

I wouldn't be able to wear it, but I kind of do just want it. Maybe someone can find a way to write a t-shirt slogan to this effect that wouldn't catch its wearer a beat down. Because the sentiment is, IMO, legit. Nu-Brooklyn dudes are so fucking self-congratulatory it's gross.

There's some NYC hate for you on this dreary Friday. Heh.

• I don't know how you got that picture of Perfidia, the Ecuadorian-Chinese baby that my Park Slope friends just adopted.

• Hating on NY is corny but so is the whole "you're not tough enough to live here" thing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jjrocks said:
    I just came from a visit home (Seattle) to a wedding in NYC. The physical difference between the two groups of friends in similar income brackets made a huge impression on me. My friends in NYC had aged prematurely and looked about 5 - 10 years older than their counterparts in Seattle. The demands of work at a professional job in NYC are insane. And my boys had little in terms of savings to show for the years they had shaved off their lives. Take my anecdotal experience with a grain of salt, but it made quite the impression on me.

Fuck that I look good.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Hating on NY is corny but so is the whole "you're not tough enough to live here" thing.

Soft

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't know how you got that picture of Perfidia, the Ecuadorian-Chinese baby that my Park Slope friends just adopted.

WHY YOU GOTTA PUT R****** ON BLAST LIKE THAT?

b/w

I'm pushing for Queens. but Tess is still very much about Brooklyn.

DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't know how you got that picture of Perfidia, the Ecuadorian-Chinese baby that my Park Slope friends just adopted.

WHY YOU GOTTA PUT R****** ON BLAST LIKE THAT?

b/w

I'm pushing for Queens. but Tess is still very much about Brooklyn.

Where in Queens have u looked DB?

And please dont tell me y'all been lookin at Greenpoint Brook-Lyn

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Just to add, a fairly comprehensive new study looking at the diversity of suburban "rings" vs. central cities found that in most areas - except for racial diversity - suburbs are often just as diverse by class, profession and education as cities are. I don't know if that's because the 'burbs have become more diversified or if cities went more homogenous (or both).

• The comparison between Queens and, well, anywhere, is only apples to apples if you stop at the bird's-eye-view numbers Stacks sites; the incredible diversity of the borough isn't in its percentage of Asians, but in its variety of Asians (ditto for other groups). Across New York City, this is replicated in a thousand ways. It's not just that White People make up 30% (or whatever); its that there are Albanians, and Irish, and Jews - oh, the varieties of Jew! - and so on. Suburbs are diversifying quickly, often as cities grow more and more expensive -and because of that, too - but I think the numbers quoted above are more than a bit misleading.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The comparison between Queens and, well, anywhere, is only apples to apples if you stop at the bird's-eye-view numbers Stacks sites; the incredible diversity of the borough isn't in its percentage of Asians, but in its variety of Asians (ditto for other groups). Across New York City, this is replicated in a thousand ways. It's not just that White People make up 30% (or whatever); its that there are Albanians, and Irish, and Jews - oh, the varieties of Jew! - and so on. Suburbs are diversifying quickly, often as cities grow more and more expensive -and because of that, too - but I think the numbers quoted above are more than a bit misleading.

Just wanted to add, you really see this when comparing New York's mix of Latinos to LA's. You look at the breakdowns and LA is pretty monolithic (overwhelmingly Mexican) vs. NY which is pan-Latino out the wazoo.

• - part of the moving to brooklyn problem, not the solution.

(i gots my reasons.)

• Ha!

mannybolone said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The comparison between Queens and, well, anywhere, is only apples to apples if you stop at the bird's-eye-view numbers Stacks sites; the incredible diversity of the borough isn't in its percentage of Asians, but in its variety of Asians (ditto for other groups). Across New York City, this is replicated in a thousand ways. It's not just that White People make up 30% (or whatever); its that there are Albanians, and Irish, and Jews - oh, the varieties of Jew! - and so on. Suburbs are diversifying quickly, often as cities grow more and more expensive -and because of that, too - but I think the numbers quoted above are more than a bit misleading.

Just wanted to add, you really see this when comparing New York's mix of Latinos to LA's. You look at the breakdowns and LA is pretty monolithic (overwhelmingly Mexican) vs. NY which is pan-Latino out the wazoo.

Numbers dont tell the story.

The various styles of Asians have their OWN hoods. Koreatown???

Dominicans have their own hood.

My buddies daughter(NYC Jewish/Irish) was in grade school (Not College) w/ a gang of flavors.
    She could go play w/ Bangledeshi,Trinidadian,Greek,Serbian, and Ecuadorian kids.
    Being exposed to that at an early age is a very good look.

How many parades are held here?

Yall aint fuckin w/ NYC at that level.

• No one is fusking with NYC's parade game. FACT.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Auckland's ethnic diversity for lulz..... pretty funny to compare. It's a different world down here.
    White 56.5%
    Asian 18.9%
    Polynesian 14.4%
    New Zealand Maori 11.1%
    "New Zealander" (refuse to identify with any other ethnicity) 8%
    Middle Eastern/Latin American/African American or African 1.5%
    Other 0.1%

• Brian said:
    Is New York the place where they have those bed bugs?

The news reports claim they do!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    RAJ said:
    NY is a Great Place (to visit)

That's why I live in Dirty Jerz versus the Rotten Apple (though I love to kick it there, though). I'm getting too old to deal with that level of stimulation (good and bad) on a daily basis.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

you live in Jersey. i was always under the impression that you were a seasoned Cali pimp. don't ask me why...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    RAJ said:

That's why I live in Dirty Jerz versus the Rotten Apple (though I love to kick it there, though). I'm getting too old to deal with that level of stimulation (good and bad) on a daily basis.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

you live in Jersey. i was always under the impression that you were a seasoned Cali pimp. don't ask me why...

Hey Behemoth,

Yes, I live in New Jersey, but I was born in North Carolina and grew up in various parts of Maryland. Then, I moved back to North Carolina when I was starting junior-high school. Being a military brat, I grew up in a mix of environments which prepared me to deal with all kinds of people. That's how I learned game beyond the lessons my pops (RIP) dropped on me.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    behemoth said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    RAJ said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Behemoth,

Yes, I live in New Jersey, but I was born in North Carolina and grew up in various parts of Maryland. Then, I moved back to North Carolina when I was starting junior-high school. Being a military brat, I grew up in a mix of environments which prepared me to deal with all kinds of people. That's how I learned game beyond the lessons my pops (RIP) dropped on me.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

gotchya. thanks for dropping knowledge. i like Somerset and other parts of Jersey. i was about to move there but the job didn't work out....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    behemoth said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    RAJ said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Behemoth,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

gotchya. thanks for dropping knowledge. i like Somerset and other parts of Jersey. i was about to move there but the job didn't work out....

Hey Behemoth,

I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you could have joined us here. Somerset is a great place to live. It must be because I just turned down a colleague trying to recruit me to the Smeal College of Business (a top b-school in the country) at Penn State.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmon said:
    Being exposed to that at an early age is a very good look.

greatest of co-signs.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    No one is fusking with New Orleans' parade game. FACT.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    my nephew is easily fourteen times cooler than I am already. He is almost three. Mar Vista area of LA, he's killinit en espanol from daycare, he's unimpressed by me putting my life on the line at the Venice sk9prk, he's pretty much bout it.

I'm envious, and at the same time very happy for the little dude. Watch for him!

batmon said:

The various styles of Asians have their OWN hoods. Koreatown???

Not that unusual, nationally speaking. And on this front, NY ain't really fuckin' with anywhere that borders the Pacific.

But hey, for everyone else - Latino, White, Black - that's all NYC, baby.

• 1. As the saying goes "New York makes and Brooklyn takes."
    2. That being said, there are still some decent non-hipster neighborhoods in Brooklyn that one can actually consider living in. You just have to go a little deeper and the the trai ride to midtown you might as well live up in Westchester or the Bronx.
    3 Queens. My wife grew up in Forrest Park in a nice apartment across the street from a big park with woods and 14 tennis courts. We seriously considered places around forrest hills gardens - the gardens themselves are way too expensive, rego park, etc. But there is just something a little choochy about the mooks in Queens, with their Mets hats and faded jeans with running shoes ala Seinfeld.