New Yorkers, can you confirm the truth of this?

13»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't know how you got that picture of Perfidia, the Ecuadorian-Chinese baby that my Park Slope friends just adopted.

WHY YOU GOTTA PUT R****** ON BLAST LIKE THAT?

b/w

I'm pushing for Queens. but Tess is still very much about Brooklyn.

Where in Queens have u looked DB?

And please dont tell me y'all been lookin at Greenpoint Brook-Lyn

We're just about to leave on a scouting mission to Astoria and Jackson Heights. Heard good things about Forest Hills too. Tess is hot on the Fort Greene/Boerum Hill/Carroll Gardens area. I'm (fingers crossed) expecting an offer from the New York Botanical Garden though, so Brooklyn would be a serious hike to commute, and more expensive than Queens. Gotta sort it out soon ??? we're moving October 1. Any suggestions?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't know how you got that picture of Perfidia, the Ecuadorian-Chinese baby that my Park Slope friends just adopted.

b/w

We're just about to leave on a scouting mission to Astoria and Jackson Heights. Heard good things about Forest Hills too. Tess is hot on the Fort Greene/Boerum Hill/Carroll Gardens area. I'm (fingers crossed) expecting an offer from the New York Botanical Garden though, so Brooklyn would be a serious hike to commute, and more expensive than Queens. Gotta sort it out soon ??? we're moving October 1. Any suggestions?

Long Island City(str8 industrial), Sunnyside(regular hood), Hunter's Point(industrial/Co-ops). Not as live as Brook-Lyn where she's lookin' at, but the commute to Manhattan isnt crazy.

Haarlem.

Brook-Lyn is like Man-Hatt now. The numbers are high, but you'll be around plenty of white folk.

U also have to account for wifey coming home at night in any hood u choose. If its too "deserted" that might be a concern.

I know you aint ready for The Bronx. Uptown is a whole nother mindstate.

But dont sleep on the Upper East Side(100th - to like 72nd). It aint hip, but the numbers(in the right spots) arent that much different from the hip-hot Brook-Lyn spots. From what ive heard.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    jjrocks said:
    I just came from a visit home (Seattle) to a wedding in NYC. The physical difference between the two groups of friends in similar income brackets made a huge impression on me. My friends in NYC had aged prematurely and looked about 5 - 10 years older than their counterparts in Seattle. The demands of work at a professional job in NYC are insane. And my boys had little in terms of savings to show for the years they had shaved off their lives. Take my anecdotal experience with a grain of salt, but it made quite the impression on me.

Fuck that I look good.

He does too.

Something like 49% of people living in Toronto right now are born outside of Canada and from our last census four years ago, we are more diverse than New York. But, without fail, every time I get back here from New York, I totally miss the huge Latino population in all its variations. Toronto just doesn't have that in its make-up like New York does...our loss.

• bassie said:
    I totally miss the huge Latino population in all its variations.

It feels good to know that there are still some people out there that love us.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Soulhawk said:

please, you ain't nothin but a city hillbilly

wow

batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

b/w

Long Island City(str8 industrial), Sunnyside(regular hood), Hunter's Point(industrial/Co-ops). Not as live as Brook-Lyn where she's lookin' at, but the commute to Manhattan isnt crazy.

Haarlem.

Brook-Lyn is like Man-Hatt now. The numbers are high, but you'll be around plenty of white folk.

U also have to account for wifey coming home at night in any hood u choose. If its too "deserted" that might be a concern.

I know you aint ready for The Bronx. Uptown is a whole nother mindstate.

But dont sleep on the Upper East Side(100th - to like 72nd). It aint hip, but the numbers(in the right spots) arent that much different from the hip-hot Brook-Lyn spots. From what ive heard.

We rambled into Long Island City today. There's a strip east of the N and Q down from 30th on the border of Astoria and LIC we liked. But the late-night walk concern is always there. You've met the lady. She's pretty and pretty small. She can spit fire, but I still worry, and she does too. The Bronx I can dig, especially if the NYBG comes together. But Tess is adamantly against it. And don't even think there's not a bit of wanting to be around the white folks that's playing a part in that. Real talk. But mainly it's going to come down to weighing cost vs. size and amenities vs. location. Gonna scout more tomorrow via Zipcar. I'll check Sunnyside. The UES has always been an option, but we need a second bedroom, and the prices seem to be a bit too much for the ROI.

• Good luck, DB. Searching sucks.

We SETTLED (and I mean SETTLED) on a spot in brklyn to put that shit off for another 11 months.

longterm? housing = still an issue.
    shorterm? relieved.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    batmon said:

clowning greenpoint and then recommending the upper east side is akin to stealing someones ice cream cone and then inviting them into a dark closet full of farts in which you just farted.

let me just step in here real quick to stand up for my neighborhood of 7 years...it's not just manhattan ave. it's a very quiet working folks neighborhood, my block is all families and old ladies that keep the block on lockdown, they all know my name and will move my car when i'm out of town, sign for packages, and welcome me in their above ground pools on blazing summer days. I'm situated right near the BQE, and LIE. a quick $12 cab ride to Laguardia, and I can easily get up to Court Square to get the E to JFK bypassing all that Vanwyck madness. I can take a cab home from the LES for $9, and when it's raining or snowing, I can walk under the BQE to Lorimer keeping my crappy bodega umbrella budget at an minimum. parking is plentiful, jaggoffs are few, coffee is bangin and the park is beautiful. it feels like a very accessible respite and makes new york feel spacious and liveable. i have watched the kids on my block grow up and i feel like part of a community, never felt that living in windsor terrace.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Brooklyn is awesome.

Possum Tom said:
    batmon said:

clowning greenpoint and then recommending the upper east side is akin to stealing someones ice cream cone and then inviting them into a dark closet full of farts in which you just farted.

let me just step in here real quick to stand up for my neighborhood of 7 years...it's not just manhattan ave. it's a very quiet working folks neighborhood, my block is all families and old ladies that keep the block on lockdown, they all know my name and will move my car when i'm out of town, sign for packages, and welcome me in their above ground pools on blazing summer days. I'm situated right near the BQE, and LIE. a quick $12 cab ride to Laguardia, and I can easily get up to Court Square to get the E to JFK bypassing all that Vanwyck madness. I can take a cab home from the LES for $9, and when it's raining or snowing, I can walk under the BQE to Lorimer keeping my crappy bodega umbrella budget at an minimum. parking is plentiful, jaggoffs are few, coffee is bangin and the park is beautiful. it feels like a very accessible respite and makes new york feel spacious and liveable. i have watched the kids on my block grow up and i feel like part of a community, never felt that living in windsor terrace.

BEDBUGS LIKE WHAT!!!!!!!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

I'd like to live anywhere people say things like this!

• Possum Tom said:
    batmon said:

Let me cosine this. I moved to Greenpoint in '92 on the heels of a messy split from a girlfriend fully intending to move back to the LES as soon as I saved up some $$$. After a couple months I had no desire to move back to Manhattan (especially a hood like the Upper East Side - Yecch!).

Now it's even better, with good food etc easily available. I can't think of a single reason to live in Manhattan instead.

• DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

b/w

Wait...you may get a job at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens? Move to Crown Heights! I've lived there for over 3 years now and love it...it's still dirt cheap to live there (I have a 3 bedroom for $1500) and the neighborhood is about to seriously blow up. It's diverse enough to please most soulstrutters...it's right by the 2.3.4.5 trains (express stop at Franklin!)...it's got a lot going for it!

stop all the hating...Brooklyn rules!

Greenpoint is New New York.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts

crazypoprock said:

Wait...you may get a job at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens?

Sadly, no. That would be way too convenient. Talmbout the NYBG in teh Bronx. Like, the end of the B & D lines Bronx. Long ass commute from downtown. Really nice place though. As you would imagine, I guess, it being a garden and all. And I can't really afford to be too picky about location in this hiring economy.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    crazypoprock said:

Wait...you may get a job at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens?

Sadly, no. That would be way too convenient. Talmbout the NYBG in teh Bronx. Like, the end of the B & D lines Bronx. Long ass commute from downtown. Really nice place though. As you would imagine, I guess, it being a garden and all. And I can't really afford to be too picky about location in this hiring economy.

You moving to NY? That's cool. That commute must be a drag. Me and my wife were going to buy place in Harlem a couple of years back but the commute to downtown Brooklyn would have been murder on her.

• I recommended Harlem, but I don't think that's really in the cards for what they're looking for.

Cos you going to the parade today?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah bro off to California for about 10 days. Have fun though!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I recommended Harlem, but I don't think that's really in the cards for what they're looking for.

I put it back on the table when the NYBG job came up, back she took it back off. The neighborhood thing has been a running argument for months. And yeah Cos ??? my mailing address is already in Manhattan, although I'm parking my ass on my brother's sofa in Boston weekdays until I get the job thing nailed down. Good times. Good times.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    batmon said:
    Greenpoint is New New York.
    Jelly he lives in a fart closet with limited handicap access.

• Moved from (very) Upper East Side (95th/3rd) to Riverdale in The Bronx 4 years ago and the biggest differences are that a car is necessary and the food delivery choices are drastically reduced. I mean I used to have 15 great choices of each cuisine and now I have maybe 1 decent choice of each.

It was cool that, save for work, I didn't need to leave my block, or even cross a street, for anything I needed.

But, it is also nice to be in a 2-bedroom in a quiet tree filled neighborhood and not have garbage trucks wake me up at 3am 3x a week, and not listen to drunk recent college grads get in fights outside the pizza place that was directly below my 140 sq ft. studio when they came home at 4am on weekends.

In my 20s though, I loved it. Just stepping out my door would always pick me up if I needed. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Plus, being a bandleader, I don't believe I could be so deep in substitute musicians anywhere else, or, if I need someone, I'll get 10 responses to a craigslist ad in 3 hrs.

• Moved from (very) Upper East Side (95th/3rd) to Riverdale in The Bronx 4 years ago and the biggest differences are that a car is necessary and the food delivery choices are drastically reduced. I mean I used to have 15 great choices of each cuisine and now I have maybe 1 decent choice of each.

It was cool that, save for work, I didn't need to leave my block, or even cross a street, for anything I needed.

But, it is also nice to be in a 2-bedroom in a quiet tree filled neighborhood and not have garbage trucks wake me up at 3am 3x a week, and not listen to drunk recent college grads get in fights outside the pizza place that was directly below my 140 sq ft. studio when they came home at 4am on weekends.

In my 20s though, I loved it. Just stepping out my door would always pick me up if I needed. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Plus, being a bandleader, I don't believe I could be so deep in substitute musicians anywhere else, or, if I need someone, I'll get 10 responses to a craigslist ad in 3 hrs.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Moved from (very) Upper East Side (95th/3rd) to Riverdale in The Bronx 4 years ago and the biggest differences are that a car is necessary and the food delivery choices are drastically reduced. I mean I used to have 15 great choices of each cuisine and now I have maybe 1 decent choice of each.

Sayin'.

The Upper East isnt at all "Hip" but the living conditions are cool. They still have butchers, enuff child care shit, dog yoga, adequate restaurants, bars(upscale,Irish/Frat), plenty of supermarkets, etc.

The folks are on the corny and stiff side, but if your past wanting to be around the "nuevo try hards", its a decent alternative.

If you live to far East the long ass walks to the Lexington line is a mutha.

Of course there are "cooler" hoods in NYC, but take away that part and the UES is a str8 regular living situation...IMO.

Cats who move here see it as some wack ass old whitey hood lacking in flavor. That's true to a degree, but I'd take into account that kids arent flockin' there like Brooklyn.

If your high enuff Harlem is right there.

• DB_Cooper said:

The NYBG is very near and dear to my heart. I spent a lot of time there as an undergrad, and got married there as an adult. It is a truely special, beautiful, slept on place. That said, the B and D lines are a long, miserable walk from the park. Your best bet, and although expensive, is to take the Metro North there, the stop is basically across the street from the NYBG offices. So look into neighborhoods along the 7, 4, 5, or 6 trains that run into Grand Central. If you want to go Metrocard all the way get on the D line, get of at Fordham and take the BX 12 to the zoo, walk 5 minutes to the garden. I used to take the 4 from Grand Central to Fordham, and then get on the BX 12 to get to school, took about 1.5 hours. Or look into living in Pelham Bay, there are some nice apartments there for very reasonable prices. You'll just need a car to get around or be prepared for 45minute+ subway rides.

Glad to hear your coming to town officially.

Gareth, I still have your record!

As to the rest of the thread, shit is funny and stupid at the same time. Get in where you fit in fam.