First time I heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers...

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
...was this video from 1984. Not sure if this appearance at New Music Seminar 5 lead to them being signed, or they were already signed by then. Nonetheless, I remember watching this way back when and going "damn, this is great!"

Comments

• I ran into flea on an airplane to Mexico City in '86. He was talking to my dad, which I thought was strange. Turns out they used to jam together in the jazz clubs of LA. What a scene the 80's was.

• johmbolaya said:
    ...was this video from 1984. Not sure if this appearance at New Music Seminar 5 lead to them being signed, or they were already signed by then. Nonetheless, I remember watching this way back when and going "damn, this is great!"

thats rad.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I remember they showed this on much or new music or something as well up here.

Oh, and seeing them on Thrashin'

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    johmbolaya said:

thats rad.

Cosine.

I loved the RHCP in junior high. Maybe I still do, but I think I got tired of them.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    88 perhaps. Met Flea in a music shop, hadn't heard of the band at all but he came across as a down-to-earth dude, albeit with a manic stare.

• on this show.

starring.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    ...was when I went to see the movie "Tough Guys" in '86 with my Dad:

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Wasn't the guitarist River Phoenix's drug dealer?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    ...was when I went to see the movie "Tough Guys" in '86 with my [del]Dad[/del] Mom:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    ...was when I saw the video for "Jungle Man" on BET in 1985 or 86. I loved this version of the band, they were a big part of the soundtrack to my HS years.

• asstro said:
    I saw the video for "Jungle Man" on BET

really?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My mom opened the first skateboard shop in Philly back in 1985 and immediately it was THE PLACE TO BE for us kids, and I remember Freaky Styley getting played a lot in the shop. I thought it was super cool. My big sister was real big in to the Philly hardcore scene but Chili's was different and I remember I was like "Oh shit this is so cool" and of course making the whole Southern California connection.

But yeah Chilis are cool as shit although it might not be cool to say it, I love these dudes

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    altjockcockrock

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Seems like I saw this first on The Cutting Edge, but it's hard to recall...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    asstro said:
    I saw the video for "Jungle Man" on BET

really?

In the mid 80's BET used to show a lot of rock videos that I guess some PD or more likely record label probably made them play in order to get their hands on the more in demand stuff. The weirdest one that I remember being in the rotation was the heavy metal band Autograph, this was on every afternoon for like a month and it made absolutely no sense why it would be on BET.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I was mad late to the game on this, sort of, as I was in 4th and 5th grade when Blood Sugar Sex Magic blew up. I had heard of them at that point, but had never actually heard em. I became completely obsessed and, no joke, only wore RHCP shirts. I had 4 or 5 that I would rotate throughout the week. I remember going to my principal at school and asking if it was ok to wear the Mona Lisa shirt they had where her breast was exposed and she was colored all crazy. My favorite was the black and white caricature of them on the front with the big RHCP symbol on the back (the medicine wheel looking joint).

Woimsah said:
    the big RHCP symbol on the back (the medicine wheel looking joint).

You mean the Positive Mental Octopus?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I guess? Or apparently the "Star of Affinity" or "Anus of an Angel"?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I really wish I had never heard of this group

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The Chili Peppers were cool up until Blood Sugar Sex Magic then i lost interest in them.
    The first time i saw them was on a video collage MTV showed on their video awards showcasing atl-rock groups.
    I remember first seeing Minute Men, Killing Joke and others in that that as well.

• First time I heard of the Re Hot Chilli Peppers was in a skateboard movie called Thrashin' in the mid 80's

• flea was one of chet baker's heroin buddies featured in that amazing/utterly depressing doc called "let's get lost together" that was shot just before chet jumped, fell or was pushed out his balcony in amsterdam. that's a pretty hip connection.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Flea was awesome as a nihilist in the Big Lebowski.

I was never a big fan of RHCP though. A few tracks here and there are fine I guess.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    flea was one of chet baker's heroin buddies featured in that amazing/utterly depressing doc called "let's get lost together" that was shot just before chet jumped, fell or was pushed out his balcony in amsterdam. that's a pretty hip connection.

Always wanted to check that movie, never did.
    Interesting connection.

I vividly remember my first exposure to RHCP.
    Was really big into Aerosmith in the 80s (h8 all you want) and Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were guest hosting on MTV and they were both raving about them and played a video from Freaky Styley. Went and bought the tape the next day.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    IRS Cutting Edge interview for sure. I think Flea was wearing the stuffed animal pants. Early records suck very hard, Seinfeld bass in effect.

• Always wanted to check that movie, never did.

it's soooo well done, here's the torrent:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4284348/Chet_baker_-_Let__s_Get_Lost_-_by_Bruce_weber

• crabmongerfunk said:
    flea was one of chet baker's heroin buddies featured in that amazing/utterly depressing doc called "let's get lost together" that was shot just before chet jumped, fell or was pushed out his balcony in amsterdam. that's a pretty hip connection.

Yupp, like i said, dude was in the Jazz scene. A Lot of post punk/new wave musicians played jazz for kicks. The more talented one's anyways.

• Mike Watt > Flea

Norwood Fisher > Mike Watt > Flea