What Is It About 20-Somethings? (NYT-rel)

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Almond said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Almond said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Soulhawk said:
    let's all make wagers on what Almond will do with her degree
    Assistant --> get married --> have kids --> housewife --> assistant.

I find your traditional sequence of events to be sexist. I'll become an analyst or teacher. No need to make wagers, just ask. Sheesh.

Almond, fuck all that noise. Go underground, build small bombs and send them to the Sabadabas of the world. Write manifestos against corporate citizenry and American Imperialism. You're in your 20s, do something stupid!

I already do all that stuff.

Stop thinking I'm going to fund your retirement, Saba.

Not if you're a teacher you won't.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Almond said:
    Almond said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Soulhawk said:

I find your traditional sequence of events to be sexist. I'll become an analyst or teacher. No need to make wagers, just ask. Sheesh.
    The wager makes it fun, and my money is still on assistant until you prove my wager wrong. I needn't ask about something that hasn't come to pass.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    if there is nothing in Almond's posts for you I understand completely and am not surprised.

I am not like Herm and I dont commit acts of hollaration on soulstrut, just supporting the strutters with soul.

:get_on_my_level:

Almond's cool with me, but you are looking hecka hella fricka fracka weird right now with these last 2 posts. At least you're trying to be positive, but still.

• Options
    what does hella ficka fracka weird mean?

how am i supposed to respond to that?

Controller 7 already said my posts are garbage...

20-something year olds are keeping the game alive these dayz.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    :P

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

The wager makes it fun.

I got a wager for you. 2:1 that Saba's kid ends up a militant leftist, front line protestor at G-8 and the WEF by age 16. At 12 she'll say, "What happened to you dad? You were so cool in the early 90s."

• I didn't finish the article. Because I'm a thirty-something. Which is the new twenty something. And I behave accordingly.

Reynaldo said:
    Almond said:
    Almond said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Soulhawk said:

The wager makes it fun, and my money is still on assistant until you prove my wager wrong. I needn't ask about something that hasn't come to pass.

Don't let this happen to you! I know it's just a joke. But I know so many well educated young women (top schools) who, upon entering the job market are steered SO HARD into being an assistant, or a receptionist. Often with empty promises of more substantive work later. But then, when they do a really good job (b/c they're smart and effective), they become indispensable in their shitty position. It's still a very Mad Men world out there (okay - I've never seen the show - hope it was an appropriate reference).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Reynaldo said:

The wager makes it fun.

I got a wager for you. 2:1 that Saba's kid ends up a militant leftist, front line protestor at G-8 and the WEF by age 16. At 12 she'll say, "What happened to you dad? You were so cool in the early 90s."

Does this mean your kids will grow up to be corporate lawyers who will prematurely put you in a Public Nursing Home and sell your property to fund their 9 figure portfolio?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Reynaldo said:

The wager makes it fun.

Does this mean your kids will grow up to be corporate lawyers who will prematurely put you in a Public Nursing Home and sell your property to fund their 9 figure portfolio?

Pretty much, especially since I put them in Catholic school for early education. Gotta indoctrinate them into liberation theology while they're young. ;)

• it was nothing short of demanded throughout my younger years that i pursue the world of academia because the future lay in the hands of high finance and technology. mainly because of my stubbornness, i decided to work for and eventually take over the family business. plumbing, electrical, carpentry, stonework and irrigation have been the name of the game for me, and in 10 years there will be virtually no competition because everyone wants to be a graphic designer or journalist, professions that i admire deeply but understand that there may be limited positions. there's a subtle irony in the fact that i hire university students throughout the summer to work, and get to watch them go through their full term and then stare out in to the world realizing that after 5 years and a piece of paper they still dont know what to do. so they come back and work for me.

now i'm 28 years old and have been working as a contractor since age 13. i own a house in a sought-after neighbourhood highly conducive to establishing a family and raising children, and another rental property that i use to circumvent my personal expenses.

learn a trade and get your hands dirty folks. i assure you that the world will always need someone to do the hard work.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    learn a trade and get your hands dirty folks. i assure you that the world will always need someone to do the hard work.
    not taught in school, sry

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I didn't finish the article. Because I'm a thirty-something. Which is the new twenty something. And I behave accordingly.

Reynaldo said:
    Almond said:
    Almond said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Soulhawk said:

Don't let this happen to you! I know it's just a joke. But I know so many well educated young women (top schools) who, upon entering the job market are steered SO HARD into being an assistant, or a receptionist. Often with empty promises of more substantive work later. But then, when they do a really good job (b/c they're smart and effective), they become indispensable in their shitty position. It's still a very Mad Men world out there (okay - I've never seen the show - hope it was an appropriate reference).

Clarification: When I said that I was a graduate student assistant, I basically meant intern. They just call all of us GSAs, male and female alike. I should have just said student intern.

• Options
    I hope you get all the money and happiness that you want. You deserve it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    it was nothing short of demanded throughout my younger years that i pursue the world of academia because the future lay in the hands of high finance and technology. mainly because of my stubbornness, i decided to work for and eventually take over the family business. plumbing, electrical, carpentry, stonework and irrigation have been the name of the game for me, and in 10 years there will be virtually no competition because everyone wants to be a graphic designer or journalist, professions that i admire deeply but understand that there may be limited positions. there's a subtle irony in the fact that i hire university students throughout the summer to work, and get to watch them go through their full term and then stare out in to the world realizing that after 5 years and a piece of paper they still dont know what to do. so they come back and work for me.

now i'm 28 years old and have been working as a contractor since age 13. i own a house in a sought-after neighbourhood highly conducive to establishing a family and raising children, and another rental property that i use to circumvent my personal expenses.

:feelin_it: As a college professor, I can't tell you how few people are not cut out intellectually and/or socially for earning 4 year degrees (and beyond) and pursuing professional occupations. A good deal of them have such a vocational education frame of mind, such that they cannot think creatively, but instead, want to be told what to do. These individuals would be much better served pursuing trades as their form of thinking lends itself to working with things rather than ideas. They couldn't generate an original idea or thought and make a positive impression socially if their lives depended on it. There is no wonder they're failing "out there." Four-year degrees aren't for everyone, and I wish college administrators would figure that out and stop selling dreams to a lot of people to up enrollments (and the green).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Almond said:

Clarification: When I said that I was a graduate student assistant, I basically meant intern. They just call all of us GSAs, male and female alike. I should have just said student intern.

No, I know. I was genuinely warning you against getting railroaded ,as a young woman, into low status positions that recently-graduated men would never be offered. (In response to Reynoldo's comment). It's all too common.

Many a well educated young woman is an executive-assistant to So-and-So. Or a receptionist - to be the pretty, smart face that greets the customers / clients / businessmen.

It's insidious. I mean, you need a f*cking paycheck! So you take what you can. I have SO many friends stuck in this nightmare.

• sbabababdbadbabdsbsba is such a successful villain. take faux's smugness, mix in some greed, dash of pure evil, you have yourself an effective douchebag.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    brokenrecord said:
    It's all too common.
    Hence my wager. Nothing personal, Almond. Playing the odds.

• some of you guys sound young as shit.

• Big_Stacks said:
    vintageinfants said:
    it was nothing short of demanded throughout my younger years that i pursue the world of academia because the future lay in the hands of high finance and technology. mainly because of my stubbornness, i decided to work for and eventually take over the family business. plumbing, electrical, carpentry, stonework and irrigation have been the name of the game for me, and in 10 years there will be virtually no competition because everyone wants to be a graphic designer or journalist, professions that i admire deeply but understand that there may be limited positions. there's a subtle irony in the fact that i hire university students throughout the summer to work, and get to watch them go through their full term and then stare out in to the world realizing that after 5 years and a piece of paper they still dont know what to do. so they come back and work for me.

:feelin_it: As a college professor, I can't tell you how few people are not cut out intellectually and/or socially for earning 4 year degrees (and beyond) and pursuing professional occupations. A good deal of them have such a vocational education frame of mind, such that they cannot think creatively, but instead, want to be told what to do. These individuals would be much better served pursuing trades as their form of thinking lends itself to working with things rather than ideas. They couldn't generate an original idea or thought and make a positive impression socially if their lives depended on it. There is no wonder they're failing "out there." Four-year degrees aren't for everyone, and I wish college administrators would figure that out and stop selling dreams to a lot of people to up enrollments (and the green).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Both of these are excellent posts.

I'm 25 and it took me about 8 months to find a position in my field. I work as a graphic designer and photographer for an agricultural newspaper. While it wasn't my first choice I am so thankful for having this position. It's not everything I wish it was, but I still feel pretty grateful and humble for being able to do what I went to school for. Rockadelic made some good points, I've only recently figured out that you ACTUALLY HAVE to show your employer that you are a hard worker and how they can use your skills to your benefit and theirs. Hardly ever is anything thrown into your lap.

The job market is beyond frustrating for tons of people and while I have a job, I'm always looking. It can be a bit hard to admit that you'll be stuck where you are for longer than you want. But you have to make the best of it and create your own opportunities in whatever way you know how. This shit definitely takes a lot of work. Creativity can either come natural or it just doesn't at all.

• Big_Stacks said:

A good deal of them have such a vocational education frame of mind, such that they cannot think creatively, but instead, want to be told what to do.

Yo stacks, you sayin guys in the trades can't think outta the box? You sayin you want a stupid electrician to wire your home?

These individuals would be much better served pursuing trades as their form of thinking lends itself to working with things rather than ideas.

Man, have you ever built a house? there's a shitload of 'ideas' involved. Holy shit..........

They couldn't generate an original idea or thought and make a positive impression socially if their lives depended on it.

If I'm going into a clients house to rip out their master bathroom, I better hope to hell I can 'make a positive impression socially. '

As a contractor I've hired a whole whack of '20 something's' over the years, many of whom went the conventional route into uni, flunked out and started a trade. ALL of them are creative individuals, they just learn by being physical, not by sitting. I had a PHD working for me at one point, who after 6 months Still couldn't put the skillsaw away in it's case, while the highschool pot head drop out figured it out in one afternoon: The high school drop out stayed with me 4 yrs, the PHD lasted six months.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    I hope you get all the money and happiness that you want. You deserve it.

are you a alias or what?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    some of you guys sound young as shit.
    i thought i was one of the younger people here with ako at like 12 years old or something.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Big_Stacks said:

A good deal of them have such a vocational education frame of mind, such that they cannot think creatively, but instead, want to be told what to do.

Yo stacks, you sayin guys in the trades can't think outta the box? You sayin you want a stupid electrician to wire your home?

These individuals would be much better served pursuing trades as their form of thinking lends itself to working with things rather than ideas.

Man, have you ever built a house? there's a shitload of 'ideas' involved. Holy shit..........

They couldn't generate an original idea or thought and make a positive impression socially if their lives depended on it.

If I'm going into a clients house to rip out their master bathroom, I better hope to hell I can 'make a positive impression socially. '

As a contractor I've hired a whole whack of '20 something's' over the years, many of whom went the conventional route into uni, flunked out and started a trade. ALL of them are creative individuals, they just learn by being physical, not by sitting. I had a PHD working for me at one point, who after 6 months Still couldn't put the skillsaw away in it's case, while the highschool pot head drop out figured it out in one afternoon: The high school drop out stayed with me 4 yrs, the PHD lasted six months.

Hey LoopDreams,

Your points are well taken. I meant to suggest that a lot of college students can't think well abstractly, tend to be rote, and deal better with physical things. I didn't mean to imply that trades don't require creativity, as I've witnessed my landscaper's designs (for our front walkway, porch, and patio) and present construction of them on our property. They are works of art, however, most of the work lies with the laborers who implement the design. Also, the laborers aren't required to interact with the client much (if at all), as this is handled by the company owner (who is 28 years old, quite social adept, and cool as a fan). I can see the students I'm discussing making contributions as laborers, carrying out orders from someone else's grand scheme. They appear largely incapable of developing a scheme themselves as they lack creativity. The public schools largely foster the lack of abstraction I've witnessed, as students are taught rote memorization to pass proficiency tests, versus generation and synthesis of ideas, logic, and creativity thinking.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_Stacks said:
    vintageinfants said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

(Misread post)

Horseleech said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    vintageinfants said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

As someone who almost always finds your posts to be well balanced, insightful and positive I have to say this is borderline offensive and ignorant to boot.

I have a four year degree and was basically offered a future in academia by several professors who were eager to sponsor my career. I opted for a different path (which included two years as a construction project manager, seven as a NYC bike messenger and numerous other jobs) until finally starting my own businesses and finding my own way. In the process I interacted with (and worked along side) hundreds of people, from the wealthiest and most educated to the poorest who were barely hanging on.

What I learned is pretty much the opposite of what you just said.

I agree that the academic route is not for everyone, but dismissing those who aren't cut out for it as 'uncreative' or 'unable to generate an original thought' is... well, I'm not going to go there, and I'm sorry you did.

Hey Horseleech,

I'm only speaking upon what I have witnessed, that there is a segment of college students who don't have the intellectual and/or social wherewithall to be successful professionals. This partially explains why some of them have a hard time post-graduation. Of course, this critique doesn't apply to everyone, but it does apply to about 1/4 of students I encounter. Bear in mind, I teach at a large state school so this shouldn't be surprising in the least. To me, it's evidence of more relaxed admission policies designed to increase tuition revenue; however, this is a short-sighted objective since graduating a sizable segment of mediocre students has negative implications for a university's reputation in the long run.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I think Big Stacks point is being taken slightly out-of-context here. I'm pretty sure that all he is trying to say is that a lot of kids is today's current academic world prefer to be spoonfed and aren't sure what to do if a different situation arises.

On a similar note, I feel like it wasn't until AFTER I left college that I fully internalized some of the lessons my professors were teaching regarding critical thinking and problem solving.

therecordpeddler said:
    I think Big Stacks point is being taken slightly out-of-context here. I'm pretty sure that all he is trying to say is that a lot of kids is today's current academic world prefer to be spoonfed and aren't sure what to do if a different situation arises.

On a similar note, I feel like it wasn't until AFTER I left college that I fully internalized some of the lessons my professors were teaching regarding critical thinking and problem solving.

Hey Record Pedder,

This is exactly what I was saying. It becomes starkly obvious during my applied, real-world course projects (I was an HR consultant for 5 years) and presentations. I'm utterly shocked at how lacking in ingenuity and forethought some of them are. Also, these types of students don't think well on their feet, as they can't answer questions effectively during the presentations. What do they think happens after boardroom presentations (um, the higher-ups ask questions)? The sad part is that I teach primarily masters students (though I teach a doctoral seminar this semester). :oof:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Definitely. And like I said, I feel like college experience really prepped me for critical thinking during my career, even if I didn't know it at the time. Unfortunately, many of the students around me probably never caught those lessons.

All I can say Big Stacks, is that I hope there are at least a few students you come across every semester who are eager and willing to learn, think and apply themselves. I hope those ones make your career worthwhile.

therecordpeddler said:
    Definitely. And like I said, I feel like college experience really prepped me for critical thinking during my career, even if I didn't know it at the time. Unfortunately, many of the students around me probably never caught those lessons.

All I can say Big Stacks, is that I hope there are at least a few students you come across every semester who are eager and willing to learn, think and apply themselves. I hope those ones make your career worthwhile.

Hey TheRecordPeddler,

Actually, the majority of them perform just fine, but there is a segment that concerns me. I hope they can put it all together and succeed out there. I try to demand those qualities in the assigments, cases, and projects I require to prepare them for the real world of work. Since I came from out there, I lean my courses heavily upon developing applied skills. I get emails all the time thanking me for the experience, saying they are working on projects like the ones they had to complete in my courses. At our program orientation last night, I had three students thank me for teaching them data analyses on Excel, since they must perform them on their jobs presently. The irony is that some of them probably hated my guts during the course for assigning such work.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Haha, all signs of a good teacher right there.