What Is It About 20-Somethings? (NYT-rel)

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

If whining paid better my post would have been very different.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Another general point would be...if the mantra has been, you'll need a higher degree than just a bachelor's to make it in the economy of the future, then why pile onto those working to achieve higher degrees for being in school longer?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Capitalist > Arsonist

Hardly mutually exclusive, they just pay someone else to set the fire.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:

Capitalist > Arsonist

All arsonists start fires.......not all capitalist pay arsonists.....but yeah, every once in a while their paths cross.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm going to market a line of t-shirts that say "When the revolution comes, I'll be the first against the wall" so people can buy them for their capitalist friends and family. Nobody would ever wear them, but' I bet I'd sell a boatload.

bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:

Capitalist > Arsonist

Hey. We didn't start the fire.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Make sure to take insurance out on the structure and the peasants therein first.

DB_Cooper said:
    I'm going to market a line of t-shirts that say "When the revolution comes, I'll be the first against the wall" so people can buy them for their capitalist friends and family. Nobody would ever wear them, but' I bet I'd sell a boatload.

"My Daddy went to the Revolution and all he brought me back was this crappy T-Shirt"

• young twenties don't need to work they have VIRTUAL BOOTSTRAPS

sabadabada said:
    bassie said:
    Rockadelic said:

Capitalist > Arsonist

Hey. We didn't start the fire.

No? Nobody? Don't make me come crash my car into your house.

• i thought the article was a good read. the main thing is the "5 milestones" don't mean shit in an era when you can work wherever your laptop is. see everyone in journalism / computing / new technology / marketing / just about any line of work these days. why buy a house when you can move to berlin for a few months, then to amsterdam and still keep doing your job programming android apps. why have a kid when the web 2.0 experience means as an adult you have freedoms that were previously unheard of in the 70s. i know so many people in their 20s like that nowadays, and increasingly its not just "creative jobs".

also in the old school corporate jobs, companies seem to want more flexibility out of their workforce rather than the old manner of golden handcuffs, get you a car get your mortgage locked down get your your pension locked down BOOM job for life. i mean that makes fuck all financial sense for those companies that have had to expand and contract so much over the last few years with the changes in the economy. "crisis" well not really, more like a repricing of the baby boomer price bubble. But we still don't know when the shifting sand is gonna be still, until then employers are still going to be operating as cynically as they are at the moment. in the 90s we were all taught we should change jobs every couple of years in any case! wtf? plus the general post millenial pessimism 20 year olds are forcefed every day that i suspect boomers were not. anyway, great debate and very relevant.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'm just building up life experiences right now

after 40 I'm gonna knuckle down & write the Great American Novel

Dolphins are not only smarter than us, but they have a permanent smile on their faces. And as far as I can tell, they neither work nor ever meet any of the 5 milestones. I'm trying to live more like a dolphin.

HarveyCanal said:
    Dolphins are not only smarter than us, but they have a permanent smile on their faces. And as far as I can tell, they neither work nor ever meet any of the 5 milestones. I'm trying to live more like a dolphin.

Watch you dont end up in a can of tuna fish.

HarveyCanal said:

I've never seen a dolphin eating at Hoover's

• Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I've never seen a dolphin eating at Hoover's

NO DOLPHIN BONG AT AUSTIN

b/w

acid

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    Almond said:
    I am a 20-something and:

*when I was 14, the 9/11 attacks happened. I have never really known a time when "terrorism" was not a threat,
    *when I was still in high school, the nation went to war with Iraq,
    *when I was doing my undergrad coursework, the nation went into a enormous recession,
    *I start taking computer classes in kindergarten and I took my first typing class in school in 2nd grade.

Just off the top of my head, terrorism, technology and the economy have been the most significant phenomena to affect my generation, IMO. Maybe same-sex marriage and the first Black president, too.

You should probably have figured out by now that the terrorism threat is basically bullshit.

Oh, I know it's bullshit! The unfounded fear and subsequent discrimination against certain peoples has become an embarrassing facet of our society.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Almond said:
    The unfounded fear and subsequent discrimination against certain peoples has become an embarrassing facet of our society.

Man, this unfounded fear and subsequent discrimination is starting to get out of hand! I pine for teh good old days like the 1980s. And 1960s. And 1940s. And 1920s. And 1900s...

Almond said:
    The unfounded fear .

totally.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Hilarious idea.

b/w

Taking trolling to the real world.

Soulhawk said:
    let's all make wagers on what Almond will do with her degree
    Assistant --> get married --> have kids --> housewife --> assistant.

I find your traditional sequence of events to be sexist. I'll become an analyst or teacher. No need to make wagers, just ask. Sheesh.

Almond said:
    I'll become an analyst or teacher.

Oh for the love of God. And you can't decide between those two?!!?!?! Almond. Do you want to drive nice car, eat in fivestar retaurants all the time and send your kids to the Friends Academy. Or do you want to be a schnook?

Let the Motowns of the world be teachers, your kids will never have to go to their schools.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Almond said:
    I'll become an analyst or teacher.

Oh for the love of God. And you can't decide between those two?!!?!?! Almond. Do you want to drive nice car, eat in fivestar retaurants all the time and send your kids to the Friends Academy. Or do you want to be a schnook?

Friends Academy - yes
    5 star restaurants - pause
    nice car - last car on the 4 train

Delete

• Options
    Dude,

Almond will be whatever she wants to be. "I can tell by the way you do the things you do."

She is super intelligent, very considerate, an awesome writer, and strong.
    She is kind, modest, and courteous.

If I had a facebook I would recommend her on it.

:real_headz:

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Almond said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Soulhawk said:

I find your traditional sequence of events to be sexist. I'll become an analyst or teacher. No need to make wagers, just ask. Sheesh.

Almond, fuck all that noise. Go underground, build small bombs and send them to the Sabadabas of the world. Write manifestos against corporate citizenry and American Imperialism. You're in your 20s, do something stupid!

lilmonstu said:
    Dude,

Almond will be whatever she wants to be. "I can tell by the way you do the things you do."

Plaese to leave the lame hollaration to pm's.

• HarveyCanal said:
    lilmonstu said:
    Dude,

Plaese to leave the e-hollaration to Herm

fixed! ;)

Garcia_Vega said:
    Almond said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Soulhawk said:

Almond, fuck all that noise. Go underground, build small bombs and send them to the Sabadabas of the world. Write manifestos against corporate citizenry and American Imperialism. You're in your 20s, do something stupid!

I already do all that stuff.

Stop thinking I'm going to fund your retirement, Saba.

• Options
    if there is nothing in Almond's posts for you I understand completely and am not surprised.

I am not like Herm and I dont commit acts of hollaration on soulstrut, just supporting the strutters with soul.

:get_on_my_level: