What Is It About 20-Somethings? (NYT-rel)

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    do what you can to help out your neighbors in greater need.

Which is exactly zero when you can't even take care of yourself or your own family. But it sure sounds nice to say it.

I know plenty of people who barely make their own ends meet, who either work or volunteer for efforts that help out others in greater need. Charity means more than just giving away an unneeded portion of your over-bloated income.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Which is exactly zero when you can't even take care of yourself or your own family. But it sure sounds nice to say it.

I know plenty of people who barely make their own ends meet, who either work or volunteer for efforts that help out others in greater need. Charity means more than just giving away an unneeded portion of your over-bloated income.

I'm sure all those sociology and political science degrees come in handy at the habitat for humanity builds. Good for nothing but raking up garbage or hauling roofing shingles maybe if you have a strong back.

• sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'm sure all those sociology and political science degrees come in handy at the habitat for humanity builds. Good for nothing but raking up garbage or hauling roofing shingles maybe if you have a strong back.

This is some serious asshole shit right here.

sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Or you can get an engineering degree and then help manufacture bombs with depleted uranium in them that cause birth defects far beyond their intended targets. Or how about a finance degree so you can then swindle people out of billions and then get reimbursed for it once you've tucked it all away in an offshore account. I mean, that's some practicality right there.

Fuck helping poor people build shelters for themselves. That's loser talk right there.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Or you can get an engineering degree and then help manufacture bombs with depleted uranium in them that cause birth defects far beyond their intended targets. Or how about a finance degree so you can then swindle people out of billions and then get reimbursed for it once you've tucked it all away in an offshore account. I mean, that's some practicality right there.

Fuck helping poor people build shelters for themselves. That's loser talk right there.

Because no engineers have ever built anything that's helped anyone before.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'm merely pointing out that most charities would rather have the money than the "help" of a bunch of unskilled volunteer do-gooders.

And also, did you know these "so-called volunteers" don't even get paid.

HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Because no engineers have ever built anything that's helped anyone before.

I was being 100% sarcastic. But since you rang, modern engineers have built the most spectacular failing society the world has seen since Atlantis. We can blow the entire world up 500X's over....hooray!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    let's all make wagers on what Almond will do with her degree

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I stretched college out to 27, which was fun while it lasted, but these days I'm finding far more satisfaction in actual labor. The money and the work is out there for people with strong backs and sufficient hustle. Step your bootstraps up, my young brothers. No sympathy.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'm merely pointing out that most charities would rather have the money than the "help" of a bunch of unskilled volunteer do-gooders.

HEDGE

• I'm 36 and I still live like a 23 year old, but with better taste and a larger collection of shit.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    Assistant --> get married --> have kids --> housewife --> assistant.

Reynaldo said:
    I stretched college out to 27, which was fun while it lasted, but these days I'm finding far more satisfaction in actual labor. The money and the work is out there for people with strong backs and sufficient hustle. Step your bootstraps up, my young brothers. No sympathy.

It's the faulty expectations for birth-righted riches that are out of wack with reality, not so much the work-ethic and initiative and skill and such. Nothing wrong with communal living in my book. In fact, it's the way things had been for 3,000 years before Hugh Hefner.

Soulhawk said:

It sounds like she's going to do pretty well. She made all the right moves and should be finishing her advance degree around the time the job market starts to pick up.

DCarfagna said:
    I'm 36 and I still live like a 23 year old, but with better taste and a larger collection of shit.

you still date 23 yr olds though right?

lolz

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Soulhawk said:

It sounds like she's going to do pretty well. She made all the right moves and should be finishing her advance degree around the time the job market starts to pick up.

Ive read some reports that it might take a decade for the job market to reach its pre-2007 level

sabadabada said:
    Soulhawk said:

Serious question: What is driving this projected pick-up in the job market?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Not all volunteer work is for charities.

If you do want use the example of H4H, if it weren't for all the volunteers, they would not have achieved as much as they have...nor would they exist.
    Go tell it to someone who has a house they helped build with members of their community, that they own and which provides dignified living conditions for their children.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Thirty years ago I felt the same way as many of today's 20-somethings. When I left college the only/best job I could find was sweeping the floor at a printing company, which was at least in the field I was interested in at the time, graphic arts. I made minimum wage(I believe it was $2.35 an hour) and felt I had no prospects whatsoever.

I came to work everyday and tried to convince management I was willing to work hard, regardless of the task or pay, and within 16 months I was sent to Texas to run their newest plant where I wound up working 120 hours a week on a salary which wound up working out to less than minimum wage per hour.

I left and took an entry level position at the company I'm at now and worked my way into a position and field I had virtually no experience in, nor that my degree related to in any way. Again, by just showing people I was willing to work hard, take pride in what I was doing and acting like I had vested interest in the company, which in the long run, I obviously did.

But it also meant working a part-time job to make ends meet......to driving used POS cars instead of new ones.....the first house I bought was in a slum and far from our "dream house". My wife and I waited 8 years before we had kids because we were certain we couldn't afford them. It was a long, hard road with sacrifices and lots of hard work.

I don't see a lot of young people today willing to take that path (I'm basing this on my two kids and their peers). They get out of college and expect to get a job that pays $60K and up right off the bat.....that's what many have been told by their professors that they SHOULD get paid, but few opportunities like that are out there. When I was 23 I could not have afforded a cell phone, I-Phone, or even a computer....but today these things are almost mandatory....and expensive. And as HC pointed out, expectations are beyond reality.

Bottom line is if any of you had seen my life when I was 23 you would have thought it sucked, with no future.....that's exactly how I felt about it.....but I was raised to think that hard work pays off.....and it did....and in my estimation, still does.

HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    Soulhawk said:

When the democrats lose the House, and it becomes clear to Businesses that Obama's reign of terror is over (but seriously business loves deadlock because they know that nothing is going to happen and it removes risk from the market).

sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    sabadabada said:
    Soulhawk said:

When the democrats lose the House, and it becomes clear to Businesses that Obama's reign of terror is over (but seriously business loves deadlock because they know that nothing is going to happen and it removes risk from the market).

Oh my god...ROTFL. You're serious too. Wow!

Rockadelic said:
    Thirty years ago I felt the same way as many of today's 20-somethings. When I left college the only/best job I could find was sweeping the floor at a printing company, which was at least in the field I was interested in at the time, graphic arts. I made minimum wage(I believe it was $2.35 an hour) and felt I had no prospects whatsoever.

I came to work everyday and tried to convince management I was willing to work hard, regardless of the task or pay, and within 16 months I was sent to Texas to run their newest plant where I wound up working 120 hours a week on a salary which wound up working out to less than minimum wage per hour.

I left and took an entry level position at the company I'm at now and worked my way into a position and field I had virtually no experience in, nor that my degree related to in any way. Again, by just showing people I was willing to work hard, take pride in what I was doing and acting like I had vested interest in the company, which in the long run, I obviously did.

But it also meant working a part-time job to make ends meet......to driving used POS cars instead of new ones.....the first house I bought was in a slum and far from our "dream house". My wife and I waited 8 years before we had kids because we were certain we couldn't afford them. It was a long, hard road with sacrafices and lots of hard work.

I don't see a lot of young people today willing to take that path (I'm basing this on my two kids and their peers). They get out of college and expect to get a job that pays $60K and up right off the bat.....that's what many have been told by their professors that they SHOULD get paid, but few opportunities like that are out there. When I was 23 I could not have afforded a cell phone, I-Phone, or even a computer....but today these things are almost mandatory....and expensive. And as HC pointed out, expectations are beyond reality.

Bottom line is if any of you had seen my life when I was 23 you would have thought it sucked, with no future.....that's exactly how I felt about it.....but I was raised to think that hard work pays off.....and it did....and in my estimation, still does.

I cried at the end, did you?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hahaha, look at this troll! Saba you capitalist pig, your house in Westchester will be the first to burn!

Garcia_Vega said:
    sabadabada said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hahaha, look at this troll! Saba you capitalist pig, your house in Westchester will be the first to burn!

Capitalist > Arsonist

sabadabada said:
    Rockadelic said:

But it also meant working a part-time job to make ends meet......to driving used POS cars instead of new ones.....the first house I bought was in a slum and far from our "dream house". My wife and I waited 8 years before we had kids because we were certain we couldn't afford them. It was a long, hard road with sacrafices and lots of hard work.

I cried at the end, did you?

the quintessential Rockadelic post

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    [del]Capitalist > Arsonist[/del]

REVOLUTIONARY > Capitalist Pig

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    but I was raised to think that hard work pays off.....and it did....and in my estimation, still does.

i was also raised this way, but most [del]20-somethings[/del] people are not familiar with this ideology.

Soulhawk said:

the quintessential Rockadelic post

If whining paid better my post would have been very different.

[del]Capitalist > Arsonist[/del]

REVOLUTIONARY > Capitalist Pig

Only if your family gets the T-Shirt rights after your death.