theo parrish

BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
okay so he's not really soulstrut approved, but he should be.

http://www.factmag.com/2010/08/25/the-essential-theo-parrish/

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Actually, he comes up on the Board at least once a year - I smiled when I saw your thread title for that reason.
    He's got his fans around here.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    okay so he's not really soulstrut approved, /quote]

really?
    most theo stuff

• salute! dude is the truth

• theo is a great Dj has a great philosphy behind his Djing and seems like a really cool animated dude. But i'm not a fan of his production,

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Theo is pretty much SoulStrut approved. (in my mind garden atleast, I've certainly never heard any negativity towards him)[I stand corrected]

Kenny Dixon Jr. also gets plenty of love around here.

• Theo - a legend!

He's playing in Malm??, Sweden the 11th of September. Can't wait

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

dope!

btw, what happened to sundays ustream though?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I dig some Theo.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

Funny you should mention him. I've been on a major Theo jag for a few weeks now. Also, whilst this probably ought to be in the Soundcloud thread, I thought one or two of your things bore a bit of a Theo influence.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    theo kills it, everytime i see him play

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    The Ugly Edits series is good stuff too.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    That Jill Scott remix still sounds so great, I'll dig that out tomorrow, almost forgot I had it! Can't wait to see him perform at the Paradiso in Amsterdam in about a month.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Thanks for the link.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Not familiar with much recent stuff that Theo's been doing as lost touch with that scene so reading this was a decent reminder that I've been wrongly sleeping on his post 2000 output. Nice article Nick, thanks for sharing.

• cheers pals, yes junior if anything he has got better. Sound Sculptures is pretty damn brilliant.

i wonder if anyone on here has either of these (never heard either).

-sketches LP 3 x 12" - limited to 150 copies, hand painted, sold through Hard Wax berlin. dropped may this year. now selling for $$$$$$$$$$

-Mustang 1 - a - peaches and prunes (theo parrish edit) b Olvier Sain - Boogie (kenny dixon jr) edit. ltd to 100 copies, sold at DEMF.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    cheers pals, yes junior if anything he has got better. Sound Sculptures is pretty damn brilliant.

i wonder if anyone on here has either of these (never heard either).

-Mustang 1 - a - peaches and prunes (theo parrish edit) b Olvier Sain - Boogie (kenny dixon jr) edit. ltd to 100 copies, sold at DEMF.

These are some great edits, I especially like the KDJ one, but haven't been able to find the 12" myself either.

• i love the originals of both (and the ron edit of the former) so i just have to hear that one! goes for $$$$

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i love the originals of both (and the ron edit of the former) so i just have to hear that one! goes for $$$$

You can hear it in this set (at around 14:00)

http://www.fullbozman.com/moodymann-live-at-motor-detroit

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    Theo is the man. Have seen him i think 4 times. Your favourite DJ's favourite DJ type status. I really like his take on things. Also he was probably the first DJ I ever saw live that didn't do any scratching or tricks in the mix but I was completely blown away by (this was i think 8 years ago when my mindset was very "hip hop" for want of a better way to describe it). Peace.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    "heal yourself and move" is one for the ages.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    wow, 20 posts and no mention of his excessive eqing.

Don`t get me wrong I appreciate his approach to house music a lot and I like his music selection but unfortunatly his abuse of the eqs spoils everything for me.

What do you guys think about it?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    finelikewine said:

Don`t get me wrong I appreciate his approach to house music a lot and I like his music selection but unfortunatly his abuse of the eqs spoils everything for me.

There was a related 5pager thread on DJ history about this.

http://www.djhistory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58050

re:this youtube

personally, i think the youtube clip is a little hard to swallow, but if I was there in real life I think i'd probably be of a different opinion, as I've never had a problem with him doing it live.

In fact i really enjoy it!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the idea that theo parrish would not be a 'soulstrut approved' artist is ... hysterical. moodyman is the only house producer who would prob get more props around here

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    also his eqing is awesome cmon

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hello friends,

I like Theo Parrish. He has made some good music and he is a good DJ.

Kindly,
    parallax

• finelikewine said:

he used to use a 7 band isolator a lot, he also used to tweak every track to death, it could be a bit too much at times. 7 bands with a lot of boost can be a bit hard on the eardrums at loud volume.

at plastics nowadays he uses

which is a lot more musical sounding and less of an assault on the ears.

i like it when he does it, specially when he's playing acid. he really doesn't do it as much as he used to and not as much as joe claussell for example.

• Saw him in Kyoto many years ago with the 3 chairs tour. Awesome selection and hand the crowd in the palm of his hand .

Despite this and i do dig what he does as a Dj i am not a fan of the EQuing thing.. Joe Clausell has a thing for it as well

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    theo never gets old to me
    and i need that mixer in the worst way.

• Lumin said:
    theo never gets old to me
    and i need that mixer in the worst way.

Yes and yes.

• finelikewine said:

I think the post is about his productions, rather than he djing which is why no one has mentioned the eqing...

That clip from the source festival cracks me up though, but I think the bad audio on the video makes it seem worse than it is...