revisiting some old school hip hop

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
been buying some titles lately that I had in grade school/midddle school.some observations-The Skinny Boys- sounds like the poor mans Ultramagnetics lolThree Times Dope- shit still rules my worldD-Nice "call me" hells yeahPoor Righteous Teacher's - rock this funky joint indeed!P.S. ebay rules in the summertime yowhats up nightcrew? who else is drunk??!holla!

Comments

• you call this old school? it's maybe older hiphop, but this ain't old school!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    you call this old school? it's maybe older hiphop, but this ain't old school!

Old school purist.

Old school = Herc's great grandpa rhymin' to his banjo.

Didn't you know? Old school is anything that hasn't been on the radio for a few months.

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts

MMM drunk!

I met a gentleman today who worked for Mercury back in the day. Helped sign Curtis Blow to major label. That old skool nough!? Peace.

• Anyone remember Rumpletillskinz?

I sold the cd years ago, but now I wanna hear that shit again.

EDIT I know it's not "old school", but it is in regards to what the OP was talking about

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Dog, all that shit is definitely old school. Sorry.

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts

don't want to discuss about that, but definitely NO. why was at there at the same time a group called "leaders of the new school"? and krs one and just ice did a song back in 1986 called "going back to the old school"? new school started with run dmc. and please don't tell your quote to GMF or somebody of that league...

• awallawall 673 Posts

don't want to discuss about that, but definitely NO. why was at there at the same time a group called "leaders of the new school"? and krs one and just ice did a song back in 1986 called "going back to the old school"? new school started with run dmc. and please don't tell your quote to GMF or somebody of that league...

we all know there that freddy fresh bullshit about how "old school" is pre-drum machines and "new school" is after sampling and shit...but that's just something made up by nerd collectors to help sort out the changes that hip hop went through in 80s. this definition exists totally outside of the real world application of the word because the only people that care about subdividing "old school" "mid school" and "new school" are anal disco rap collectors and euros. if you don't belive me go to "old school" night at and club and bitch to the DJ when he's playing big daddy kane.

what was new then ain't new now.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

MMM drunk!

Isn't it, like, a sign of alcoholism to be drinking alone?

Isn't it also a bit lame?

Do any of you really sit at the computer and get drunk by yourself?

• awallawall 673 Posts

i think it's more people coming home drunk and going on the internet before they go to bed. as for me, tonight i had a party at my house. and i'm chilling on the computer after most folks have left. that's my excuse

• awallawall 673 Posts
    p.s. poor righteous teacher was my shit. i have a tape somewhere that needs to be dug up.

gotta go. i'm tired now and these cluster mp3s are going to listen to themself. GOODNIGHT.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

i think it's more people coming home drunk and going on the internet before they go to bed. as for me, tonight i had a party at my house. and i'm chilling on the computer after most folks have left. that's my excuse

Ahh ok, that makesmore sense. That hadn't occured to me, cause when i get home from a party/gig, sleep is usually the only thing I'm thinking about.

I must be getting old!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Anyhow, back to the hip-hop...

I've been bumping the reissue of the Freestyle Professors EP, I really dig it, got a unique quality to it... mad production!

peace.

Dog, no it's not. Sorry.

it's "old school" the way a 12 year old says "your cellphone is hella old school" or the way BET runs "Mo Money Mo Problems" as the old school joint of the day. Are you on BET?

it's not "old school" in the context of a music discussion board filled with people who know what they're talking about when they say "old school".

Treacherous Three is old school
    Funky Four Plus One More is old school

These groups named are actually kind of new school. Esp PRT, Wise was definitely on some next shit with his rhyme patterns.

PRT fucking rules.

Skinny Boys is awesome on "Jock Box".

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Thank you!!!!

we all know there that freddy fresh bullshit about how "old school" is pre-drum machines and "new school" is after sampling and shit...but that's just something made up by nerd collectors to help sort out the changes that hip hop went through in 80s. this definition exists totally outside of the real world application of the word because the only people that care about subdividing "old school" "mid school" and "new school" are anal disco rap collectors and euros. if you don't belive me go to "old school" night at and club and bitch to the DJ when he's playing big daddy kane.

what was new then ain't new now.

Nerd collectors didnt define the term "old School", the streets did. People tend to forget it not about the "old" but more about the "school". The "School" is where the blueprint was drafted. So for folks who use that term too loosely I say

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i checked it out officially guys, old school is anything that was made before Black Rob's "Woah"

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

No it isn't dude. Sorry. 5% Percent mc's and the kind of sample-heavy beats these cats used are like the textbook definition of new-school rap. I would expect you to know that. People on here have some really fucked up conceptions about hip hop, and they hold them forth like incontrovertable truths (this is not really directed at you Bsides). That Shadow thread for instance: it's okay to be a newbooty, but it's not okay to sit there and complain about being treated as one. It's also not cool to offer up bullshit ideas and then get all ass-hurt when people call you out on it. It used to be you had to earn your respect in this subculture, but not anymore apparently.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    why was at there at the same time a group called "leaders of the new school"?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    christ, I guess I should've called this thread "revisiting some late 80's hip hop".

christ, I guess I should've called this thread "revisiting some late 80's hip hop".

This is different

from this

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    thanks for clarifying batman

thanks for clarifying batman

Your welcome maracca male.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

lol. back on topic, that d-nice is fire. although his 1st LP kills the 2nd.

some observations-The Skinny Boys- sounds like the poor mans Ultramagnetics lol

This should be in the underrated hip hop thread. Bridgeport, Conn. Hip Hop.They had mad radio play back then. I thought Connecticut would become a superpower like Philadelphia after the Skinny Boys dropped. This album doesnt resemble Ultra at all,IMO.More like RUN-DMC. I've never heard the second LP, maybe that sounds like Ultra mini-me?

Super Jay, Shockin' Shawn, and the Human Jockbox. "We're Awesome"