Jerk My Chicken

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
I copped some Pimento Wood Chips and plan on taking my Jerk steez to a whole new level.

Rep yo Local Jerk Exp.

Toronto??
Brooklyn?
Uptown?
Magnetic?

Veggies are allowed.

Comments

• Awesome. Only jerk experience I have is from my old roommate from Jamaica. That dude had a knack for taking the most random condiments and making some bomb ass food.

Any jerk in LA?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Batmonz, do you have a bbq? How you plan on doing it?
    VA Beach has a great Jamaican place, and so does Albany.

• while i'm sure there's a hot kitchen somewhere in toronto that i'm not up on yet, albert's on st clair is still hittin it for me. top 3 would include rap's on west eglinton and the real jerk at broadview.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I don't partake much in authentic jerk chicken but on the rare occasion i'll get the jerked pork, what i mostly get is pan chicken (grilled chicken done with similar spices stuffed with scallions and scotch bonnet peppers cooked over regular coals) i think the local ingredients make a big difference not sure how you will replicate that in NYC.
    There is jerk rotisserie chicken available in most super markets here, imo it doesn't stand up to the real deal though.

If any of you ever make it to Kingston there is a spot across from the American Embassy in Liguanea on the sidewalk in front of Northside Plaza that does the best pan chicken in Kingston they operate in the nighttime only.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I just remembered there's another popular spot on the corner of Mannings Hill Rd and Whitehall Ave that smoke their stuff over Pimento wood,they're recommended.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Batmonz, do you have a bbq? How you plan on doing it?
    VA Beach has a great Jamaican place, and so does Albany.

No real BBQ here. Just a good marinade, roof grill, and ill be adding some Pimento wood chips to the fire.

I tried to make a homeade Jerk marinade but it was wack. So ill just add some fresh thyme and habaneros/or scotch bonnets to Walker'sWood Jerk stuff.

Ive been doin it for a minute in the oven, ,but now im tryin to step my grill game up.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    notting hill this weekend. yes

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Nattinill street jerk is always machete'd up, so there are lots of pieces of broken bones to mitigate - don't just take gobfuls and hope for the best.

That brown sugar crystal sweet ting is good. They do it in Brasil too, I can't remember the name (no it's not crack or horse).

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    sugarting=demerara

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jamaican-wise: Stewed chicken > jerk chicken .

Jerk pork though...can't be effed with.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    There are honestly a massive amount of jerk spots in Toronto (I wouldn't doubt in the hundreds). It doesn't matter, you could be out in Oakville and still find decent jerk.

I'm usually hitting the same spots. Caribbean Queen, Alberts, Plenty of spots on Eglinton Ave. like Mainsha.

Tho, to be fair, I'm usually eating roti at most spots now.

But when I do eat jerk, rice n' peas and coleslaw are almost as important to me, just as much as the jerk.

Away from Jerk, my fav Jamaican spot is One Love. They have a spot up on Bathurst just north of bloor which does this amazing corn soup. But I love the stand down at harbourfront and the corn... Lawd have mercy!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DOR said:
    There are honestly a massive amount of jerk spots in Toronto (I wouldn't doubt in the hundreds). It doesn't matter, you could be out in Oakville and still find decent jerk.

Yes.
    Not to cop out on the original question, but you need to find someone who is willing to share a recipe (or at least a basic one that you can make your own) who will take them time to walk you through it through some trials and errors. I know "homemade is best" is a good rule to follow for all cooking, but for things that are so reliant on the perfect combination and secret squirrel ingredients (I would put pad thai, berbere mixtures and dhal on that list) I say look on the homefront.

I had already stopped eating meat when I really got into cooking, so I have never attempted it.

DOR said:

Plenty of spots on Eglinton Ave. like Mainsha.

The best Mainsha is the one on Keele south of Eglinton.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Making Jerk marinade is easy.. I'm sure perfecting it takes time, like everything, but the basic recipe is simple.

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/jerk_chicken.htm (text version)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have a version that includes nutmeg and cinnamon,scallions, and omits the OJ.

I dont think there is a concrete Jerk recipe.

I doubt the entire island and its diasporan family follows the exact same ingrediants.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You're right, there will always be variations as it's a 'folk food', for want of a better term. But every recipe I've ever seen has been a version/variation of the above.

• DOR said:

I'm usually hitting the same spots. Caribbean Queen, Alberts, Plenty of spots on Eglinton Ave. like Mainsha.

Tho, to be fair, I'm usually eating roti at most spots now.

But when I do eat jerk, rice n' peas and coleslaw are almost as important to me, just as much as the jerk.

Away from Jerk, my fav Jamaican spot is One Love. They have a spot up on Bathurst just north of bloor which does this amazing corn soup. But I love the stand down at harbourfront and the corn... Lawd have mercy!!!

• weird. quoted without my addition.

I was just following the comment about even being able to get jerk in oakville (the high-income anglosaxon suburb of toronto by the way).

whenever I work in oakville (like today), I stop in at Ranee's on kerr st. highly recommended if west-ended.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

I was just following the comment about even being able to get jerk in oakville (the high-income anglosaxon suburb of toronto by the way).

Which used to be a stop on the Underground Railroad.