Dr. Dre....WTF?!?!?!

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Seriously, dude.

"Turn Me On"

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Haven't listened yet, but was surprised that no one commented on this little gem either:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Ugh.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That's who he is. What other kind of record can he make at this point?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I'm one that will say I stopped checking for Dre when I knew DETOX was never coming out.

• the singing/rapping is blah

the beat is kind of interesting though - i was expecting worse. The chord changeups 1:38-1:43 i like alot..

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    If he's looking to make anything remotely like the sales on Detox that he did on 2001 then this would seem like the sensible route to go. I mean I don't know if a straight rap album would be any good these days anyway, I'm struggling to think of the last great beat he did.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    shooterali said:
    I'm one that will say I stopped checking for Dre when I knew DETOX was never coming out.

I stopped checking Dr Dre after The DOC and JJ Fad.

:hated_it:

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I like it better than most of the stuff Dre did after 2001. It's not great but decent at least. Reminds me more of Bugz In The Attic, Jack Splash stuff but that's way better than what he did for Eminem.
    This snippet is enough for making me want to check out the album.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    sounds like some bad slum?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    fusking terrible song.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    that dr dre HP shit was weak...not much of a let down as i havent been felling the dre since 2001, once i saw the headphones in bestbuy i called sellout...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Isn't B-Sides working for Dre these days?

so this convo prompted me to dig into thwe wiki for some info on Dre....i was actually quite surprised with some of the shit i read...i have been a fan for a while now, bought Straight Outta Compton when it first dropped....but i was really surprised to read this:

It is acknowledged that most of Dr. Dre's raps are written for him by others, though he retains ultimate control over his lyrics and the themes of his songs. As Aftermath producer Mahogany told Scratch: "It's like a class room in [the booth]. He'll have three writers in there. They'll bring in something, he'll recite it, then he'll say. 'Change this line, change this word,' like he's grading papers." As seen in the credits for tracks Young has appeared on, there are often multiple people who contribute to his songs (although it should be noted that often in hip hop many people are officially credited as a writer for a song, even the producer).

i dunno man, maybe i missed sumthin growing up, but i am shocked that he doesnt write his own lyrics..maybe i am from a fictional time and place where i thought everyone wrote their own shit...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Then I guess you'll be even more shocked to find out that he doesn't always produce his own beats.

^^ naw that doesnt shock me as much and a new that from the get-go...

its the lyrics that just friggin bedazzle me though...and when albums drop they go on and on about the originalty, and rawness, and how lyrics portray real life in compton and blah blah blah...

and how the artist tells it like it is....meh!...

1. i feel cheated/like and idiot some what for not knowing
    2. and let down a bit as well i guess for thinking that Dre would be the type to "keep it real" and write his own shit..giving how long hes "been in the game"

damn! he might as well resort to being a cover artist... HP looks good on him the more i think about it...

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    what is with that space-age serial killer mask dre has on in his new laptop commercials?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    i dunno man, maybe i missed sumthin growing up, but i am shocked that he doesnt write his own lyrics...

You bought Straight Outta Compton when it dropped, and are just finding out now that Dre never wrote his own lyrics? You know that NWA isn't a bunch of mass murderers, right?

^^ ha ha ha ha...yeah!

well this is why i am coming off as a lame ass, because again i figured someone like dre would be writting his own shit...i know that a lot of artists do this ghostwritting shit (thats not surprising) the fact that dre (of all people) are one of those is what surprises me the most...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    ^^^ wtf

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    ^^ ha ha ha ha...yeah!

well this is why i am coming off as a lame ass, because again i figured someone like dre would be writting his own shit...i know that a lot of artists do this ghostwritting shit (thats not surprising) the fact that dre (of all people) are one of those is what surprises me the most...

I thought it was common knowledge, even in the NWA days his lyrics where wrote for him.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    He needs to go back to stealing beats.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Sigh....

I promise you theres some pretty awesome tracks in the vault over there, i somehow doubt you will ever hear them....this was definitely not one of my favorites.

I havent really worked in there in a while...who knows whats going on.

Sigh....

I promise you theres some pretty awesome tracks in the vault over there, i somehow doubt you will ever hear them....this was definitely not one of my favorites.

I havent really worked in there in a while...who knows whats going on.

^^ yeah each track named after a planet...lol i read that in the wiki article earlier...

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    I just don't know any more

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts

• Craig said:

I thought it was common knowledge, even in the NWA days his lyrics where wrote for him.

Ice Cube wrote most of Easy's rhymes too - in case that isn't common knowledge..

gravelheadwrap said:

Did he really say this? lol, oh man...talk about off the deep end.

oh well....

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    disco_che said:
    I like it better than most of the stuff Dre did after 2001. It's not great but decent at least. Reminds me more of Bugz In The Attic, Jack Splash stuff but that's way better than what he did for Eminem.
    This snippet is enough for making me want to check out the album.

Yea I am with you here.. the lyrics were pretty weak and this is obviously a very unfinished version of the song, but it isn't that shocking that he went in the direction he did.