Rap Thread: A Tribe Called Quest's Final Album

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How old were you in 1998?

Jspr said:
    HIP HOOOOOOOOOOOPPP!!

Who the fuck wants another Tribe album in 2011?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I never really hated BRM at all. I lump it with Stakes is High, because they're both kinda post-the-groups-bes-output, but i still enjoy it.

TLM: i can't add anything that hasn't been said. didnt feel it at first, tried to revisit to no success.

• i was 12 when jam on it came out

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    2/15 ("Find A Way" & "Rock Rock Y'all"). Don't have time for mediocre schitt.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I see The Love Movement as Dilla trying to mold Tribe into the Slum Village style, which was more ride-the-rhythm focused than being strong lyrically. (That changed after he left the group with Elzhi's contributions.)

This album came out around the time that Dilla was focusing more on production for other established artists. I recall Dilla saying in an interview that during those sessions, out of loyalty and trying to put Detroit on, he would play Slum tracks for anyone who would listen, and industry people basically laughed at them. Might explain the disconnect most classic Tribe fans have with this release.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    cove said:
    I never really hated BRM at all. I lump it with Stakes is High, because they're both kinda post-the-groups-bes-output, but i still enjoy it.

Hey,

I must say that I totally disagree with this comparison. "Stakes is High" is a solid album whereas "Beats, Rhymes, and Life" is not. The production alone on "Stakes is High" sons the shit out of "Beats, Rhymes, and Life," not to mention the obvious difference in lyrical quality. I see the two LPs as apples and oranges.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The Love Movement sounded like all their good records burned up in that fire.
    Phife was sick.
    QTip was busy fuckin Janet.
    Something had to give. Perhaps they shoulda dialed up Lucien and Jarobi to lay down some rapz.
    6/10

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    CinisterCee said:

Here you go, Cinister!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The_Non said:
    The Love Movement sounded like all their good records burned up in that fire.
    At the time I thought that was the reason for a more sparse (hollow) approach.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    cove said:

Hey,

I must say that I totally disagree with this comparison. "Stakes is High" is a solid album whereas "Beats, Rhymes, and Life" is not. The production alone on "Stakes is High" sons the shit out of "Beats, Rhymes, and Life," not to mention the obvious difference in lyrical quality. I see the two LPs as apples and oranges.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i prefer Stakes is High, too.
    i just find them similar cuz they were both sorta hated on by a portion of their fans and marked a drop-off in quality.

cove said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    cove said:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i prefer Stakes is High, too.
    i just find them similar cuz they were both sorta hated on by a portion of their fans and marked a drop-off in quality.

True 'dat, Cove!!! I had to drop a big up for "Stakes is High" as it tends to get shitted on on the 'Strut.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I didn't mind the love movement. Tho, I wish it had more tracks like such on it.

• GoblahGoblah 35 Posts
    Haven't listened to either album in years. Obviously representative of ATCQ's decline. But there are a couple of jams on both albums I still like...

BRL: Get A Hold, Word Play
    TLM: Find A Way, Like It Like That

This thread actually makes me want to check out these albums again. I cut for SV's "Volume Two", so it would be interesting to hear these albums again with a slightly different ear.

PEACE
    G'

• This album stinks. I don't like dilla or consequence. They ruined tribe. Q Tip wants to be prince and Phife wants to be some sort of jamaican hybrid rapper. If the the love "movement' was to make incredibly boring albums they succeeded.

This is probably the most "hating" I've ever done in a post here ever. I'm sorry. At least we have the first three albums.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    drewnice said:
    I see The Love Movement as Dilla trying to mold Tribe into the Slum Village style, which was more ride-the-rhythm focused than being strong lyrically. (That changed after he left the group with Elzhi's contributions.)

This album came out around the time that Dilla was focusing more on production for other established artists. I recall Dilla saying in an interview that during those sessions, out of loyalty and trying to put Detroit on, he would play Slum tracks for anyone who would listen, and industry people basically laughed at them. Might explain the disconnect most classic Tribe fans have with this release.

So do you think it works?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I dig some of the individual tracks, but always skipped thru the album (even during my first listen).

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i remember buying TLM the day it was released. a couple tracks in, this will get better. halfway through, this isn't going to improve. then the posse cut w/ the chick rapper rhyming words ending in -ology 25 times happened.

• There are a couple cuts on Stakes Is High that pop into my head every so often. So I broke it out a few weeks back to re-evaluate.

It still is a decent-to-good album that, considering who made it, is a tremendous step down.

• Have enjoyed revisits to both BRL and TLM over the years.
    Both albums were huge disappointments to me when they dropped, but both sound ok to me years latter.
    TLM has a few stinkers on it and a few I really enjoy like Pen and Pad, Rock Rock Y'all, and even the opening track with Tips robotic style rap.
    So as an album it's not all that good but not all that bad at the same time.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    BR&L was great - i loved the production, even though it was different from midnight marauders, it felt current at the time. I love that flip of Crykle and Jam - i think most of the album is incredible beatswise. I thought the inclusion of Consequence was strange initially, but i grew to really enjoy his parts, his voice especially. I give it an 8/10.

Love Movement seemed really sterile to me - I didn't pick it up so not really qualified to speak on it except it seemed like a huge step down from BR&L. I don't think it's really fair that they're lumped together so often.

I loved Amplified, I thought the beats were on point- incredible at best (lets ride) and adventurous at worst. The only truly awful moment is the Korn colab. What was he thinking?? The last track is Tip talking about ATCQ, their breakup, his trials and tribulations. I thought that was a great track and really heartfelt. Everyone around me was hating on the album at the time mostly due to a) the terrible cover, b) the first single 'vivrant thing' having a more commercial sound and video. None of that ever bothered me - 8/10 again.

Stakes Is High is incredible - 9/10

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Spacecho said:

Ban

edpowers said:

Ban

ooooooh :weaksauce:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I'm w/ Harvey on this, I didn't even bother buying TLM upon release. And I only bought the single, Stressed out offa BRL. As a fan those albums sounded like sell out's.
    Been bumping the first three albums in my ride again for the first time in a very long time, and loving them as much as I ever did.

• edpowers said:
    Spacecho said:

Ban

Ban him for liking Consequence! lol

FunkyFlatulent said:
    edpowers said:
    Spacecho said:

Ban

Ban him for liking Consequence! lol

While not a fan of the solo tracks i have heard i think he is good on BRL. Obviously its a different vibe than the previous Tribe albums but i think it works well in its own way.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    i remember buying TLM the day it was released. a couple tracks in, this will get better. halfway through, this isn't going to improve. then the posse cut w/ the chick rapper rhyming words ending in -ology 25 times happened.

Lol, I think I had the exact same experience. Cut class with my boy to drive over to sam goody, and we were in the car on the way back giving each song 30 seconds, trying to stay positive. We were pretty gutted by the time we got out of the car..

So all the "Dilla Changed My Life" muthafuckas are mad chirp on this album?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    FunkyFlatulent said:
    This album stinks. I don't like dilla or consequence. They ruined tribe. Q Tip wants to be prince and Phife wants to be some sort of jamaican hybrid rapper. If the the love "movement' was to make incredibly boring albums they succeeded.

This is probably the most "hating" I've ever done in a post here ever. I'm sorry. At least we have the first three albums.

surprisingly to me, i am pretty much in agreement here. in many ways BR&L was a big change for me (in '96 i was a Sr in high school at the time) as while i thought i should and wanted to like this album, it just couldn't hold for me. one of the first times i realized my favorite rappers could make crap records. And BR&L can't hold a candle to Stakes, and that is coming from someone that only casually likes Stakes is High nowadays.

TLM didn't even register for me. I think i bought the single to play the instrumental only during my college radio show radio breaks. crap album and I was always under the impression it was made just so Q could pursue his solo career.