The "Recommend a Slept-On Album that Can Be Found Cheap" Thread

Comments

• i think i always say the same thing when this topic comes out, but when it comes to super-common cheap albums that too often get passed up, this is 1 of my favorites. i guess it might seem like an obvious buy to some, but most of my friends have never bothered w/it due to the cheesiness of the title track. rest of the album is awesome, imho.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    pickwick33 said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    BAN

B/W

despite the folky drawings of acoustic guitars on the front and back covers, and the cornball Harry Chapin-esque album title, this LP is actually funked-up soul jazz from the early 70's with a great band including Cornell Dupree and Ray Barretto. I'm sure it would fall under "tacky funk" for many, but if this LP were on Blue Note it would get sweated, and I have found multiple copies all over the place, for $5 or less every time. I bet if you bid on one on eBay you could get it for like $4. Try getting Jack Wilkins for $4 ...

I gotta get my ass out to Boston, then, because I've never seen this. At. All.

Heard of it, seen pictures of it, been on the lookout for it, read an old interview with Berliner where he made reference to it, have a Mainstream various-artists compilation that has a really good track from it, but have yet to hold one in my hands. Off to eBay I go!!!

Just put one out for $8 two days ago.

NYC Nerd Stampede

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    i think i always say the same thing when this topic comes out, but when it comes to super-common cheap albums that too often get passed up, this is 1 of my favorites. i guess it might seem like an obvious buy to some, but most of my friends have never bothered w/it due to the cheesiness of the title track. rest of the album is awesome, imho.

In the name of Omar Moreno, there's no need to defend We Are Family.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    goatboy said:
    Here's a couple a bit more in the rock vein...

Crosby's solo is definitely not as slept on anymore as it once was, but if you don't already have this one and flip past it make sure to grab it up.
    Amazing playing and songs.

Goatboy, long time no see fella.

It was a thread here that hipped me to this album, it now lives in my 'i really should file these back' pile, but it never makes it back to the expedit, A solid favorite.

i had the exact same experience.
    i have had an unfounded (though it still lingers in all truth) distaste for David Crosby as a person for along time, but someone on here had this as an avatar for a while and it kinda seeped into my subconsciuos as something i needed to check. Glad i did. Belated thank you to whomever that was.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Tommy James and the Shondells "Travelin'" their last LP...good stuff: top shelf psych, blue eyed soul, rock

"spanish lady" is the shit...one of my favorite guitar solos

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

"spanish lady" is the shit...one of my favorite guitar solos

YES. If Only We Knew is one of my favorite jazz things evar.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Tommy James and the Shondells "Travelin'" their last LP...good stuff: top shelf psych, blue eyed soul, rock

Also the first Tommy James solo record:

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    BOB JAMES TOUCHDOWN
    REED SEED

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I know we determined in a thread a year or two back that only 3-4% of Soul Strut poasters actually take the pot ... but those of you in the minority with me who are known to puff should really drop the $8 next time you see this one in the prog section. The mellowest of mellows. Hell, some of you squares might like it too - maybe those into Steely Dan ... or Ned Doheny

Fazon ... Orange Peel ... take me away, like Calgon.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Horseleech said:
    pickwick33 said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    BAN

B/W

despite the folky drawings of acoustic guitars on the front and back covers, and the cornball Harry Chapin-esque album title, this LP is actually funked-up soul jazz from the early 70's with a great band including Cornell Dupree and Ray Barretto. I'm sure it would fall under "tacky funk" for many, but if this LP were on Blue Note it would get sweated, and I have found multiple copies all over the place, for $5 or less every time. I bet if you bid on one on eBay you could get it for like $4. Try getting Jack Wilkins for $4 ...

I gotta get my ass out to Boston, then, because I've never seen this. At. All.

Heard of it, seen pictures of it, been on the lookout for it, read an old interview with Berliner where he made reference to it, have a Mainstream various-artists compilation that has a really good track from it, but have yet to hold one in my hands. Off to eBay I go!!!

Just put one out for $8 two days ago.

NYC Nerd Stampede

Here is a sound clip for those who haven't heard it and are curious about it. I have a copy at $15, but shipping is from Europe.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

I know we determined in a thread a year or two back that only 3-4% of Soul Strut poasters actually take the pot ... but those of you in the minority with me who are known to puff should really drop the $8 next time you see this one in the prog section. The mellowest of mellows. Hell, some of you squares might like it too - maybe those into Steely Dan ... or Ned Doheny

"Fazon" is a stepper's cut in Chicago. Despite this, the price has not gone up on this LP.

• neil young playing a vocoder and going all balearic-electro in 1982? i ride.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    tabira said:
    faux_rillz said:
    tabira said:
    OK It's very well known to a lot of people but it's also dirt cheap and common as muck so I wonder how if any new generation beat heads pass it up. If it was on Eastbound it would go for 200$. The first track is mind blowing.

Please be serious.

Neither good nor slept on.

Typical Faux - taking pop shots from the parapets. Like I care what you think.

Let's be clear: all you little dudes hold your breath until I speak on an album

Problem Big dude, is that even when you do speak you say nothin'.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    I have the feeling this is slept-on though I could be wrong. Love the track "Mirage for miles"

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,888 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

someone on here had this as an avatar

It was RAJ IIRC.

I have yet to muster up the courage to encounter this.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    Cosign.
    This hits the mellow just right.

pickwick33 said:
    SoulOnIce said:

"Fazon" is a stepper's cut in Chicago. Despite this, the price has not gone up on this LP.
    Now you guys have me interested.
    I'll have to check for this...

nzshadow said:
    goatboy said:

Crosby's solo is definitely not as slept on anymore as it once was, but if you don't already have this one and flip past it make sure to grab it up.

It was a thread here that hipped me to this album, it now lives in my 'i really should file these back' pile, but it never makes it back to the expedit, A solid favorite.
    Hiya NZ! What's up?

If you like the Crosby then you should give that Youngbloods a try.
    It's a different sound but I think it reaches similar places if you know what I mean...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    nzshadow said:
    goatboy said:

Indeed. The one Dave Castillo was the fellow who clamped my hands around this lp while in Detroit many moons ago and I can't thank him enough. Pick this one up frequently for friends and fam.

• SoulOnIce said:
    I know we determined in a thread a year or two back that only 3-4% of Soul Strut poasters actually take the pot...

wait. really??!?

i'm assuming this was of course an exaggeration, but still--i basically assumed almost everyone on SS smokes. except maybe some of the parents. but even then...

• J i m s t e r said:
    mrmatthew said:

someone on here had this as an avatar

I have yet to muster up the courage to encounter this.

really?

I love this record and also pick up copies for friends whenever i see one..

• pickwick33 said:
    SoulOnIce said:

i was just jamming this outside the other day... great stoned, summer vibes.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Bennie Maupin Slow traffic to the right (Remains to be seen w/ Patrice Rushen, Quasar , You know the deal etc) Can't seem to embed you tube videos so here's the link.

Just heard a sound file of the Sopwith Camel - very nice.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    BreakSelf said:
    mrmatthew said:
    nzshadow said:
    goatboy said:

i gotta say a thread hipped me to this classic and it's a great LP that any music fan/people coming ove to your crib will love
    stepmom,guitar teacher have all paused and asked who is that?

when i took a my lil prot??g?? to his first record shop they had it on a wall for 5$ with sticker that said YOU MUST OWN THIS!

Indeed. The one Dave Castillo was the fellow who clamped my hands around this lp while in Detroit many moons ago and I can't thank him enough. Pick this one up frequently for friends and fam.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    I know we determined in a thread a year or two back that only 3-4% of Soul Strut poasters actually take the pot...

wait. really??!?

i'm assuming this was of course an exaggeration, but still--i basically assumed almost everyone on SS smokes. except maybe some of the parents. but even then...

really, not hyperbole, at least not much ... I assumed the same as you until we had that thread and poaster after poaster was like "never tried it" "I quit 10 years ago" "never did anything for me" etc etc etc until I started to feel reaaaally lonely haha.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    until I started to feel reaaaally lonely haha.

Hola, compadre.

HarveyCanal said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    until I started to feel reaaaally lonely haha.

Hola, compadre.
    Count me in as one of the 3%.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    Plus this has a nice beat on it too,the last cut. Under a min long but it's a hawt one.

SoulOnIce said:

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    axefoley said:
    Plus this has a nice beat on it too,the last cut. Under a min long but it's a hawt one.

SoulOnIce said:

Just picked this up at Mylatency's moving sale. Fazon is my jam for days. Huge cosign.