Suggestions to get new stuff

The SearchThe Search 13 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Hi There,

I'm new to the Strut.
Been "collecting" records for about a year, so i'm still "fresh" to this game.

I like getting the more rare records, ranging form soul to funk to psych funk and jazzy euro funk.
I have some favorites that i like playing on and on and on...
And every record has a different reason way I play them that much.
When i'm looking for something simular to the stuff i like, i get stuck because it's hard to find something with the same vibe.. So at this moment I need some inspiration on my way to find some new records.
Could ya'll help me out/ give some advice on what to get/ listen?

This are the records i really dig and play often:

Euro funk
- Nico Gomez - Ritual
- Cortex - Troupeaux Blue
- Niagara - same (with the titites on the cover)
- Sunbirds - same on basf (kllaus weiss, fritz pauer)

Fusion stuff
- Deirde Wilson Tabac - same
- Shuggie Otis - Inspiration information
- Odyssey - same on MoWest
- Barbara and Ernie - Prelude to
- Black Merda - same on Chess

Funk
- Cane & Able - Same (the one with 'girl you move me')
- Lemuria - same
- Tony and reality - same

Anybody got any suggestions what to look out for?
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheerz,

The Search
Amsterdam

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The Search said:

Fusion stuff

- Odyssey - same on MoWest
    - Barbara and Ernie - Prelude to

I wouldn't call this fusion but if you like the 70s folky-jazzy stuff I'd recommend Batteaux S/T, Lou Bond S/T, Terry Callier on Cadet, Lani Hall Sundown Lady plus another male-female duet LP like the Barbara and Ernie - I forget the artists' names but it's known for a track called Chick-a-boom. Someone here might know. You can You Tube most of these artists to check them out first

• Hi Tabira,

Thanks for responding. The Chick-a-boom track is from Jimmie& Vella, got that record, nice one though..

Thanks!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Out of curiosity why when you've only been "collecting" for only a year, do you "like getting the more rare records"? Do you just ignore the solid staples? Do you ever take a punt on unknown records in hope of unearthing a gem. Or do you just buy established wall pieces, that somebody else has labelled essential?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Okem said:
    ... just buy established wall pieces, that somebody else Faux has labelled essential?

I believe this is the de-facto M.O. around these parts, esp. when it comes to Grover Washington and t3h rapps.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Search, go to Waxwell, browse the store, and if you can put up with Leons dirty feet, ask him the same questions.

• @ Nzshadow: Thanks, offcourse i'm familliar with waxwell!
    And no, I can't put up with Leons smelly feet..

@ Okem: No i don't ignore the solid staples... I buy a lot of stuff even it is not rare, as long as it is funky!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    How many James Brown records do you own?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    The Search said:
    I buy a lot of stuff even it is not rare, as long as it is funky!

Channeling Soul Marcosa? The authentic black funky music!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Search said:

Been "collecting" records for about a year, so i'm still "fresh" to this game.

I like getting the more rare records, ranging form soul to funk to psych funk and jazzy euro funk.

Chew your food

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    So if you have Tony and Reality, do you also have the stronger Reality LP on original Pink Elephant?
    The Brazilian Polydor issue is not the og.

Other Dutch pressing goodies in the funky & euro jazz style you've mentioned liking are...

Fred Van Zegfeld - Dynamite
    Dave Pike - Got The Feeling
    Belgian group Placebo if you don't have them, three albums in total...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You should get Implanted Root's Ragged Frenzy, and Johann Crowley's Happenstance, and Finnastar Jones's Woke Up in a Custard, and Reticulian Cancer's Friends of Days, and Carol Godley's Up Ain't Always the Opposite of Down, and Brazen Attic's Memories of Wood.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Demon Fuzz: Afreaka! (Dawn/Janus)
    Karin Krog: We Could Be Flying (Polydor)
    The Beginning Of The End: Funky Nassau (Alston)
    Grant Green: Live At The Lighthouse (Blue Note)
    Placebo: Ball Of Eyes (CBS)
    Placebo: 1973 (CBS)
    Placebo: Placebo (Harvest)
    Milton Wright: Friends And Buddies (Alston)
    Thony Shorby Nwenyi: Sweet Funk Music (Feathers)

• @TDLT Placebo records i own (reissues though)... I don't have the pink elephant issue of reality yet..

@Cosmo - with or without the grodreck whipperjenny record?

@HarveyCanal - GO F SOMEBODY ELSE

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

Placebo Sessions.

Much cheaper.

Duderonomy said:
    Reynaldo said:

Placebo Sessions.

Much cheaper.
    Comps are soft.

Reynaldo said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Reynaldo said:

Placebo Sessions.

Much cheaper.
    Comps are soft.

That one's hard. ??45 isn't that cheap!

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Reynaldo said:

Placebo Sessions.

Much cheaper.

Word is the sound quality on that Placebo comp is not the best, might be better to track down those recent bootlegs that appeared in Belgium & Holland.
    I've heard from some people that they are well done, but can't say for sure as I play from the original copies when feeling like a bit of Marc Moulin on the turntable...

You should certainly look out for a copy of Ben & The Platano Group - Paris Soul, tough funky latin with a touch of Santana guitar vibe going on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Young Holt Unlimited Plays Superfly > Curtis Mayfield Superfly

TDLT02 said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Reynaldo said:

Placebo Sessions.

Much cheaper.

Word is the sound quality on that Placebo comp is not the best, might be better to track down those recent bootlegs that appeared in Belgium & Holland.
    I've heard from some people that they are well done, but can't say for sure as I play from the original copies when feeling like a bit of Marc Moulin on the turntable...

Should do a Pepsi Challenge. Sounds ok to me, but obviously would be nice to have an og. Sound quality is my main interest though. Not sure why labels like Jazzman don't focus on reproducing good sounding re-issues of not-so-rare, but hard-to-find in good condition records. As well as rare stuff like Marc Moulin!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Reynaldo said:

Placebo Sessions.

Much cheaper.
    Comps are soft.

So is "E-digging".

• if you have as many records as it seems you must, given your responses thus far, you couldn't possibly have invested any real time listening to what you already have in the span of a year. i'd suggest playing the hell out of what you have for a while and seeing what really means something to you, rather than building up some sort of surface level checklist. not to say you shouldn't keep buying records in the meantime, but it's important to actually take time to listen.

catalist said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Reynaldo said:

Placebo Sessions.

Much cheaper.
    Comps are soft.

So is "E-digging".
    Softer still is having a weak ass collection on account of not E-digging.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Should do a Pepsi Challenge. Sounds ok to me, but obviously would be nice to have an og. Sound quality is my main interest though. Not sure why labels like Jazzman don't focus on reproducing good sounding re-issues of not-so-rare, but hard-to-find in good condition records. As well as rare stuff like Marc Moulin!
    Not Jazzman who did Placebo, but Jake from Hastings, who owned and ran Counterpoint Records.
    He put out the Placebo compilation, along with the Marc Moulin - Sam Suffy reissue back in the mid 90s.

Sam Suffy also got a nice Japanese reissue late 90s, early 2000s.
    A double album cut at 45rpm, so should be a nice loud pressing...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Search said:

Softest one out there. Seriously though, how many James Brown records do you have and have listened to? If you've been collecting for 1 year then his catalog should have been enough to digest without getting distracted by all that "raer" drivel. How about these guys?

Sly Stone
    Roy Ayers
    Curtis Mayfield
    EWF
    P-Funk
    Isley Brothers
    Kool & The Gang
    War
    Meters
    Mandrill

Not saying, just saying. I've been collecting over 20 years and have a shit-load or RAER there's a reason why records by these artists are consistently at the top of one's listening lists.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    The Search said:

Softest one out there. Seriously though, how many James Brown records do you have and have listened to? If you've been collecting for 1 year then his catalog should have been enough to digest without getting distracted by all that "raer" drivel. How about these guys?

Sly Stone
    Roy Ayers
    Curtis Mayfield
    EWF
    P-Funk
    Isley Brothers
    Kool & The Gang
    War
    Meters
    Mandrill

Not saying, just saying. I've been collecting over 20 years and have a shit-load or RAER there's a reason why records by these artists are consistently at the top of one's listening lists.

Cosmo is correct....

These kind of records are the foundations for you to then build the rest of your collection on. There are many great tracks that are on $10 records, musically strong, just not rare. Always nice to have rare stuff in the collection, but a broad mix of great music (which means incoprporating cheap records) is the goal....

• so after only 1 year of collecting you already scored a "cortex", a "grodeck whipperjenny", and a nico gomez ritual og's?

either you are the most prodigious digger there ever was or you're dropping serious loot for these kind of pieces. if its the former, then def. good on you but if its the latter then that is a bit weird.

if its not about spending lots of money and having super-expensive records that are only impressive to other record nerds and that you only listen to once in a blue moon because they are so damn valuable, then check out that thread about cheap records that are slept on.

frankly, being a beginning collector is the best. so many great things to discover for cheap. don't conflate "raer" with "good". sure, every once in a while something like a matt larkin cassell is discovered where the music is truly great and is genuinely rarer but that is the exception to the rule...

• so after only 1 year of collecting you already scored a ???cortex???, a ???grodeck whipperjenny???, and a nico gomez ritual og???s?

either you are the most prodigious digger there ever was or you???re dropping serious loot for these kind of pieces. if its the former, then def. good on you but if its the latter then that is a bit weird

Yes i have scored those OG's and i don't care about playing them, because i buy them to be played. Simply because i like to listen to them and enjoy the sound of it.
    And i'm no serious digger.. Don't know where to find the time to go trough staples of records, because off a my serious dayjob.. So yes i did dropped serious loot to get them..

Tell me why is that weird?

• the weird part is that at this very early stage you're spending serious loot to get raer things and bypassing stuff that is waaaay better and easier to obtain. i mean you have the raerest jb production but do you have all the best ones that can be had for much much cheaper? have you run through the godfather's complete catalogue yet?

• @ Cosmo

I hear what you say..
    Thanks for that, appreciated.
    And for me it is not only about being rare, this post was just ment to get some inspiration for new stuff that is sounding like the records i mentioned..
    And whit that i wasn't trying to say that i won't buy Jame Brown, Kool & the gang or Eddie Kendricks, or Mandrill of Curtis or Love Unlimited or Maxayn or Smokey Robinson etc etc...

• No i haven't...