RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
What are your thoughts on this album?

Yay

Nay

or Ghey?

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I say Yay for the most part. I find I like the more synth-pop stuff better than the big dance tracks like "Situation" these days. Either way there are some great songs and Alison Moyet had a superb voice.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    First real not-just-little-kids-anymore party I ever went to back when I was like 11-12, all the girls there couldn't stop talking about Yaz. Cut to about 8 years later and I let a girlfriend talk me into going to an Erasure concert. Definitely uber gay, but all them girls man, the girls.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Crazy. I never knew that Yazoo had a different name in the US, you really do learn something new every day.

Never had their album but for the singles alone it gets a big Ghey Yay from me. Great combination of big voice and big synths.

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    middle track on the second side (??) made me happy with my salvation army purchase

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Yay all the way. "Situation" and "Don't Go" > DWYCK.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    This album was the soundtrack of the summer 1983; my teenaged female cousins had the cassette on constant rotation in the boom box. It's not an album for me, it's a time machine. That said, I didn't care for it then and I'm not wild about it now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Absolute Yay.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Junior said:
    Crazy. I never knew that Yazoo had a different name in the US, you really do learn something new every day.

Yeah, there was a blues band who'd already copyrighted the name, so it was simpler to bin the "oo". I've still got the US 12" of Situation with the Kervorkian mixes - that was a record that got a proper caning during my early adventures in DJing.

Alison Moyet is looking kinda sylph-like these days, relatively speaking.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    YAY. The combo both of them made was perfect.
    "Situation" was a massive hit here, most infectious synth grooves ever.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bassie said:
    Absolute Yay.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Junior said:

I knew there was Yaz and Yazoo. But I didn't know they were the same!

I always thought it was Yazoo for "situation" etc and Yaz for "the only way is up"

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Yay all the way. "Situation" and "Don't Go" > DWYCK.

hahahaha. excellent

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    RAJ said:
    What are your thoughts on this album?

Yay

Nay

or Ghey?

oh also this album cover used to give me nightmares as a kid. i was so disturbed by the separation of legs from the torso. and how they were posed facing each other like they were about to arm wrestle.

and yay